Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tony Blair supports medical animal research

19 posts in this topic

Those of you wanting further non-emotive objective information about this subject can find it here

The People's Petition in support of animal research can be found here

Anyone know of the name of a company doing animal research on a cure for Blair Syndrome?

I'd like to write a letter of support to any such company.

:ph34r:

well I am not a fan of Blair, but whether I like him or not he is still the prime minister of the UK. Britain is one of the leading players in the worlds of pharmaceuticals and biotechnology - something which is important to the economy of the nation and if polls are to be believed, is popular with the vast majority.

Animal rights activism, having failed to win hearts and minds through reasoned argument, has resorted instead to intimidation campaigns in an attempt to shut down the industry through threats of violence, harrassment and actual violence. In a free society we cannot let such bullying activism that borders on terrorism win. Which is why the petition and campaign were launched.

That Blair has added his name to the list of those supporting the petition is to be welcomed because of his office, not because of the person. The endorsement, I have no doubt, would have been the same from either Brown or Cameron.

Will all those who object to animal testing, please sign a contract stating that they will not use any medication that has been tested on animals?

It's not quite that simple. I'm not opposed to animal testing per se, but I believe that there is too heavy a reliance on such tests and too many repeat tests, partly as a result of the commercial nature of much medical research.

Mind you, I do object to Tony Blair, and would be happy to sign a contract stating that I will not use any legislation that has been tested by Tony Blair. Would save me having to pay for one of these pointless ID cards for a start.

(Bell the Cat, please do not respond. You've already made your opinions clear.)

@STB

I guarantee he responds. I personally feel that there must be some other way of testing products and medication without resorting to testing it on animals. I notice that now instead of autopsies they are carrying out virtuatopsies to determine cause of death. Surely we can determine the cause chemicals will have on humans without testing it on anyone.

Am I the only one thinking we should use Blair in place of the animals? Maybe I should start a petition.

I personally feel that there must be some other way of testing products and medication without resorting to testing it on animals. I notice that now instead of autopsies they are carrying out virtuatopsies to determine cause of death. Surely we can determine the cause chemicals will have on humans without testing it on anyone.

There is a considerable amount of work to develop in silico technologies for medical research. But while the research is advanced it is likely to be decades before it is sufficiently sensitive to render animal experimentation unneccessary. Beleive me when I say that there are few people in this industry that do not sincerely hope we can abandon animal experimentation for alternatives when such alternatives are as good or better.

Look! Animal testing is done for money and fun. Money for the institutes and the employees, fun for the misfits who mistreat the animals because they are not allowed to do it in public.

:ph34r:

considering i don't even know how many products i use which have been animal tested, i find it very difficult to say i am against animal testing without sounding like a hypocrit.

i think it is good that tony is having an opinion on that issue and it is willing to stand up for it despite all the criticsm he gets.

considering i don't even know how many products i use which have been animal tested, i find it very difficult to say i am against animal testing without sounding like a hypocrit.

i think it is good that tony is having an opinion on that issue and it is willing to stand up for it despite all the criticsm he gets.

In general, unless it is classified as a food, any chemical entity classified as a medicinal product that is ingested, rubbed on to skin, inhaled, grafted or rubbed onto skin will have been tested on animals.

In the same way, many cosmetics and cleaning products that may come into contact with skin also used to have to be assessed for safety using animal models. As the European Union recently banned such testing my assumption is that no new chemical entities can be introduced following animal trials in Europe as these cannot take place and the animal tests will instead take place outside of Europe.

The big lie of the Body Shop which claims its products have not been tested on animals is that in fact all their products *have* been tested on animals - just not by them. They use generic active ingredients that have come off patent and have been tested for toxicity by the original patent holder.