Brits slow to repay loans

258 posts in this topic

Not exactly a speedy repayment, but then you might say the same thing about the U.S. and the time it took her to actually join in the fighting...

It's extremely rare for war debts to be repaid; Germany still owes billions. I have no idea why the British bothered paying it back; America never would have.

I imagine the U.K. has repaid her debts because she is an honourable nation that keeps her word. I can't understand why anyone would want to act differently. I suppose it's because honourable behaviour is no longer valued.

It's like the Chris Rock bit... "I ain't never been to Jail", "You're not supposed to go to jail." "I pay back my war debts". "You're supposed to pay back your war debts. Whadda ya want, a cookie?"

I really think its commendable the debts been paid at all, above poster is right, war debts are hardly ever on the top of the expenditure list. Would've been better though to transfer the money to the UN. That debt is outstanding and Im rather tired of it being the fall back retort. Sigh. Yes, all our mamas are fat, on welfare, and can't afford icecream etc etc

@DW I love that skit, I take care of my kids!

Not exactly a speedy repayment, but then you might say the same thing about the U.S. and the time it took her to actually join in the fighting...

And why exactly should a neutral nation have been quicker to send millions of its own to their deaths to fight yet another European war which was, in large part, caused by the the winners of the last one only 20 years earlier ignoring that country's advice against crushing retribution payments?

woof.

And why exactly should a neutral nation have been quicker to send millions of its own to their deaths to fight yet another European war which was, in large part, caused by the the winners of the last one only 20 years earlier ignoring that country's advice against crushing retribution payments?

Because everything is America's fault. Duh.

Well, seeing as they got involved in the end and ended up one of the most influential partners, then actually, many things today probably are their fault yes...

Because it was the *right* thing to do. Now shut your can of worms. Don't make me stop this car. Man, I can not believe Im even posting in these politco threads again. Backing out slowly now, fight amongst yourselves.

woof.

well, for one reason, to make up for the fact that that supposedly neutral country help finance the Nazi regimes rise to power and re-armourment. Good enough reason as any, i think.

Also is wasn't a european war. Try looking in the other direction and you may have noticed Japan quietly taking over the pacific rim, since the early 30's.

I wonder if perhaps the whole war might have shortened (or even the European part avoided) had the Americans bothered to take notice and do something about it.

woof.

Maybe to fight global tyrrany? Just a thought...

Wow. Well BD has got what he set out to achieve no doubt. And I thought he was sick to death of the "Rest of the World vs. USA" topics. Obviously a bit bored today huh?