Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Movie: Hostel

100 posts in this topic

I just got back from seeing the film "Hostel" with friends. Just seeing the poster with an electric drill pointed at a head made me think twice, as I hate films with pointless violence and blood (I should have noticed that it was a Tarantino film and known better!). I was persuaded to watch it but avoided looking too much at the blood scenes.

I am not a prude and can watch *some* blood scenes, but this was far too much!!! I ended up leaving early and could not watch more mindless sick violence! I waited outside for my friends and ended up shaking, hyperventilating and reduced to tears for a couple of minutes until I calmed down.

Anyone with a nervous disposition, please take this as a warning! I have never ever reacted to a film like that in my life and have never been forced to leave a film before, but this was too much. I don't even understand why I reacted like this because I ignored the majority of blood and gore! Just read in many forums that people left early in droves because this film was too much... be warned!

What is the World coming to?? Where are people going to draw the line? With effects that are so realistic, I have to ask what this does to the minds of people who are easily influenced... No wonder we live in such a fucked up World! :(

It also shows the typical bullshit mentality of some Americans (which I have seen confirmed from comments in forums) that East European countries are so poor with lots of violent crime and that the women are easy and only for fucking!.

If you like to see peoples' bodies drilled with an electric drill or sawn with a chainsaw, toes snipped off, faces torched with a blowtorch, people jumping under trains and blood splatting everywhere, etc etc then you will probably find this film interesting... Not me!

Something similar happened to me when I watched 'Event Horizon' years back. I could not take any further unnecessary bloodshed. But I guess these movies are made for a specific audience who are craving for more, if you are not the type.. better give it a miss.

I should say that I feel sorry for what happened to you.

I certainly don't fit that "type"...but thought hostel was actually MUCH better than I expected (as I hate Tarentino). It was an alright movie, no real excess violence or unnecessary bloodshed...

...and since I work in the tourist industry, it was slightly more entertaining.

(I find it impossible to believe you that you're not a prude, though, after that review...there are MUCH worse (like Event Horizon, for example))

Tarentino - a man who makes a lot of money based on shock effect?And you paid for that? I have seen one Tarentino movie and will never ever watch another,

Voting with my wallet. Thanks for your warning

I enjoy Tarantino films actually. But this one I am apprehensive about seeing because I saw Tarantino on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno saying that it was a pretty gruesome film. For Tarantino to say it was gruesome probably means it is bad.

I think I will wait til it comes out on DVD. And then watch it in the daytime.

Sidenote: Hostel was written and directed by Eli Roth. Tarantino only produced this film - he didn't write or direct it. His other more notable films (like Pulp Fiction, Four Rooms, Jackie Brown, and Resevoir Dogs) were written and directed by him.

Just read in many forums that people left early...(which I have seen confirmed from comments in forums)

Brilliant and thorough research as well...let us just say that I'm full of praise for your commentary. Never visited these so-called internet forums before, but they seem to be a real source of wisdom.

very overhyped in my opinion although i can see why the Bratislava tourist industry are trying to sue eli roth and tarantino :lol: and from what ive heard was hardly edited at all to make it the 18 certificate

was a fairly ok film and the black comedy in it was really quite good, personally i found this more squeemish than outright gruesome (as opposed to silent hill), wouldnt say it was a great film but it was ok, certainly had its flaws

new films that are coming out such as Hard Candy (very good film that) and past asia extreme films like Ichi The Killer are far worse but i suppose it does push the boundarys of what you can show thesedays (to a western audience at least)

Believe me, you're not alone. After one too many gory violent movies a few years ago, I had the strangest reaction. I got seriously angry. My hubby loves "guy" movies but I can't be in the same room, I just get furious. It's a weird reaction, but I think it's less weird than finding it entertaining to watch that obscene crap. I'm no prude, either.

It was a great movie, I was initially reluctant to watch it cos most horror movies are fucking stupid and so fake, but this one was actually quite effective. Better than any other tarantino film anyway. It wasnt JUST violence, it was actually interesting to watch and had a good story too.

I wish people would warn about the lamo bullshit blair witch style ones instead.

Watched this last night without any clue before hand that it was a horror or Tarantino movie.

Thought it was fantastic actually, really refreshing to see a horror movie that actually had me tense nearly all the way through. I was actually relieved when it was finally over.

In general I think horror movies are bollocks, cheap shitter movies with no substance and about as scary as the old tuna pasta my flatmate still hasn't thrown out of the fridge.

This is the first time in ages I've had the urge to cover my face with my hands during a movie.

Brilliant!

Event Horizon was also the last one to get under my skin in any way, but can't really compare them as that was more sci fi/trippy scary whre as this one was just brutal.

I love the way the viewer is manipulated so you don't know what to expect or how far it is going to go. I could really empathise with the characters fear and cringed with them instead of at them.

The fact that people have reacted so strongly just show that Tarantino (& Eli Roth) have succeeded in way that almost every other horror movie fails.

Brilliant, memorable piece of cinema that really makes you squirm, it's restored some of my faith in the genre.

I agree with kza, normally i find horror movies too painful to to watch as they're always dripping with cheese. this was refreshing i reckon. It's been a long time since i've had to turn away from the tv whilst watcing a movie. I also quite liked all the fit naked birds too

Event Horizon? I thought that was quite low on mindless bloodshed...in fact i seem to remember it being high on suspense and menace as opposed to blood (although it has it's moments!).

I Tarantino is a fool though, although he puts some brilliant scenes together, he is such a copyartist and shockdoctor that i have come to find him really tiresome...

Event Horizon? I thought that was quite low on mindless bloodshed

Agree. Event Horizon was def more thriller than horror. Also, when I re-watched it I wondered why I found it disturbing the first time around. I'm not sure I'll want to watch Hostel again for a while, not because it was bad but because it made me squirm so much - so extra points for that.

With you all the way - walked out of watching Event Horizon a bit freaked out, but second time around nothing really. No mindless bloodshed there.

What really looks gory is Silent Hill - saw the posters outside Cinema last night, pretty gruesome.

Event Horizon was a great film, it had a lot of special effects and a good storyline. My wife would not watch it after the first person was killed as she found the film "scary and disturbing". I watched it again when it was on sky and found it was as full of suspense as the first time around (though I was watching it in a new house, alone, in the dark during a storm which probably added to the atmosphere!)

My wife will not watch movies with Werewolves in them as she is terrified of them but neither of us bother with films that have loads of people being chopped up or drilled or hacked to death in them as they dont appeal.

Tarrantino is pretty much just a big piss taker and he's good at what he does. It always makes me laugh when people take his stuff so seriously.

Women are easy and only for the fucking! :lol:

I like Event Horizon when it came out. There seemed to be two movies in a row that got under my skin with Sam Neil in them. In the Mouth of Madness was the other, at least the first half.

Hostel doesn't interest me although I am a Tarantino fan. Has anybody seen Silent Hill? Is it recommendable?