Cancelling your contracts when leaving Germany

75 posts in this topic

Today, I have received a letter (they must have received our letter to have our new address), saying that our contracts have been renewed until 19 January 2012. WTF, surely worst case would be three months from when we sent the letter.

Not three months from when you sent the letter but the three month notice period before the contract runs out - the Kündigungsfrist set out in your contract. November was too late in this case. That's why your contract was renewed. Send another cancellation letter to apply to the January 19, 2012 date just to make sure they've got things straight.

Piggy back question: Today I was offered the Sueddeutsche Zeitung for two weeks. I could cancel it within two weeks by email. Still, I wondered if their site is as blocked as phones apparently are, when you want to cancel things. Was this a good, safe bet or not, do you think?

I have been in Germany for about 20 months now, meaning that my 2-year contracts (internet, mobile phone, gas, electricity, etc) are going to expire in 4 months.

However, I am currently looking for a new job (abroad) and plan to leave in Summer (6, 7, 8 months from now).

So, what do I do?

Regarding the mobile phone, I guess I do not have a choice: I have to cancel it and use a prepaid temporarily, or I will get stuck with another years of payments. But what about the others? Do I need to spend my last months in Germany without internet, for example, if I am trying to make sure that I do not end up paying for years after departing?

Thank you so much for your advice! :)

Anybody knows of a place where I can find a template to cancel contracts... be it phone, bank accounts, public transport tickets... ?

Thanks in advance

Briefvorlage - Kündigung The one shown is for mobile phone contracts and there are links to a bunch of others on the bottom right.

www.aboalarm.de is the one I used until now for the same purpose of canceling contracts in Germany.

I think this site can even fax it for you for free but I always saved and printed the resulting PDF file and faxed it myself.

And one more thing, it can automatically fill in the address of the company of which contract you want to cancel.

It's supposed to have about 3000 addresses in its database.

www.aboalarm.de is the one I used until now for the same purpose of canceling contracts in Germany.

I think this site can even fax it for you for free but I always saved and printed the resulting PDF file and faxed it myself.

And one more thing, it can automatically fill in the address of the company of which contract you want to cancel.

It's supposed to have about 3000 addresses in its database.

Thanks, this one seems even better :)

This is german life, it seems that all contracts will be rolled over unless you cancel them. I left to live in singapore just when I had an insurance running out. I kept getting letetrs saying i owned them money. I figured it was like the UK where if you let it run out more fool you if you try and claim aftzer is has run out. But no apaprently as i had not canceleld it they deemed the contract renewed and wanted payment. In the end I called them and explained it had run out when I left and now I was in Singapore no way could I use the insurance so they said OK. sadly though this behaviour is being seen in the UK as well now. You used to just ask a utility company to provide you with gas electric etc. But now these days you seem to have to sign a contract usually some sort of gaurunteed low tarrif etc. If you try and leave they will hold you to it which is fair enough but now it seems as though if you do nothing they will roll you over into what ever tariff they like and if you subsequently try and leave they hold you to it again. A rare case of the UK catching up with Germany. One of the worst offenders in Germany is ADAC where you have to give 6 months notice of intention to cancel. One of my pals on taking out a contract immediately sends a cancellation letter for 12 months hence and asks for confirmation of receipt plays them at their own game.

Hi I'm leaving Germany soon and messed up with the 3 month before existing 24 month contract and my Vodafone contract has been automatically extended for a further 12 months.(really wish I'd read this thread earlier!!) They did tell me about this 'sonderkuendigungsrecht' where if I send my abmeldung letter when I deregister, the contract will be terminated. Wasn't able to get any information over the phone on what charges would be so my 2 questions are, does anybody know a link to a letter template for a Kündigung letter where the reason for termination is leaving the country and is specified in the letter? I have looked at the above links, but am looking for something to emphasise the 'exceptional circumstances' and does anybody know what charges I can expect? I will be leaving in May this year, but my contract will now go until February 2013.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,

I will be glad if someone could give information on the following queries. My mobile phone contract (from o2) is slated to get renewed on 01.08.2015.

Q1. If I cancel the contract say on 01.02.2015, would I still have to pay for the remaining 6 months (until 01.08.2015) or would I have to pay until 01.05.2015 ?

Q2. After the cancellation from my side, would I be still allowed to use the services until the day the payments are taken by o2 (especially if the answer to Q1 is 01.05.2015) ?

A not-exactly-related question is about the ease of converting from postpaid to prepaid scheme. Assuming o2 does allow this, can the conversion be immediate (of course, with some conversion fees and restrictions on what prepaid schemes can be taken probably)?

Thanks in advance!

Check the Kündigungsfrist on your contract. Generally you would have to pay until the contract runs out.

If you have a 1 year contract that automatically renews for one year at a time unless you cancel it with proper notice, you could cancel it today and you would still have to pay until 01.08.2015. You have to read the terms of your contract or talk to O2 to know for sure. Only if you don't cancel it or cancel it too late, it may already have renewed itself and then you could be stuck until 01.08.2016.

As for converting from contract to prepaid, you would have to talk to O2 about it to find out whether they allow it and what their terms are.

Q2: yes. (But often you can't book any extra options in that time, not sure how exactly O2 handles that)