Hiking trip in the Alps - Schliersee to Tegernsee

22 posts in this topic

Myself and a friend will be doing a hike in the Tegernsee region and would be happy for any Toytowners to join us.

We will be walking from Schliersee to Tegernsee. The total distance is 10.5 kms (6.5 miles) with 550 metres (1800 ft) of ascent. Travel is by train from Munich Hauptbahnhof to Schliersee (50 minutes).

The route starts from Schliersee, and heads westwards through forest paths and tracks up the Rainer Berg. Following some gentle uphill climbing along the ridge, we will arrive at Gindelalm (1242m), where we will stop for lunch with a view. Shortly afterwards, we reach the highest point of the walk, Grindelalmschneid (1335m), with fine views around the surrounding area.

The route continues westwards, heading slightly downhill along a pretty forest path to the Neureuthhaus. From here, it's a sometimes slightly steep descent into Tegernsee, with views of the lake along the way. A well-deserved beer will be waiting for us in the Brauhaus Tegernsee at the end of the walk :)

Actual walking time, excluding breaks, will be around five hours. We should reach the Tegernsee brewery around 4pm. Return travel is by BOB train, probably arriving back in Munich around 7pm.

You should bring with you sun cream, waterproofs, water and food. Participation is, of course, at your own risk!

We will meet at 8.30am prompt, at the start of Platform 29 at Munich Hauptbahnhof. Travel is with a BOB day ticket - €19 for five people. Please post below if you intend to come. We will buy the tickets as a group.

A high-resolution map of the area ia available here.

post-977-1148043649_thumb.jpg

The hike up from Schliersee is pretty gradual for the most part. There are 2-3 short places where it is somewhat steep. Also, you don't really need to hike up to Grindelalmschneid, you can bypass it if you want.

On the way down to Tegernsee there are many paths to choose from. I recommend Bayernweg which is probably the most scenic.

The only bad thing is that Neureuthhaus doesn't serve Kaiserschmarn. Shite.

I've done this tour and can highly recommend it to those who've not ventured outside of Munich much. It's a pretty light tour but very picturesque so bring the camera. I can't go that day but anways. Enjoy.

Neureuthaus is the place to go for an amazing view but i would never recommend their drinks or food.

I'd be interested but what kind of footwear would be needed, is it all on a trail or cross country..

All I have is some north face runners but no hiking boots here.. would they be enough??? B)

hiking boots strengthen your ankles which is after a 5-6 hour hike much more confortable than other sport shoes. also you are less likely to twist your ankle or get injured.

so depending on how much you are planning to hike, i would advise a good pair hiking boots.

Decent runners are all you really need for this hike...You don't need hardcore hiking boots.

Sounds great... I'll be there for sure. There's some fantastic views of the Austrian Alps to be had as well, if the sun shines, which it will I'm sure ;)

I did this route recently, and there are plenty of tempting huts along the way... all-in-all its perfect for a Sunday stroll, nothing too taxing. The exercise can surely justify a beer or 3 at the Tegernsee brauhaus afterwards... if not before...steady...

it's a beautiful short day hike. highly recommended, esp since they are so nice at the hütte.

if people are up for a really challenging day hike, i'm game to organize it

if people are up for a really challenging day hike, i'm game to organize it

I would like to join in; Izabella..

When?

& what about doing it with bike?

DANiel

I'd love to join a hike. It's been a while. Hope the weather will be warm and nice. See you on Sunday then!

As long as its good weather I'll be there too :D

Don't think the shoes/trainers would cut it in the rain :-)

Sorry I won't be able to make it tomorrow

Have fun and enjoy the hike :)