English-language television in Frankfurt

21 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have just joined the site. I will be moving to Frankfurt very soon and before I leave London I wanted to know about viewing English-language TV in Frankfurt. All ideas are welcomed!

Thanks

Mina

Hi Mina,

there is very little English TV in Germany. What you can do is bring your Sky dish and receiver with you (assuming you have one) and with a little work you should be able to receive your normal TV channels. Hopefully you will have the correct line of sight for your dish and you are not moving into a tower block.

Mina,

Quite a few people get Sky TV over here, and it works fine. It may not be strictly legal, but Sky are happy for all the subscribers they can get and seem to turn a blind eye. There are two ways of doing it:

Get your own portable dish, 80cm+ in size, make sure you get an apartment with a south-facing balcony, and get someone in the UK to take out a Sky subscription and get them to send you the box and card. You will need to get someone to line up the dish for you, which only takes about five minutes if you have the right kit.

Or...

There are a few companies around who will set everything up for you, but they are quite expensive. takes the hassel out of it all though.

Either way, you will not be able to get movies on demand as you cannot call up and book from a German phone number.

The last way is watching TV online, but its still not great. For show's like Lost or 24 its easier to just download them - but that is illegal and I couldn't possible condone that.

Good luck with the move and enjoy your time in FFM!

Hello

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall bring a SKY dish and a digibox with a card then. Also I wonder if the Freeview digital box works in Germany? I guess it will pick up German channels or maybe the British ones, has anyone tried this?

Thanks again.

Mina

Free View works fine. I have a friend near Mainz who picks it up with a 60cm dish. Like I said, make sure you get a flat with a south-facing balcony or you will be out of luck.

Hi,

Ive heard that its possible to get British TV here and that there's company that will install the dish etc, anyone know anything about this?

Regards,

Bilal.

Topics merged by admin

You can get any installation company to install the dish if you do a search there is bound to be info as to where it needs to point South East I think. Astra bla bla. There must be loads of info on this somewhere am sure one of the admins will merge topics soon. :D

You can also get something called iesy tv which allows you to get BBC Prime and assorted other channels. It costs around 12 euros a month and is a cable box that you plug into the wall.

If you want the full array of Sky channels etc. then search elsewhere on this forum where getting Sky has been covered chapter and verse.

Yeah, I've looked a ieasy and thats the one we have in our apartment block, and I plan on getting the 3 in 1 package with them. :)

But I was told that I can get all the British Freeview Channels somehow... if there's already a discussion could someone point me in the right direction please!

Thanks

Try dropping a message to Bavaria Satellite. I am not sure they will come up to frankfurt tho. It might be worth while if there are 2-3 people who want a sky system so you could split their travel time between them.

Feel free to contact us through the usual channel - we have installation support contacts in Frankfurt for free-to-air services and general satellite support and can supply fully functional and enabled Sky systems without any UK address requirement by mail order (next day delivery if you are in a hurry) for installation by our partners.

Your friends at Bavaria Satellite

Hi People,

Ive spoken to Bavaria-Satellite and what theyve got on offer is really good but also really expensive!! All I want are the channels I received in the UK through my tv (ok, using the digital freeview box or whatever its called) without having to fill Rupert Murdochs coffers. No disrespect to B-S TV but is there a cheaper way of doing it and NOT paying a €99 per annum "hosting" charge? If not then B-S TV it is...

All I want are the channels I received in the UK through my tv [...] without having to fill Rupert Murdochs coffers.

There should be no charge (hosting or otherwise) for free-to-view or free-to-air channels (i.e. BBC/ITV/etc.) as they don't have any subscription requirement. Usually only Sky channels attract continuous charges...

You can buy a cheap dish and receiver box in Germany (any large electronics shop like Saturn, media-markt etc) and you will get all the free to air channels from the UK by pointing your dish at the Sky satellite 28° east of south (locate south and then 28° to the right). It cost me about EUR 160 and works perfectly fine. You don't need any subscriptions or Sky cards, just buy the equipment. Setting it up is a little difficult if you have no experience but usually there are signal strength and quality bars as part of the receiver functionality (you can adjust the dish position while viewing the signal strength/quality on the TV). You have to locate the rough postion and be patient in trying minor adustments in azimuth and elevation until you get the best signal strength and quality. I mounted the dish on a stable balcony table. I received BBC1-4, ITV 1-4, some other channels and a lot of shopping and games channels, also many UK radio stations. Frankfurt is the best place in Germany to receive these programs with a small dish (48cm is enough, 60cm is a sure bet) since there is a strong signal in this region. I manage to receive these programs in Hamburg too but need a 1.20m dish since we are right on the edge of the signal, works fine however.

German digital channel Premiere also broadcasts a lot of films in dual language, particularly the newer ones plus all English football.