Justifying the price of hairdressers in Germany

70 posts in this topic

This is not a rant, more of a question of how hairdressers justify their prices in Germany. I know the topic has been done to death but this is another perspective.

I went last week looking to get my hair cut in Trudering and visited three empty establishments, all of which told me I needed an appointment. I ended up making an appointment with the one that could "fit me in" the earliest and stipulated that all I required was a cut which they said was no problem. In the course of the last week I passed each of these hairdressers on several occasions, each time, each one of them was deserted apart from the staff and I wondered how they could survive. Today I found out!

When I arrived it was empty apart from the three girls that worked there. I was lead to a wash basin. I explained that I only wanted a cut but was told that the price was the same whether I had a wash or not. So the stylist washed my hair.

The other two employees pretend to be busy, but I know they are watching as I blush furiously. Next she dresses me in a number of contraptions that make me look as if I am going to play American football and asks me if I want a coffee. I accept because again it is included in the price. The only problem is that whatever she has dressed me in makes it impossible for me to move my arms to lift the cup of coffee and one of the other staff has to hand it to me. By this stage I am beginning to shake with embarrassment and cannot help but slurp as I drink the coffee, which is a great source of amusement to my attendees.

Thankfully the cut is quick but I notice that very little hair has been removed as a result of the process. At this stage I do not care and all I want to do is to get out of the place. But my ordeal is not over. The stylist insists on washing my hair once more before asking if I want a head massage which she maintains is "sehr schön". I forgo the head massage and pray that the blowdry will be quick and painless.

Eventually, it is over and the only thing I have to do to hasten my escape is pay up. "Siebenzwanzig" says the stylist and I think this is very cheap and hand her twenty saying "Zehn!" But no she repeats "Siebenundzwanzig!" and I end up paying thirty just to get out of there without further humiliation. From foot in the door to foot out the door it has been the longest twenty five minutes of my life and I have paid thirty Euro for the privilege. Not only that they have given me a stamped coupon which explains that my twelfth visit would be free. Considering I get my hair cut every six months, that would be in November 2012.

I now resemble Adolf Hitler, without the moustache. I saw a number of the neighbours making half hearted Gerrman salutes as I passed by. On closer examination one sideburn is an inch longer than the other. I knew my head was not entirely symmetrical but I did not think it was that lopsided. My German flatmate thinks it is wonderful and that I may well start a trend.

My four quid at the barbers or tenner at the hairdressers, if I really wanted to splash out, seems a lifetime away.

:lol: Sorry to laugh topcat but that was hilarious. Must admit when I first arrived in Germany it took me ages to find a decent hairdresser, they always seemed to think a trim meant short back and sides. I remember one particular time when I had my highlights and I got home and looked in the mirror and they had a green tinge to them. I went back and the first person that looked at them said she couldn't notice, so I asked her if she was colour blind. After having 5 different people look at it the last said, 'oh yes I can see it but only in the light'...what the bloody hell was I meant to do, only go out after dark, dozy mare. I got them to repair it but obviously never went their again.

welcome to germany... I have yet to get a decent haircut here. oh how I miss the $10, walk-ins only, barbers of home!

Topcat its a shame you dont live near me. I am a hairdresser and i only charge €15 for a cut and blowdry and i will also give you a free coffee, but better still as i Do hair at home, a glass of wine is even better.

Chicago, there's a new place in Munich on Schellingstr., about 2 blocks from Üniversität U-bahn. €10 for a wash and cut, walk-ins welcome. Open from early morning until 8pm I believe.

There is also a hair cutting place in the Munich Riem Arcadien (Not to far from Truderring) They have won many contests in DE/EU for there cuts and quality.. Check'em out there on the top floor...

In the area around the Munich Hauptbahnhof you can get a haircut for around €5 in some turkish barber shops... not sure on the coffee though and it looks more like you tripped into some lawn-mower.

Now that more of those blow-dry-yourself places are opening, maybe the prices in the salons will come down.

I personally would not recommend that you spend 6 euro on a bad haircut, though. Maybe it's just me, but I think a good haircut is more important than what you're wearing. You can change your clothes, but you've got to wear that haircut every day till it grows out.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a happy medium. I would recommend my stylist, but she charges men 25% more than the place you went.

:lol: nice story, topcat.

I hate those places that charge you according to the lenth of your hair. Surely long hair can't be THAT much more difficult to cut than short hair. We were out once and saw a sign for a salon that had three price categories: small, medium and large. :blink:

It's mostly to do with the hair products JennyL - they have to use much more shampoo, conditioner and styling (shine spray, hairspray whatever) if your hair's longer, and these professional hair products don't come cheap, it just adds up.

I hate those places that charge you according to the lenth of your hair. Surely long hair can't be THAT much more difficult to cut than short hair. We were out once and saw a sign for a salon that had three price categories: small, medium and large.

funny story, enjoyed it!

three price categories: small, medium and large... is that for different sized heads?

But there seem to be loads of 10 Euro a cut hairdressers opening, theres a chain of them around, at least here in Rhein-Main region.

It's mostly to do with the hair products JennyL - they have to use much more shampoo, conditioner and styling (shine spray, hairspray whatever) if your hair's longer, and these professional hair products don't come cheap, it just adds up.

And alot of places still charge for the mousse, spray and such- I got charged 1.50 per at a salon last year, after I paid 48 Euro for the cut! :angry:

Sorry, but that is just not right, they use the same amount of shampoo on short or long hair- one or 2 squirts, maybe more conditioner, but to justify a 10 Euro difference.

I never pay more than about 13 Euros (as I did on monday) and that included washing. The cheapest haircut I ever had was 8 Australian dollars including washing, but it´s not worth flying to Australia just for a haircut. B)

I've never heard of that Carm, that's silly! I hope you complained

Yep, went in for a cut and colour, came out with a 120 Euro bill, I did tell them my displeasure, and I have never gone back- just goes to show you cannot trust anything in the South (the shop was in Fürstenried). <_<

Good grief... You guys need to look around. That's like shopping for food at Harrods and complaining that those costs are typical for the UK. There are plenty of places where you can walk in and wait for a cut without making an appointment (at least up here). A decent dry cut costs me €10 and most places are open 08:00-20:00, 6 days a week. There are also plenty of freelancers who will come to your home and they're usually also pretty cheap - certainly much cheaper than a 'Salon'. Quick rule of thumb - if you see the word 'Salon' anywhere on the premises you know it's going to cost €€€€s.