Lakes for open water swimming

39 posts in this topic

can anyone recommend soem nice lakes around munich that are good to go to for swimming and tanning?? preferably somewhere not overly busy.

thnx

A list of lakes - dunno if they're good or not

Staffelsee

Kochelsee

Feringasee

Ammersee

Starnbergsee

Found a couple of sites for you :

http://www.mrlodge.de/munichtour/e_munichtour_lakes.htm

http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/Sport_Fit...n_Munich/78871/

Feringa is round the corner from me but can get crowded. Staffelsee I really like, and you can walk/skate on it in winter when it's frozen over. Starnberg is touristy and the most well-known, 2nd well-known would maybe be Ammersee.

all the lakes are overly busy in the summer. munich is a large city and on the weekend everyone flees. if you want peace and quiet, go during the week. the wknds around amersee and starnbergersee are horrible, traffic en masse!

i like to go to woerthsee (a bit north of amersee), but there is not a real sunbathing patch and the lake is very mossy cause it's a nature preserve, but i've seen peeps swimming in it. my bf and i do bike trips out there, eat at the beergarden and relax a bit b4 heading home.

You cant relax at those big city lakes. Come down to Rosenheim. At Simsee and Happingersee you can always find a spot to yourself and get some good country air at the same time. Just dont bring all of Munich down with you!

You cant relax at those big city lakes

Of course you can. I went to Feringasee regularly last summer and relaxed my ass off. Another one, which is much quieter is Waldschwaigsee

Near Groebenzell there are all of these intercrossing signposted bike paths leading to olchingersee and others. They are absolutelz lovelz and being a bit out of the citz much nicer i think. Catch the S8 and then look on a map.. ... ahh.. id post piccies of the 3 lovely turquoise lakes that I rode and hiked to but my usb cord isnt with me right now...

@ PRESH; SORT OUT YOUR ZZZ AND YYYYY!!!

Or come back here to Munchkin and then we won't notice any more! :P

All the above are cool, also Walchensee (head down the Garmisch Motorway) is great especially for windsurfing, but not much beach.

Also Chiemsee you forgot, I love it there as there's loads of room and things to do. In summer they also have a reggae festival and the "Seebühne" (stage out on the lake) which is a really lovely night out, you watch a show or musical with the sun setting over the lake and the boat cruising by... aaaaahhh... :rolleyes:

http://www.seebuehne.de/main/programm.htm

Also Ammersee (e.g. Utting, opposite side from Kloster Andechs) and Starnbergersee (get S-Bahn one stop further than Starnberg, then you get away from the crowds) are cool. In Utting they have a Strandbad with a huge diving board, a sailing school, and a lovely old house where you can do the Frühschoppen on Sunday morning (champagne breakfast with live Blues / Jazz)

he he, I have the same y z dislexia... I can't remember now that I'm here but is it the case that the y's and z's are switched between German and N. American keyboards?? ... I thought I was the only one so I didn't tell anybody...

@keydeck: I agree. I spent an awful lot of time at the Feringasee last summer. It is especially nice if you can get there by bike, avoiding the horrible traffic jam out if the car park.

It does get full, but then so do all lakes and sees around here, but the water is warm and as long as the stream doesn't dry up (like last summer) then the water remains fairly good.

If you don't live in that area the best thing to do is take your on the S-bahn to Unterföhring then ride the short distance from there.

Simsee and Happingersee

@Kza

we saw Simsee on the trip to Chiemsee and it looked indeed lovely.

We were asking a local how to get there and she said there are no public transport. You either take the car or the bike. Is that true? How do you get there?

What about the other Lake?

Yeah with Simsee you have to either Bike (25mins) or Drive (10mins) from Rosenheim, or the Bad Endorf train station might be closer, I am not sure.

Happingersee is closer to Rosenheim, probably still too far to walk though, 10 min bike ride or 5 in the car.

Actually I think there are bus stops within walking distance to both.

Map

ok thnx for all the tips! we went to feringasee today... we biked there thru englishergarten and it was really nice and the lake was super clean and water was very clear and wasnt too busy..guess its too early int he season or sumfin? i dunno, but yea it was good... got lotsa color :D

Hi

Anyone know how quickly the lakes warm up to become "swimmable?" Anyone interested in going - cycle somewhere, take a nice long swim and cycle back?

Cheers

B

Topics merged by admin

I almost went swimming on Saturday, the water was pretty cold but the sun was so warm... Next nice day I'll be in that water

Eibsee at the foot of the Zugpitze is truly fantastic. You can lay back and stare at the mountain in awe. It is a bit further and does get busy, however,if you go early and cycle round the far side then it can be very quiet. Wine in the water, skinny dipping, marvellous.

Got to be worth a visit at least once.

Plansee is also good beyond Oberau/Oberammergau and Schloss Linderhof. You can park at the lakeside and dive in.

BB

@BB

I guess it's because of the title of the thread... when I first saw your name I thought it said Bikini Bud :D

I'd say it'll be warm enough for swimming...in...well, MAYBE mid-July, for a few days...if it's like last year :-(

One good lake to try is the lake that we live next to, the Pilsensee ...take the S5 out to Seefeld-Hechendorf, and walk 5 min, it's a smaller lake, so it should warm up a bit faster than others that have been mentioned...and has an italian place right at the swimming area.

Staffelsee is very nice. very scenic, easy to get to, and nowhere near as tourist plagued as Starnberg. A train to Murnau, then a mountainbike tour around the lake and the trails there, finished with a dip is a great summer day trip.

I don't like kochel that much. very cold, not much going on, although there is some climbing close by. Walchensee is much better.

spitzingsee is klein und fein, and no crowds in the summer. Further afield Königsee is stunning. If you are feeling flush (or just decedant) a stay in the Intercontinental spa hotel nearby is to be recommended.