Hurghada, Egypt

56 posts in this topic

Just booked a family trip to Hurghada for a week at the end of October. Last year we went to Antalya and obtained Turkish e- visas which was simple and easy. Now as far as Egypt's visa, I heard that it is much simpler and cheaper just to get visas on arrival at the airport. Any advice from people that went recently. Thanks 

On 28/02/2018, 16:27:33, TampaFL said:

Just booked a family trip to Hurghada for a week at the end of October. Last year we went to Antalya and obtained Turkish e- visas which was simple and easy. Now as far as Egypt's visa, I heard that it is much simpler and cheaper just to get visas on arrival at the airport. Any advice from people that went recently. Thanks 

Yes, It Is simple and cheaper. You can refer this site for more information http://egyptra.com

Some of my friends recently asked me where to go on holiday "with good beaches and diving but not so far away".   No idea why as I almost never go to such places, but I suggested Hurghada even though I've never been (have to other parts of Egypt and like it).    They very much enjoyed it and had no hassles, and entry etc was easy (Germany passports at least).   They also saw Cairo, I think right at the start.  It's a good nation to do little add-ons. 

On 22/06/2018, 14:10:52, swimmer said:

Some of my friends recently asked me where to go on holiday "with good beaches and diving but not so far away".   No idea why as I almost never go to such places, but I suggested Hurghada even though I've never been (have to other parts of Egypt and like it).    They very much enjoyed it and had no hassles, and entry etc was easy (Germany passports at least).   They also saw Cairo, I think right at the start.  It's a good nation to do little add-ons. 

Yes Exactly..!!! Refer this blog to know more about Hurghada tours https://egyptra.com/articles

Only passed through Hurghada on a bus, so can't speak for it. I think Sharm el-Sheik must be one of the most horrible places I've ever been. I don't have a single good thing to say about it and I really don't understand why anyone goes. Diving and beaches? You can do better. Egypt is of course a poor developing country, so Westerners are already somewhat treated like walking cash machines everywhere, but in Sharm el-Sheik this greed (don't know what else to call it) was in hyperdrive. Everything is exorbitantly priced compared to the rest of Egypt. You are truly in a resort bubble that bears little relation to the rest of the country. I'm well travelled and pretty street smart, and been to developing countries before, experienced with haggling, but one thing after the other, I found people to be dishonest, straight up lying to us, rude, constantly hustling and scamming. Two separate taxi drivers on two separate days purposely took us to the wrong place, far away, took our cash, let us get out and realize we were not where we wanted to be, and then since we were 'stranded' offered to drive us back for inflated prices. Shopkeepers were rude and dismissive, even passers-by we asked for directions took it as an opportunity to try and scam us. Perhaps you can call it bad luck, but I found it oppressive. Luxor was similar, IMO.

Dahab was OK as a base to a few things in the region, and we enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere, though after a few nights in the place itself, we were kind of tired. The constant 'hash hash, my brother, hash hash, you buy it? hash hash, yes yes, speed coke women?' was rather annoying.

Egypt is one of the places that I feel 'been there, done that' and that's enough. Oddly enough, I liked Cairo much more, just wandering streets away from tourist areas and talking to curious people. The pestering by self-appointed 'guides' and demands for baksheesh do grate on you after a while. This is my main criticism of Egypt. It makes it hard to be open to anyone, because you don't know if they're being genuinely friendly or waiting for the right moment to demand cash (and it happens a lot). if you're sitting on a deck chair sipping tequila at the all-inclusive and only venture out to buy a souvenir at prices familiar to your home country, you may not mind. 

Just my experiences, to each his own, YMMV, etc. etc.

On 18.9.2018, 10:55:25, alderhill said:

if you're sitting on a deck chair sipping tequila at the all-inclusive and only venture out to buy a souvenir at prices familiar to your home country, you may not mind. 

Just my experiences, to each his own, YMMV, etc. etc.

We’re in Hurghada at the moment now at an all-inclusive hotel and while it’s been great, there are people walking around the beach/swimming pool areas all day trying to get us to buy everything from tours to massages to photo sessions. And they come back every.single.day.

I find it to be a bit exhausting tbh.

I would still recommend the area though. The color of the water looks like what I’ve only seen in the Carribean. We’ll definitely be back!

26 minutes ago, Santitas said:

We’re in Hurghada at the moment now at an all-inclusive hotel and while it’s been great, there are people walking around the beach/swimming pool areas all day trying to get us buy everything...

Next time go to an exclusive all-inclusive hotel 👍.

34 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Next time go to an exclusive all-inclusive hotel 👍.

Would you mind sharing which ones are exclusive all inclusive? ;)

thanks

At

6 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

The ones with a private beach.

As far as I know, it is exclusive. It’s the employees from the hotel spa who keep harassing us.

This is pointless without the name of the hotel. I have no intentions of traveling there but others might want to avoid it or check it out on Trip Adviser et al.

I suppose one could ask their hotel if this kind of activity takes place or not before booking. I only witnessed it on public beaches all around Asia. Never on a hotel's private beach.

I've been to Egypt several times, in places Hurghada, salmal sheikh, Port Ghalib and Mara alam - its a marvelous place to visit - with so much to see like Pyramids, luxor valley of the kings, Assuan and the southern temples and nice warm water, with coral reefs - ideal for snorkeling or diving and very beautiful to look at as well - although I have been to nicer beaches elsewhere.

The problem of sellers, hassling you, occurs everywhere I have been in Egypt even in 5* star hotels - and it especially affects women. The sellers are persistent and annoying, but will go away if you make it plain you are not going to buy anything from them.

But there again, I have had sellers at me in several places in Asia as well.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

This is pointless without the name of the hotel. I have no intentions of traveling there but others might want to avoid it or check it out on Trip Adviser et al.

I suppose one could ask their hotel if this kind of activity takes place or not before booking. I only witnessed it on public beaches all around Asia. Never on a hotel's private beach.

I’ve spoken to several people who’ve been there and everyone has confirmed what yesterday said. It‘s basically done everywhere, even at 5-Star hotels.

We were actually in Sahl Hasheesh at the Baron Palace Hotel, and as I mentioned in my earlier post, it was employees from the HOTEL‘S spa that tried to get us to buy something from the spa the most, NOT external people. 

On 2/9/2019, 12:10:29, Santitas said:

trying to get us to buy everything from tours to massages to photo sessions

Sorry. I thought this meant things like trinkets, etc. Not just hotel services.