Justifying the price of hairdressers in Germany

70 posts in this topic

I remember a few years back when I used to frequent Wirtshaus Ligsalz. A friend of the owner used to work there parttime just for something to do. When he wasn't pulling pints he was travelling the world as the personal hairdresser to the German wife of the Aga Khan, Begum Inaara Aga Khan. Nice work if you can get it. I believe they are divorced now.

I'll believe that someone goes to France specially to buy shampoo sooner than I'd believe this load of shite! :D

but better still as i Do hair at home, a glass of wine is even better

Didn't think that was allowed in Germany, too American and all. Chris hasn't had a problem getting a good cut, only catch is you have to pay through the nose. Our current place, family run outfit, they do a great job but expect to pay, quite expensive. They also charge by every item, wash cut dry style etc, gets expensive fast. They get annoyed with her because its a "cut" only, no wash, no style no drying. Recently the son got in an argument with the mother because they did a half colour (tops only) and so he wanted to charge her half price.

What I find so odd is they've been in business for 30 years and no one, except us, complain about the prices.

On the positive they serve a fabulous coffee!

Hello guys. How do I get a barber for African (afro) hair. With style? In Leipzig, Hassen or somewhere near. And what is the range of prices?

On 23.5.2006, 19:34:43, Chicago said:

I have yet to get a decent haircut here. oh how I miss the $10, walk-ins only, barbers of home!

Just come to Cyprus. I pay € 6.- for a haircut. € 10 at the posh places in bigger towns.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

Just come to Cyprus. I pay € 6.- for a haircut. € 10 at the posh places in bigger towns.

Hi Jeba - I found a recent picture under your profile - is this the € 6 or € 10 cut?  :D:D:D

mull2.jpg.eb54f3a109b563ef1ec625cf72778a

The trick to getting a decent hair cut in Germany is...to not go to a German hairdresser.

When I moved her from London, I went to a German hairdresser and gave her the same instructions as I had to the South African woman who had previously cut my hair in London. 

She ignored me completely, saying she knew better. 

Two weeks later, I looked like I had a haystack on my head again. 

Before I found the Japanese hairdresser I currently had, i went to one place that had a Turkish hairdresser and an Iranian hairdresser in it. Then for a while, I did have a German hairdresser, but she was at Toni & Guy, a UK chain that constantly keeps the skills of their staff members up to date.

Then I went to Hotel Nikko here in D'dorf and went to the place called 'Wing'. When the current Japanese hairdresser was poached by an Italian place over on Berliner Allee (Artigiani), I followed her. I now let her do whatever she wants with my hair. My only instruction is either "Make me look good" or "Make me look 10 years younger". She's lovely. 

On 10/27/2020, 10:01:49, Rommie said:

How do I get a barber for African (afro) hair. With style? In Leipzig, Hassen or somewhere near.

Ah German hair butchers. Remember them well. We have them in the Alsace too. Pay a fortune, look like a scarecrow. :rolleyes: I guess I am trying to say I concur with Nina. I would offer the same advice for getting a dentist... oh, and your gynocologist... except that would be derailing the thread.

I was too chicken to go to a Friseur so after contemplating what to do with my real long hair, I cut my own hair to about my shoulders. Can't say I did an amazing job but it should do the trick until this pandemic is over. It is wavy hair so forgiving to mistakes. 

@Narjiz wavy or curly hair forgives a lot, the longer, the better, obviously.  To trim my hair I brush it out straight behind me, tie off the end, and the clip straight across with hair trimming scissors.  Then I pull it all forward on one side and brush it straight together, trim the ends, repeat on the other side.  The result is surprisingly neat and even, and pulling it to one side and then the other prevents it looking like it was chopped off with a lawnmower blade.  The ends are lightly layered but even.  For a long, layered, shoulder length bob you can also brush all the hair back and ponytail it at the nape of the neck, pull the hair tie out to the desired length, and cut.  If you go for a shorter bob you might need to shave/trim the hair at the nape of the neck to neaten it up a bit.

I do recommend using proper barber shears if you're not doing so already, to prevent split ends from forming right away.