Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Integration of TT newcomers from all walks of life

60 posts in this topic

I have spent the last five months on "Toytown" trying to get to know people and attending Toytown events surreptitiously. I have refused to disclose my online name in these instances because I felt who I was in reality, rather then my online persona, was more important. The result has been zero interaction from other TTers. Is disclosure of my virtual identity a prerequisite for my interation? I would hope that some of my own particular Irish estovers have not made this a reality but often it seems as if it heralds the truth; a double disclaimer. I think the integration of the Britboard offers a redemption for us all, not only those that think that they are smarter than everyone else, but one that allows us bricklayers, joiners and plasters , who are obviously of much higher intelligence than the average programmer, to assert our influence on a dead sexist medium that is Toytown and will now forever be known as BRITBOARD.

I find intregration a 2 way street. I have been to many TT events, an just went in and joined the party. There are many others that stand outside, and expect people to bring them in and approach them. You are an adult, God gave you a mouth, use it to talk to someone.

I have met alot of people at TT events, that it was like talking to a dead person. I understand that some are not as outgoing as some of TTers, but the effort must go both ways.

When I attended Curry nights, I usually tried to talk to most people that were there, or at least find out their names. I know its hard going to an event alone, and everyone knowing everyone else, but lets be honest, everyone here is friendly, and open to newbies. :)

I also find ones attitude online makes a difference too. (there are alot of Online people, I could care less to meet).

I have refused to disclose my online name in these instances because I felt who I was in reality, rather then my online persona, was more important.

Why not disclose both? Are you a completely different person online? If so, why? I have no qualms about people knowing both of my names. Indeed, the picture in my profile has always been a picture of me simply so that I cannot hide behind a fictitious electronic identity*. I should hope that I don't say anything in the online world that I wouldn't want to own up to in the real one.

The result has been zero interaction from other TTers.
Are we certain that this is the sole reason why there's been zero interaction? I would find it peculiar and a a bit suspect if someone was too embarassed to admit their online name, but it wouldn't preclude me from talking with them. Mind, there are loads of other reasons why I might not want to talk with them.

Is disclosure of my virtual identity a prerequisite for my interation?

Again, no.

...bricklayers, joiners and plasters, who are obviously of much higher intelligence than the average programmer...
I can't tell if this is meant to be serious. If so, I have to assume that you're aware of the unusually high number of programmers who hang out on Toytown and that they might be apt to feel insulted**. You're not likely to win friends with comments like that.

...to assert our influence on a dead sexist medium that is Toytown and will now forever be known as BRITBOARD.

Good luck to you. I suppose the non-British English speaking ex-pats will start their own board?

* No qualms about the people who use the funny pictures in their profile, those are nice, too.

** No disrespect whatsoever intended to bricklayers, et al. I'm not trying to make the opposite point that the average programmer is obviously of much higher intelligence.

one word ... attitude... TT is what you make of it... there are loads of friendly people out there - both on line and in person... but it takes all sorts to make up the world

Why are you trying to hide your screen name is the question you should ask your Self. Obviously you have some issues and it sounds to me that you are getting exactly what you believed you would get. Life works that way in general.

take care,

space

... not only those that think that they are smarter than everyone else, but one that allows us bricklayers, joiners and plasters , who are obviously of much higher intelligence than the average programmer ...

Has somebody actually slighted you or do you just perceive that "the programmers" look down on you? You never know some of them may have parents that are bricklayers, joiners and plasters, who they know are as intelligent as anybody else.

Look at the time of post - 5.30am. This might have been a drunken rant.

What event was last night? Oh yeah, Curry Night - what did you people do to the poor fella to make him react like that? :lol:

Nearly took the advice of a friend who said "Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave".

It's not worth your time trying to analyse what Topcat means in his post. It was written purely to provoke and with the intention of getting some negative responses so that he can say something along the lines of "Ha, I got you, I knew you'd respond like that". Yawn. The "dead sexist medium" is a particular gem in this inane diatribe. What are you on lad and where can we get it wholesale? So be nice to him, Topcat needs your sympathy. What was that song from that other northern lad, oh yeah, "Scorn not his simplicity"

but one that allows us bricklayers, joiners and plasters , who are obviously of much higher intelligence than the average programmer,

where do Coffee Barristas fit into your hierachy?

To be honest, whether you disclose your online name or not, it wouldn't have said much to me either way. With so many posters it's hard to stand out and make any sort of impression. Nothing that really stands out in my memory anyway.

hmmm - i was always looking forward to meeting TopCat, I thought his posts were quite cool, really...

Now I know that I might have actually met you but you were hiding your identity it's a bit disappointing, really.

I always introduce myself with my real name, but if peeps ask me who I am online then of course I tell them.

this whole thread strikes me as a bit bizarre, tbh.

EDIT - oh, and what exile said... some of us have family who are in working class professions (some of us even have family who've had extended holidays at her majesty's pleasure :o). There might be some snooty-nosed peeps in our midst but i wouldn't say they are in the majority by any stretch. maybe you've just met the wrong people or summat

I have never attended a TT event, but I have sent another person in my place who does not have internet access. So we really are separate people.

You want sympathy topcat? Go get a dictionary. You should find it somewhere between "SHIT" and "SYPHILIS"

Funny as hell... and deserved.

Although I spent my first TT even (Watching F1) sitting alone as I was too shy to join in. Only person i spoke to was Sin... and that was just a 1 minute chat before everybody seemed to wander off. Just get in there... if they don't like you for that then it's there loss ;)

When you first enter play it looks as though everyone at the event has known eachother forever and that can be a tad daunting. I feel a bit of a spare part at times but every machine needs spare parts. Won't stop me grabbing the mike on Friday nights and bothering complete strangers B)

i have spoken to some very nice people who didn't want to disclose their online persona. TBH, if some is friendly and seems like a nice person, one or two names, who cares?

i find it interesting that topcat1 felt that he was being treated differently because he didn't give his online name... i wonder if anyone else had a similar expererience.