Steve McLaren to get England manager job

59 posts in this topic

Apparently it now looks like Steve will get the England job.

McClaren will get job - Allardyce (BBC News)

Sam Allardyce expects his rival for the England job Steve McClaren to be confirmed as the new national team coach on Thursday.

McClaren, 45, failed to come out for the post-match interviews after his Middlesbrough side's 1-1 draw at Allardyce's Bolton on Wednesday.

What do the Toytown public think???

are we SO bereft of talent that we have to appoint that u**y git? Steve Coppell*? Wenger (if you could rid the FA of Dein)? Curbishley? Harry Rednap? Scholari would have been a pretty cool choice - but why spoil the party (and hence get the finger)?

*yes I am a Palace fan!

took a while, and now a bit late, but at last someone else on the case for Coppell - I put him as my dark horse back in January (Should Sven resign)

I suppose that next season will really show what he is made of, but no doubting he's done a brilliant job so far with the Royals.

Whenever I think of McLaren I can only picture a smug git with a purile, inane grin explaining away his team's latest loss to some mediocre rabble of journeymen. Just what England needs...a manager who can lose with a smile on his face.

sorry - didn't mean the UG thing about Mr. M**, but yes Coppell has always been an underrated talent... When Palace were in the Prem under his tutelage it was merely a complete lack of management support that failed him and the team (not just money). With England, that would not be the case!

** Mr. Dowie, anyone :)

Steve McClaren has been part of the England set-up for years and knows his stuff. Middlesborough making the UEFA Cup final and the semi-final of the FA Cup are very good achievement IMHO. OK, so he has had his ups and downs this season but what do you actually expect from the team? Top 4 finish? Not really.

Steve Coppell will no doubt make a great England manager one day and I hope he does figure in the England set-up after the World Cup. What he has achieved at Reading is amazing. Their attacking football is a joy to watch and I would love to see him transferring that to an international level

Am a big fan* of Dowie, in a short space of managerial time he has worked wonders, certainly one to watch for the future.

*Jealous Oldham fan that we lost him for nowt, though want to see Palace win the play offs. :(

I worked with him when he was an aerospace engineer in Hatfield. A good lad and a fair centre forward in his time.

As a Boro fan, I'll be sad to see him go and he'll be welcome back any time. Shame UEFA Cup isn't being played at the Riverside though because we'd be laughing then...

Personally I think he is a mediocre manager at best. Good achievement getting to the UEFA Cup Final but what people forget is that he has never actually been that short of money to spend and has assembled a squad that in my opinion should be considerably higher than 13th in the table.

Also this is the same man who has been involved in the England setup that has consistently failed to come up with a plan B. Hardly strikes me as encouraging. Have also read on various forums that he is often not liked by players and comes across as arrogant.

Appointing McClaren is pretty much the same as keeping Sven in the job which is not a good thing in my opinion.

Christ almighty. Is it too late to ask El Tel back? Fuck, I'd put Gary Lineker, Hansen and Wright in charge and have them manage the team live on BBC 4.

Wel if he gets it then good luck to him. I can see he will not have an easy task as so many people seem to be expecting him to fail.

Also this is the same man who has been involved in the England setup that has consistently failed to come up with a plan B.

Of course he has a plan B. Stick on 4 forwards and pray for a miracle. It's worked twice this season already.

Looking forward to seeing Bent, Crouch, Defoe and Owen tearing defences apart this summer.

Well not according to Tord Grip

England number two Tord Grip admits Sven-Goran Eriksson has not yet devised a Plan B to deal with Wayne Rooney's possible absence from the World Cup.

The Manchester United striker, 20, is likely to miss England's group games after breaking a bone in his foot against Chelsea on Saturday.

Grip told the Sun: "We're working on Plan B now - but just how that plan looks, I really don't know."

So that means that they were going into the World Cup with 1 plan and no clue about what to do if it didn't work. Even if Rooney hadn't been injured, this strikes me as a terrible piece of management and planning. And McClaren is involved with this setup as well and is therefore also to blame. Absolutely pathetic if you ask me. And for this Eriksson is the highest paid international manager in the world???

It will be interesting to see what salary they offer McClaren. Will he also get big bucks, to demonstrate what an important position english manager is, or will they pay him according to his level of experience - ie mediocre premiership boss.

He'll be on a fraction of Sven's salary. They're not going to whack out GBP 4 million a year to someone who has won bugger all.

I think too many of you people read to much southern bias press.

Want Steve Mac has done at Boro has been astonishing as opposed

to Robbo's era. He has NOT had loads of money to spend.

He has overseen the most successful youth development programme

since Fergie's babes came through.

He is the only English manager with international experience and, for that

matter European experience.

He has constantly learn from his mistakes and IS master tactician who

has guided Boro to our first European Cup Final.

I wish him well.