Easyjet and Ryanair low-cost airlines

154 posts in this topic

Yeah, I didn't even know we had booked them. My lady was all excited to have found decent prices just a few days in advance (not that decent to be honest), and I didn't know until we were on our way to Gatwick. What? Easyjet? For that price? Well since she planned it all that didn't go over well. And then the wheels really fell off. Worth the extra money to fly real airlines.

We've still not found out exactly why these flights were cancelled, but it's annoying that my mate had to buy an MVV ticket to take him to the airport when it was obvious to them that the flight wasn't going to be departing anyway, because the outbound flight from Stanstead was cancelled beforehand (as were the flights from Gatwick, Edinburgh and Manchester).

They did offer a hotel apparently, and via me he was able to re-book via the internet for the next morning...but I feel for the people who didn't have easy internet access and therefore weren't able to book the next available flight back).

I flew Altenburg to Stansted a few weeks ago for 7 euros all in except credit fee which took to 15 euros still very good though and only two weeks before the flight. One week before the flight the price dropped to 5 euros. Yesterday I booked a flight from Liverpool to Berlin on Friday 2nd July for 75 euros. Today this flight has dropped to 55 euros. I thought flight prices went up the nearer you got to the day of departure! The whole thing is just a lottery!

I once used to be a very frequent EasyJet customer. That was until 1.5 years ago. Now they only compete with Ryanair on which airline sucks more.

And they are not cheap at all. not if you have luggage. and not if you don't book monhts in advance. And not if other airlines have offers. Some months ago I wanted to fly to Athens. 1 month before the day I wanted to leave the Easyjet ticket was 250 euro (one way, with no luggage). A greek airline I checked was 170...two ways.

Plus they have horrible delays that they do not announce until ALL passengers are in the waiting room, the departure time is way past, no refhreshments offered. Call center costs a fortune if you want to contact them. And tax refund takes six months (yes, that happened as well. 6 months to get 12 euros back).

Now I am planning my summer vacations and I now I will not be checking easyjet.

Here's one to balance it out a bit.. flown with Ryanair a good few times now, Berlin <=> Stansted, never had a problem with them, always on-time/early, always got a good seat (protip: usually the extra legroom on the 2 rows on the wings).

It's cheap, the seats aren't great to sleep in, but hey it's only 1.5 hour flight and is half the price of say Air Berlin, although if comfort & free food/drink is something you want then pay the extra and go with them.

We have flown with ryanair and think you get what you pay for. We got flights from Pisa to Memmingen West for 10 euros each.

It was a short flight of also one hour. It was a great flight. For short flights, who cares about comfort. One hour in the air is nothing. But i agree, if flying for 5 hours then ofcourse pay the extra.

Australia has a 'Jetstar' which is equiv. to ryanair. Cheap flights are the best. Its not the flight that is going to make your holiday something to write home about, its the experience of being in the place.

I will choose Ryan air anyday :)

I have traveled frequently with both Easyjet and Ryanair. I will not fly with Ryanair again. I tried to book a ticket with Ryanair and their website crashed (search the Internet-this happens all of the time) as I clicked on purchase ticket. It booked me on a completely unrelated flight into 2 cities I don't even live in nor wanted to visit. Luckily I took a screen shot of the error message I received.

Ryanair would not refund my ticket and eventually I disputed the charge with my credit card. Be wary of low cost airlines. When everything is fine, you save money but if one little thing goes wrong, you are easily 500 in the hole.

If you must travel, never book with a budget airline. Only use budget airlines for non-important flights, as the likelihood of you not flying is significantly increased.

are you sure? statistics or just opinion? never got problems with low-cost airlines, though ryanair makes me always feel uncomfortable (starting already with booking and they always seem to have the worst gates). especially germanwings, air-berlin and hlx/tuifly (bought by air-berlin now?) are pretty good. easyjet is somehow inbetween, ryanair by far the worst (although they seem to be always on time).

ah, and I totally don't care the onboard stuff. it is nearly always the same. except ryanair is totally annoying (going around with their mag and the stuff with the lottery)

Ryanair is always on time because they pad their times. We've taken off an hour late and what do you know, we're still on time.

Latest Ryanair scam is dynamic currency conversion. e.g. I bought a return ticket last week from Berlin to East Midlands (UK), priced in euros. I paid with my UK issued credit card and ryanair billed me in pounds at a less advantageous exchange rate than I would normally get.

I know all press is good press and all that, but I am honestly shocked that this pathetic excuse for an airline is still in business.

A reminder on their website to print it out shouldn't be such a big deal.

Not at all. But attempting to charge €40 just to print out a bloody piece of paper is just ridiculous.

If your printer broke or you forgot to print it out, paying €40 is pretty outrageous, but it's certainly better than having to cancel your holiday. That seems a bit disproportionate.

I'd like to think that, one by one, people will slowly realise what a scum company Ryanair are, but unfortunately most people care only about price.

If your printer broke or you forgot to print it out, paying €40 is pretty outrageous, but it's certainly better than having to cancel your holiday. That seems a bit disproportionate.

I'd like to think that, one by one, people will slowly realise what a scum company Ryanair are, but unfortunately most people care only about price.

I hope so too, I would never fly with them. The thing is, people do only care about the price, and that is fine if you actually get a good deal and value for money, but with Ripoff Air you get neither, once they add on all their little extras, and you have made your way from one of their landing depots in the middle of nowhere, you would be better off paying a bit extra to fly with a proper airline.

How long before an enterprising individual sets up a boarding pass printing service in the airport?

I already get bugged by a guy at the entrance offering to wrap my suitcase in cellophane.

I don't get all the people who complain about Ryanair and the like. I have flown with them many times and many of the holidays I have had would just not have been affordable for me without carriers like Ryanair.

They add on a lot of fees, but many of them are avoidable and it often still works out WAY cheaper than say Luftansa. People always tell me that I should book the Luftansa €99 return flights but in my experience these are rarely actually available unless you want to travel in the middle of the week (not an option for people who work business hours).

The only fee which annoys me is the €5 for online check-in when it is the only option available. Printing your boarding pass is easy and only takes 2 minutes. I don't see why anybody would have a problem with it unless they decide to leave it to the last minute (you're allowed to do it up to two weeks before the flight). Checking baggage is a rip-off but carry-on is sufficient unless you're going on a trip longer than a week or so. You just need to travel light/smart.

Everybody has a choice. If you want full service then you need to pay for it. If you just want to get from A to B and don't mind making a few sacrifices, then you can save a lot of money.