Justifying the price of hairdressers in Germany

70 posts in this topic

ok here is my story. i went to the place at the hauptbahnhof right beside the bayern munich fan shop and the first question i asked the lady was english? thank god she spoke english and she said you will have to wait. so i took a seat and was watching this old guy cutting someone's hair. He cut the back side and the sides really short and kept the top comparatively much longer. i thought ok maybe the guy wanted it like that. after he was done with him, the person waiting before me went and sat down. AND HE STARTED DOING THE SAME THING TO HIM!!! i got scared shitless and went to the lady and said i have an appointment at marienplatz with someone. i will be right back and got my ass out of there ASAP!!! bottom line, i am too damn scared to get a haircut here and i might just let it grow till i go back home. even some of the hairdresser's hairdos scare the living daylight out of me.

If they spoke English why didn't you just tell them want you wanted? The other guys may have been regulars and liked their hair like that.

I have a local hairdresser just around the corner from where I live and although the old chap who owns the place does a reasonable job, he is also quite expensive at €20 a time.

OK, so this includes wash and blow dry, but I still find that rather on the expensive side.

The result; I go there far less frequently than I used to in the UK.

If they spoke English why didn't you just tell them want you wanted? The other guys may have been regulars and liked their hair like that.

the woman at the counter spoke english, i never got a chance to talk to the barber. i ran away before i could. hehe.

@Adi: Munich is an entirely different kettle of fish from Hamburg.

I know some guys from Hamburg who are always complaining about hair cuts/prices in Munich.

There is a new haridresser by my flat in Swabbing on Hohenzollerstr. Think that is the spelling. Anyhow, chain from the north of Germany. The cuts of the people who work there is a bit off-putting as it is Urban Hair Design. But the place is fantastic. They are a new shop and I got my hair, cut, colored, washed and styled for $40 Euro. The cut itself is only 5 euro due to the special they have for their opening. And they do a really good job. The show they put on while cutting your hair is quite impressive, flinging the scissors round their fingers like they are in a western film. I came out of there quite impressed and releived that my hair wasnt in 4 different colors with half a mullet on one side and shaved on the other side as the hairdressers was. They are first come first serve. So when you walk in they tell you when they can cut your hair. Defintely that day though. The earlier you get in there the better as they are busy.

I was 16 and went to the local hairdressers in my home town. As I was waiting, Julie, a girl I fancied (and who new it) walked past me wearing a barbers apron. 'Hey Julie', I said. 'What are you doing here?'

'Hiya! I've just started my apprenticeship as a hairdresser. Started two weeks ago.' She smiled.

'Ah, cool. You gonna do my hair?'

'Sure, if Tony lets me. I can start at least.'

My turn comes around and I sit in the chair. Julie wraps the apron thingy around me and I stare at the price list.

'So what do you want doing then?' She says, poised to squirt my head with a squirty bottle.

'Yeah, uh - a blow job please.'

Quiet.

'Sorry. What did you say?'

Tony's hairdrier goes still.

'A blow job please.'

I notice the look on her face; glance over at Tony. He has a sentence on his lips but says nothing. The old guy in front of tony stares at me with an eyebrow raised. Whats wrong? The penny drops.

Shit!

'Blow and cut! I meant a blow and cut...'

:D

Have to laugh... sorry!! But if it's any consolation my first time here was similar.

Had arrived in Germany with little German and a few months had passed. At this stage my hair was crazy, almost affro - I would usually have it trimmed on the back with a blade 2 or 3 and short on top! The only reason I hadn't gone sooner was I was afraid of coming out looking like a disaster, especially when you just look around at some the Germans displays!

So myself and my friend plucked up the courage to go after one of our German classes. We picked somewhere that was close by and looked OK which just happened to be across from the Haupbahnhof in Frankfurt ;) ah, hindsight! With my poor German I tried to explain that I would like a blade 3 around the sides and back and blend it up, short on top and thin it out a bit --- really should have kept it simple and just said short all over! What a disaster, can't even describe what I looked like but it was worse than anything you would ever see a German with. It was short on top and uneven around the sides and back and there was even a step in it. 40DM--- bloody hell I thought, but at least my friends looked just as bad.

So off home we went on the s-bahn with our heads bowed in shame, blushing to all the snickering and finger pointing. Our mates burst out laughing when they saw us. It was so bad that we couldn't do anything with it so we borrowed a friends razor and shaved our heads!

Many years later and I'm now in Hamburg and still looking for a good hairdresser. I'm always shi**in it every time I have to go. Don't know what the obsession is with hairdressers here is but it looks like anyone can open one. I walk 6 mins to the u-bahn every morning/evening to work and I pass 6 hairdressers!! Not easy find a good one!

it was worse than anything you would ever see a German with.

Now that takes some doing! :o

The last German I let near my hair must have trained on one of those meat blocks you get kebabs off. Never again. I just wait until I go home, now, and get it done there.

Hi all

I know how all of you are feeling about hairdressers, I have lived in Frankfurt for nearly 3 months now and back in the UK I could get a haircut for £7-9 but a couple of weeks after i got here my hair needed cutting again soooo... I went on my own a non German speaker only halo, danke and Bitte into frankfurt city and looking for a hairdresser that spoke english and wasnt expensive like toni & guy, I found 2, one of which the lady didnt speak english but her assistant did but she got nasty when I couldnt explain how many inches I wanted of so she showed me the door and the other just shut the door in my face.:-0

I came back home quiet upset and there is a hairdresses around the corner from where I live, I took my partner who speaks a little German and managed to get a appointment, again like all the hairdressers a Wash, cut and blow dry and with a coffee available, and it cost me 38 euros i was very pleased with what she had done and wouldnt mind going back there when i feel i need pampering but 38 euros is a bit steep.

Have to laugh... sorry!! But if it's any consolation my first time here was similar.

Don't know what the obsession is with hairdressers here is but it looks like anyone can open one. I walk 6 mins to the u-bahn every morning/evening to work and I pass 6 hairdressers!! Not easy find a good one!

Im pretty sure no-one can simply open one here. I believe to be a hairdresser you have to train for 2 or 3 years get your diploma, (think its one of the most popular "Berufsausbildungen" of all). Plus to set up on your own you probably need some sort of license from the chamber of commerce, or hairdressers "Innungen" (Guild) or whatever.

All the more surprising then that peoples experiences of german hairdressers are such horror.. or maybe its just a cultural difference somewhere along the line.

you have to remember that Hairdressing is in the 'berufschule', so these are the kids that took any course because they had to, and they couldn't get into Real Schule or Gymansium. <_<

most don't want to work or learn anymore- heck they have their abschluß, so why? :blink:

I'll cut anybody's hair. No faffing around deciding on a style, you won't have much to dry afterwards and you get a free espresso.

Hats are in this summer by the way.

On a serious note I'll call bull on your post Carm. I don't think anybody who wants to avoid work picks hairdressing as a career, it's picked by people who actually wanted to do it.

That's programmers you're thinking of.

And if you want to own your own salon, you have to get a further certification as a "Meister."

I notice that so far nobody has posted that they get a great haircut for cheap.

Hats are in this summer by the way.

On a serious note I'll call bull on your post Carm. I don't think anybody who wants to avoid work picks hairdressing as a career, it's picked by people who actually wanted to do it.

That's programmers you're thinking of.

No I don't think so, they need to pick a career, so, oh, great hairdressing, thinking all the postives, but then when they see its acutally work, standing all day, and need retraining, those are the people working in these cheap shops. Careers are never as glamourous as the thoughts of those freshly entering the field.

I notice that so far nobody has posted that they get a great haircut for cheap.

I did!

Ok - it was a place advertising 14 euros for women and then they did the typical nickle and dime you with 2 euros for conditioner, 2 euros for gel, (3 euros for comb rental, 50 cents for water and 50 cents for shampoo, or at least that's what it felt like ;) ) and ended up paying 28 euros.

But I got a great cut, a new style and I get lots of complements on it (IF I straighten it - it doesn't work well with my curly hair days).

Will you go back there, DDBug?

To me, 28 euro is pretty cheap, but I doubt the others on this thread would agree.

If you want a cheap hairdresser do it yourself.

Cutting hair isn't rocket science!

Maybe not, but how do you do the back?