Justifying the price of hairdressers in Germany

70 posts in this topic

Will you go back there, DDBug?

To me, 28 euro is pretty cheap, but I doubt the others on this thread would agree.

Yeah - I'll probably go back. Until I get bored of her hair cutting skills or the styles she gives me (or they go out of business).

After all - it's hair. It grows. I have only had one haircut that was so bad it took months to grow out because it was so short.

funny, I will go longer between cuts, but I will not scrimp on my hair. I found a good salon, and it costs me 47 Euro for a cut, but the service is worth it IMO.

men complain about the hairdressers prices make me laugh considering they always get the cheapest haricuts on the price list ? i don't want to know how much money i had to pay extra because i have long hair.

I don't mind paying the extra if it's worth it. At the moment I'm getting my hair cut for €20, nothing spectacular but not a disaster either and an OK price by German standards. When I was in Frankfurt I was paying Tony and Guy around €45 but I think I got good value out of that. Unfortunately there is no Tony and Guy here in Hamburg but I'm on the lookout for a good hairdresser!

But I have to wonder about some of the places. For people who are supposed to be trained professionals they are very amateur in their results. My mother used to give me better haircuts when I was a kid than some of these places... ah those photos from back then :lol:

men complain about the hairdressers prices make me laugh considering they always get the cheapest haricuts on the price list ? i don't want to know how much money i had to pay extra because i have long hair.

One of the many joys of being a man :P

Do you know any guy that would pay that amount for a little trim? We complain when we have to pay nearly €30 so it's no wonder so many of us have shaved heads - albeit some are naturally shaved :lol:

... but yeah I agree with you on that. I've seen some of my friends go in and just get the split ends trimmed off and get charged double what I get charged...

I bought a buzz clipper at Media Markt and have done my own for a few years.

My friend asked if I did it myself and I said yeah, and then we did like 7 minutes of the "no way, yes way" game, before he saw I wouldn't relent, then he caved.

Silly guy! Of course I do it myself! Carlos down the street always got it wrong, so that's when I started.

Note: After cutting, I always reward myself for the savings then afterwards with a lunch at the Thai buffet, or maybe by baking a loaf of banana bread. (Gawd! Does banana have an "e"? And if not, why?)

Anyway, Carlos, I could do a better job on you than you on me!

If he cut Ricky Martin's hair, then yes... :rolleyes:

Am I mistaking this for Sin's high school thread, but that profile picture is definately Ricky Martin as a child.

you have to remember that Hairdressing is in the 'berufschule', so these are the kids that took any course because they had to, and they couldn't get into Real Schule or Gymansium.

most don't want to work or learn anymore- heck they have their abschluß, so why?

True Carm. When I first moved here I met girl who is half Canadian. She had moved here when she was 10 and ended up in Hauptschule. She became a stylist by studying at the local Berufschule and eventually went to work for Vidal Sassoon here in Munich. She always tried to put on airs around me for some reason. So when I was looking for a place to have my hair done when I first moved here, I asked her about Vidal Sassoon. She said, "oh, I don't know if it is in your price range." I just had to laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

edit: this is the same girl who when I told her that I had to wash my hair with bottled water because the level of chalk in the water was so high, said to me, "you're so American". But there was a tremendous amount of chalk in the water at the first house I lived in in Grunwald. <_< I haven't needed to do that in 5 years but still...the chalk made my hair like straw at first.

edit: she was also eventually fired from Vidal Sassoon

At the moment I'm getting my hair cut for €20

Mine costs me less than 3 quid. I always give her a pound tip, which as a percentage is obscene but... 4 quid for a haircut?

If you're thinking of going, though, it will cost you 100EUR for the flight and about 50 quid for rail tickets to Wales.

You men have it so easy when it comes to your hair. I can't believe you're complaining. I have a friend who only buys her shampoo in France. She can't get it anywhere else and can't order it so she goes there and gets it. Now that is commitment to your hair!

Now that is commitment to your hair!

first stop when I am home- hairdresser for a cut, colour and product stock up! :ph34r:

she has even come in for me on a sunday to touch my hair up before I fly back here, :rolleyes:

I never pay more than about 13 Euros (as I did on monday) and that included washing. The cheapest haircut I ever had was 8 Australian dollars including washing, but it´s not worth flying to Australia just for a haircut.

A good friend of mine and his wife regulary travel from Lyon to Birmingham (England) for a haircut...I kid you not.

You men have it so easy when it comes to your hair. I can't believe you're complaining. I have a friend who only buys her shampoo in France. She can't get it anywhere else and can't order it so she goes there and gets it. Now that is commitment to your hair!

That's not commitment, that's idiocy. I'd like to think that she travels to France regularly and so picks up her favourite brand when she's over. That sounds a little more sane than the implication above of her travelling to France specially for shampoo.

A good friend of mine and his wife regulary travel from Lyon to Birmingham (England) for a haircut...I kid you not.

They travel specifically for a haircut or they just travel regularly and get it done when there? Same as with the example above, if it's the former then they are nut jobs, if the latter then fine.

I remember a few years back when I used to frequent Wirtshaus Ligsalz. A friend of the owner used to work there parttime just for something to do. When he wasn't pulling pints he was travelling the world as the personal hairdresser to the German wife of the Aga Khan, Begum Inaara Aga Khan. Nice work if you can get it. I believe they are divorced now.