Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Concert: Belle and Sebastian - Mainz - 22.May.2006

12 posts in this topic

Just found out that despite ordering my ticket for this evening's Mainz gig many months ago from Ticketbox for collection I never noticed that they I had to pick up the ticket from them within a few days. OOOOOOPS (big style)!!! Can anyone help??? Reasonable to ridiculous prices paid depending on how desperate I get as the possibility of missing the gig approaches. Message me, mail me or after about 5pm my mobile number is +49 172 624 7717.

After seeing the concert in Berlin last night, I hope you don't miss the gig in Mainz!

Was really good fun, with a mix of old and new.

@katrina-see you there B)

I had a similar problem. I reserved one on the 12th and i'm sure the woman said that I could collect it on the door. OK my German is not great, but the same situation happened when I went to see the Editors in Mouson in FFT. Luckly one of my German friends called them up caliming that I was visiting from outside Germany for the gig, and they majically found my tickets, or maybe extra tickets, but in any case I've learnt my lesson about tickets for Kuz. At least my Rock im Park ticket actually turned up in the post.

If you could go to Munich, I have a spare ticket for tomorrow night.

If I could get time off work at such short notice I'd be there!

After seeing the concert in Berlin last night, I hope you don't miss the gig in Mainz!

Was really good fun, with a mix of old and new.

@katrina-see you there

My friend who I normally go to see B&S with went to the Tramway for the recent all-dayer and he said that was possibly the best gig he's ever seen from them.

Got into the gig after all. Great night:

(One of the good things about living in Germany is that you sometimes get to see bands in more "intimate" venues. So, whilst, for example, Rufus Wainwright plays the Concert Hall or the Armadillo in Glasgow, I get to see him in the shed at the bottom of someone's garden. Same thing last night with B&S playing at a sort of mini-Arches type place.)

Supporting B&S on their current continental jaunt are Gravenhurst. Gravenhurst are, amongst other things, I believe what is known in the business as a "power trio". Unfortunately, the other things include (and I'll stick to "p" words to keep this quick) "pants" and "p1sh". I guess this isn't really surprising as all trio's in the history of music are rubbish. FACT! (The exception to the rule is Ben Folds Five and they were more aware of the rule than anyone to the extent they misleadingly named the band to avoid prejudice). Gravenhurst's songs have lots of long, noodly quiet bits, followed by lots of NOISY BITS. A bit like Mogwai with less tunes, and Mogwai aren't exactly abundant in that department. I'm sure this is all very fun to play if you're in your early 20s, hate yourself and want to die but that's all a bit 1994 for me.

A much nicer place to visit is 1996 so that's what B&S did by playing oodles of songs from Tigermilk, kicking off proceedings with Expectations and allegedly wearing the school blazer of the (female) subject of the song. Somehow, somewhere along the way in the last 10 years B&S have managed to become pretty much the all things to all men perfect pop group. You want barbed lyrics? Here comes I'm Waking Up To Us. You want indie-electronica? Here comes Electronic Renaissance. You want glam rock? Here's White Collar Boy. You want a band who can show off with their "look what we put out as B-sides"? Have The Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner and be off with you, good people. Then, to really show off an hour and a half after they started, when they come back for their encore, they announce they've still not played anything from the godlike genius that is "If You're Feeling Sinister". One quick (and gorgeous) "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying" later and we're getting a much requested Lazy Line Painter Jane featuring 2 girls from the audience to replace Monica Queen (except they don't sing, so Stuart sings it all himself, except he forget the lyrics and it's all a bit of a shambles but lots of fun nonetheless) and then it's over...just in time to get the last train out of town.

it was a great gig, and I agree about the small venues here being better for seeing your favourite bands. I saw them in the Usher Hall in Embra about 3 years ago, and that must have been 4 or more times the size of last night.

My friends and I missed 2 trains from FFT, got there at 9pm just enough time to buy a beer and push to the middle.

I was abit concious of knowing most of the lyrics and singing along though. Even got told off for talking while they were doing some crowd chat. I had almost forgotten I was in germany until that happened.

Still a great gig only marred by the lack of encores. Some people are never happy.

Ah, Belle and Sebastian. I loved that dubbed French serial when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Happy memories.

Not of the Singing Ringing Tree though, that was really scary!

/coat

it was a great gig, and I agree about the small venues here being better for seeing your favourite bands. I saw them in the Usher Hall in Embra about 3 years ago, and that must have been 4 or more times the size of last night.

Was that the night the girl came on stage to sing O Come O Come Emanuel, got stage fright and bolted? That was a good night.

OOOOO I'm soooooo looking forward to tonight after reading this - cheers hw3004!

can't remember now, could have been. Keep posting if you hear of any other good bands playing in the area. I was worried when I came here from London, that all I would see was Celine Dion, Chris rea etc, but i've seen Bloc Party, Editors, B&S. all good.