Navigation systems

49 posts in this topic

The time has now come for us to invest in one of these things. I was reading posts from last year on the board where the TomTom system seemed to be the most favoured. Are people still happy with this system or is there something else that stands out, now on the market? We are tending towards a Tomtom Go710.

I like TomTom but havn't compared it to others so can't really help. If you have any questions on the use of it drop me a line.

Neil

I've used a Tom Tom and I wasn't that impressed. They're expensive and you don't get many maps in the bundle as some others offer.

I ended up buying a Mio Digiwalker 269+, and I'm 100% happy with it. You can get them for about EUR 400, considerably cheaper than the TomTom.

http://www.mio-tech.be/products/Personal_N...evices/269plus/

It's got a very fast and very accurate GPS chip, comes installed with detailed maps of 27 countries, can be updated from the internet, and comes with everything you need, even a bracket to attach it to the handlebars of a bike.

One of the best things about the Mio is that when you plan a route, you can not only choose the car route, but also cycle routes and walking routes. Not only that, but it comes pre-installed with a massive list of Points-of-Interest, including every McDonalds & Burger King in Europe!

So far I've used mine in 5 of the 27 countries covered and it's been spot on all the time.

now you got me thinking, was the original question refering to a complete GPS navigation system, or a just the map software?

I have a Palm with TomTom running on it, not a TomTom device (just to clear up any confusion)

I used it yesterday walking around Köln as it also has the possibilty of choosing type of route, and extra POIs are downloadable for a number of different map systems, I currently have all german Pharmacies (you never know when you might need one) along with DM and Hornbach shops.

I use TomTom with an iPAQ PDA and have also tried Navigon Mobile Navigator - they both worked fine. One of my friends uses Mapsonic on a Palm, which he is happy with.

I like the TomTom Points of interest features and find the car parks to be the most useful.

All of the maps seem to have some errors - e.g. some very new roads missing.

The Personal Navigation Aids (PNA) are convenient but not quite as flexible as Nav software running on a PDA. If you get hacked off with the software on a PDA, you can always change it.

I have been using a Bluetooth GPS but find this has difficulty getting connected sometimes, so I would not use this setup again - I would go for a device with a built in GPS.

If you are thinking of using a navigator in a car, it is worth considering where and how it will be fixed.

There's some useful reviews and comparisons here (but it is biased towards the UK):

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

I used it yesterday walking around Köln

do you normally get lost then?

I currently have all german Pharmacies (you never know when you might need one)

I would have thought it would be less embarassing for you to go to a shop where you could take a packet in your size of the shelf, rather than having to ask over the counter for them :ph34r:

I previously had a PDA setup with a BT GPS receiver running Tomtom Navigator 5 and overall I found it quite good. The only problems being sometimes the GPS would take ages to detect and the loud-speaker in the PDA being pretty crap.

However I sold it fairly recently and bought a Tomtom Go 700 and must say I am really happy with it. Its much better than the PDA version in my opinion. I just find it to be a lot less hassle and the all-in-one europe map is a great for multi-country planning. Also acts as a bluetooth hands-free car kit which is a bonus.

It wasn't cheap tho, I think I paid about €420 for it.

There are some cheaper all in one units available. The saturn here in stuttgart does the Acer D100 at €199, which will do the job but the software isn't up to the standard of Tomtom. A friend recently bought one of these on which we have now installed TomTom Nav 5 which is running very well and far better than the original Destinator. So thats a cheap option at only €199 (if you know some kind person with TT5 to use).

I would have thought it would be less embarassing for you to go to a shop where you could take a packet in your size of the shelf, rather than having to ask over the counter for them

Ooh, you're a cruel one Loopy!

Jean-Pierre

"do you normally get lost then?"

oberlandesgericht to the flora, only takes 10 minutes, but has two main roads and a silly bridge and underpass which are not easy to cross on foot, so you can spend ages walking around if you dont know the area(which I don't)

As to your second comment I don't find it embarrassing at all to have to ask for extra large condoms :P

...only when you ask for the extra strong ones :lol:

This thread is several months old and there are only a few responses, so I'm wondering what general opinion is right now for navigation systems.

I have a TomTom which I bought several months ago. At the time, it was rated best on the market. Dunno about now. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with mine. I can only compare it to the ones I've seen built into cars. I'd say it's a good system any way you slice it. It came with a map of Germany and the software for all of Western Europe. I have no complaints...about this anyway. ;)

I bought a TomTom a few months ago and I am slightly disappointed. For the price, I didn't think it would take so long to find a satellite after I turn it on. Sometimes up to 10 minutes... it's a drag. Also, there have been a few instances where the maps don't detect road construction that's been going on for many months, or don't go into enough detail. Most of the time it gets me where I need to go, though, which is a huge improvement to my life.

Next time around, I'd take a look at the one Neil373 mentioned... sounds really good to me.

Garmin. They have a big range from cheap, simple devices to complex beasties with all the bells and whistles. If you get one with mapping they allow you to unlock the maps for another GPS as well. So if you have one for the car you can also use the same maps on a small handheld one too. They are the only manufacturer to do this AFAIK and it saves a bundle because buying mapping separately is very expensive. If you ride a motorbike they have GPSs with lots of bike-specific features which the likes of Tom-Tom can't touch either.

It's good but they've dumbed it down a bit since the 2610 which has really good custom routing preferences specifically for bikes. I hope they'll open up an advanced interface for those that want it because everything else is spot on.

I've recently hired both Audi and Mercedes to gun around Europe. I like the Audi system which tells you where to go. I hate the Mercedes system, which tells you where you should have gone... just after you have taken the fuckin' exit it previously promised was correct. :angry: