Easyjet and Ryanair low-cost airlines

154 posts in this topic

I wouldn't dare arrive 45 minutes before departure time. That is cutting it far to fine. Remember you have to go through security, which depending on the airport/time of say etc could take ages. And then there might be a long walk to the gate. The minimum time I give myself, with or without luggage, is 90 minutes. I and my kids have all missed flights by arriving too late, or almost missed flights. I've learned my lesson.

It seems that the main objective behind "two hours before departure" is to get you into the over-priced coffee-bars at the airport.

I wouldn't dare arrive 45 minutes before departure time. That is cutting it far to fine. Remember you have to go through security, which depending on the airport/time of say etc could take ages. And then there might be a long walk to the gate. The minimum time I give myself, with or without luggage, is 90 minutes. I and my kids have all missed flights by arriving too late, or almost missed flights. I've learned my lesson.

I arrived 15 minutes before departure to MUC, no problem, just needed a bit of running :)

Won't do it again, of course, just tell that this is possible.

hint: if you are late, just tell this to all airport staff around you, they will help. First thing to do if you are to late if go to the information point, they will call directly to the gate which will wait for you (but not for longer, so don't count on being after departure time).

NUE is really small, traffic there is zero, so the only line you will end up standing will be the line at your gate.

I was there at 16:45 last week for the Ryan Air flight at 17:55 - loads of time. I sat at the gate for about 20mins. I only had hand luggage, though, and had already checked in online.

Nuremberg airport is very small...it only takes about 15 mins to get through it...but allow some extra in case of any problems.

I worked as an Assistant to Executives who flew minimum 2-3 times per week. The usual preferred time to be stressfree at the airport but also to avoid wasting time is arriving 45min before departure time for intercontinental flights in Europe, and usually leaving from Paris CDG.

I come from Canada where the recommended time is 3 hours, so I was shocked when I arrived here. But I got used to it now, that was a lot of wasted time!!!

Thanks for all the replies!

I will check in online, but I'll have a suitcase to check in as well. Also, the flight is to London, so I'm assuming there is some kind of passport control that I have to go through.

In any case, the reason I asked is that I could take an ICE from Ingolstadt and then the U Bahn and reach 1hr45min before departure, or I could take a RE and U Bahn to reach earlier but will have to pay more :huh:

This is Nürnberg! 1:45h is already way too much time.

But other people will be reading this thread who are not flying from Nürnberg. Stansted and Gatwick have very long routes to the gate, and are often crowded at security.

Hahn is also very small, and Baden-Baden is tiny! But I still go early. I'll never forget my daughter being bumped off a Ryanair flight a few years ago for arriving 5 minutes late. My son always likes to leave things to the last minute and he has missed a couple of flights because of that. I have warned him to allow 2 hours EVERY time. You never can tell what will happen in traffic!

I missed a flight from Hahn once because I got lost on the way, driving to airport. Had to spend the night at a hotel.

Once I had to catch at early flight from Stansted and I was going to take an EasyBus coach from North London. I had booked and paid for it and it was due to arrive at about 6:30 but never came. I guess they saw there weren't many bookings and just dropped it -- this has happened before with Easybus. I tried to reclaim my fare but they just ignored me and I forgot it. The bastards. I had to quickly find another route to the airport, after hanging around wasting time waiting for it.

Missing a flight is horrible. (Except when the flight you missed crashes.)

I had a colleague who was always missing flights. So much, that they told him that in future he would have to pay the cost of the flights. Thing improved, but he would still miss a flight every 6-8 weeks!

One time he was supposed to take an early departure from Stansted but missed it, rebooked onto a later flight, went back home to London, and then missed the 2nd flight as well! 2 flights missed in the same day.

We are about to enter the school Easter holidays. Passenger traffic at airports tends to increase and airport queues get longer at this time of year. Expect longer delays at security and passport control.

On 26/03/2015, 09:08:20, dj_jay_smith said:

I had a colleague who was always missing flights. So much, that they told him that in future he would have to pay the cost of the flights. Thing improved, but he would still miss a flight every 6-8 weeks!

One time he was supposed to take an early departure from Stansted but missed it, rebooked onto a later flight, went back home to London, and then missed the 2nd flight as well! 2 flights missed in the same day.

Unless you're first/business class you If you have to buy a new ticket and it gets expensive fast.

BTW any one affected by the Raynair cancellations? Apparently cancelling flights is cheaper than paying overtime 

On 25/03/2015, 12:11:41, vmelchers said:

I worked as an Assistant to Executives who flew minimum 2-3 times per week. The usual preferred time to be stressfree at the airport but also to avoid wasting time is arriving 45min before departure time for intercontinental flights in Europe, and usually leaving from Paris CDG.

I come from Canada where the recommended time is 3 hours, so I was shocked when I arrived here. But I got used to it now, that was a lot of wasted time!!!

Now a days if your coming in from Kitchener it's either 5 hours ahead or a night at a hotel, the traffic is that bad now.

39 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Now a days if your coming in from Kitchener it's either 5 hours ahead or a night at a hotel, the traffic is that bad now.

Hit the Gardiner Express  during rush hour ( which now seems to be all day I hear!),  travel time from downtown TO to Pearson  can reach  2 hours!

On 21/09/2017, 17:33:28, Tim Hortons Man said:

BTW any one affected by the Raynair cancellations? Apparently cancelling flights is cheaper than paying overtime 

It's not as simple as that with pilots.  Pilots have a fixed number of hours that they are allowed to work per week, month and year.  This number cannot be exceeded according to law in most territories.  

According to this answer (from a US pilot) he states:https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/1807/what-is-common-number-of-flight-hours-a-year-for-an-airline-pilot

Flight hours are limited to 30 hours in 7 days, 100 hours in a month and 1000 in a year. Scheduling rules also say I need at least 1 day off a week

And while airlines have spare pilots in case of sickness etc., it is only often enough to cover a few flights per day per base. 

And of course the low cost airlines push the hours as close as possible to the maximum, in order to get the most out of off their highly paid flight crew.

Also, Ryanair did offer a 12,000 GBP/EUR bonus to pilots to try and get them to not take the holiday, but they declinded!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/19/ryanair-offers-pilots-12000-bonus-to-tackle-cancelled-flights-fiasco