Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What do the Germans really think of the British?

126 posts in this topic

Why is it only snotty when the Texan says he's Texan but not when you say you're English? Is it somehow less accurate?

Yes, it is less accurate, England is a country, Texas is a state.

Oh screw off, eh? ;)

I've been told that the American pronounciation is closer to original language anyway and you lot just went and poshed it all up.

EDIT: smiley added so wee mun can tell when I'm joking around ;)

Have you considered that perhaps the Germans don't glorify and sensationalise war like other nations do.

its a tadge difficult to glorify the loss of a quarter of your territory, a tenth of your population, and the destructoin of most of the cities even though you built shit hot tanks.

zee germans have an image of the brits that is either hooligan or hooray henry.

they laugh about english food but have never eaten a proper roast meal, nor had mint sauce. and are realy pushed to cooked anything "german" themselves.

they like to think england has lots of unemployed and a non-functioning economy were everybody is still strikeing four days a week, it hurts them to see its rather the otherway round at the mo.

they can't work out the difference between england and britain. they like beeckham and the premiere league. they think cricket is weird, the concept of playing for 5 days and drawing doesnt work for this nation.

they think lady di was a saint. they cant work out why certain ales and beers have to be warm. the find us all relaxed and crazy. they can not get to grips with the britsh attitude of taking things a little less seriously than they do. they do not understand that when we say "all right" we mean understood not its all ok.

they think we drive on the wrong side of the road.

they'd much prefer us to the french.

is it less accurate than saying he's German?

Don't twist it around. I was saying it is less accurate calling an englishman british than calling a Texan american. Anyway, Germans are great, it is fun teaching them rude words, then they use them at totaslly the wrong time, it is more fun than clubbing seals!

... but at least they are open and honest about things, and are less likely to stab you in the back, they'll look into your eyes!!!

actually, I have heard the opposite. I have heard many Germans complain that the British (but I'm sure they meant the English) are rather two faced. One friend on mine describes the Brits as the world's best hypocrites. I'm sure that's because they don't understand the rules of British humour.

Also, they are confused by our chit-chat about the weather. I've seen many Germans confused by "nice day for it, isn't it?" as they try figure out what "it" is and how they should respond. They basically think we are excentric talking in riddles about the weather when we're not really interested in the weather at all. Back to being hypocrites again ???

BTW I've often heard them refer to British women as the most two-faced & bitchiest women on this earth !! Not my opinion, but there you go.

I lived in Asia for 17yrs , and lived here for 8 yrs , people are the same all over the world, if you are friendly then it comes back. First rule . learn to speak German, get in there heads. I teach English in a kindergarden, the children love me. I am a hairdresser and have loads of local customers i think they like me because its cheaper to get your hair with me than the local salon, always helps to be liked when they get it cheaper!!! One old man did tell me he was in a prisoner of war camp in England, I told him he was very lucky he was not in a Japanese one , he agreed with me. I have some good German friends.

I’ve been to Britain several times and studied there for a year => I truly love the English, Welsh and Scots and always found them extremely helpful and friendly, but:

- why oh why are they so keen on separate water taps?!

- The same question applies to those old-fashioned spiral-hotplates (I hope you understand what I mean...)

- Some of them (and especially the media) are obsessed about WWII (probably because it was a war which is easy to condone and also their finest hour in the 20th century…) and can't understand why the Germans are sensitive about it

- I don’t mind the food – apart from the bread – but deep fried Mars bars are certainly something the world can live without

- The class system is much more apparent in daily life (e.g. even at university it seemed to me that the sort of accent you speak or the school you went to really defines you very much socially - much more than at university in Germany)

- I loved all the university-related traditions, even when they were cheesy (gowns are great :rolleyes: )

- In an academic surrounding (e.g. at a conference) it’s often hard to figure out what they really think of your work because they’re always very positive about everyone’s work

- It took me some time to figure out that if someone asks you “How are you?

Texas was its own country before it chose to join the United States. So it probably is correct as an analogy of England to Great Britain.

I'm confused :blink: ...easily done. If your English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh, does that not make you British.

I myself am British but wouldn't deem myself any of the above. I was born in Malaysia, my father was half Irish and half Scottish and my mum was half English and half Welsh. :blink:

I get the impression that most Germans like and admire the British; and British to them means English. In a historical way they feel as if the English are their quaint cousins. They do get annoyed by the constant referrals to the war and the 1966 World Cup, which the English propound as a lack of understanding on the Germans´part to the British "sense of humour". I do not think "sense of humour" is the correct analogy although I often found it quite amusing when sportsmen/women from Northern Ireland performed well they were "British" and when they performed badly they were "Irish". I worked in England for a long time and I have a genuine affection for the English, Scots and Welsh even though I would consider myself an Irish Nationalist.

I found the harshest response to the English to have been in Southern Ireland although this was never direct to their faces. I was relocated to the Dublin branch of an international insurer on a two year project, probably because I was Irish. I had an English registered car, which I was made change right away, since it was perceived by my Irish colleagues that any relationship to the UK would be a barrier to doing business in Ireland (considering I commuted at the weekends to Northern Ireland an Irish registered car was certainly a danger to my health). When English colleagues attended meetings in Ireland, they were treated with the upmost respect but as soon as they were gone they were "those English bastards". I was shocked not only by the attitudes but by the sheer duplicity. Indeed, at one meeting, I was outlining how a similar project had been launched in the UK and I referred to the UK as the "mainland", I thought I was going to be taken outside and shot for treason.

I suppose all our attitudes to others are dictated by where we come from and I understand the British sense of humour. We may have won the war but we lost our way after it. Germany is cleaner, the standard of living is higher, its people are generally better educated, more conscientious, hardworking, more polite and simply kinder than we are. And off course I get defensive about this and rant hysterically about not being able to get a proper loaf of bread, that the traffic lights are totally confusing and that they need roundabouts and that you should be able to pay for your drink as you get them and buying rounds is more social than just paying for your own and so on and so on... I can only think of two areas where the British are better- music and television, and thankfully the Germans are completely rubbish. So we revert to our sense of humour, we glorify past glories and we come first in oneupmanship and ill-informed nationalism and all the while our German cousins smile and try and understand where we went wrong.

while our German cousins smile

Where, where? I don't want to miss that! :o

@hams

We are nearly always in full agreement so it is useful that there are some paradoxes between us to ensure self sustaining vitality :D