Finding an apartment in Frankfurt

164 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am looking for a 2-3 room apartment on rent basis in Bornheim/Seckbacher area.

I do not wish to contact any agencies to save on commission/provision. I have searched most websites mentioned in this thread like frankfurter-rundschau,immobilenscout but to no avail.

If anybody is aware of any options please help.

Thanks,

Rachna

Hi Rachna,

You can try finding the apartment by using this link.

http://www.wg-gesucht.de

All the best for your APtmnt search.

Cheers,

Jay

I have a room available in my apartment in Neu Isenburg. The whole apartment is 83 meter square with three rooms + kitchen + wash room.

I want to rent out one of the rooms and share kitchen/washroom. The room is 20m square+.

Neu Isenburg is just south of Frankfurt and the train time between Frankfurt HbF and Neu Isenburg is 15 minutes.

This will be only for three months! (with some chances of extension but no guarantees)

We can negotiate the rent (will be between 320 - 400 Euros per month)

PM me for!

Regards

Ammar

@Jay, thanks for the info, i have been searching for apartments on this site as well but to no avail.will keep looking.

@Ammar, i am looking to rent an aprtment for myself and not on sharing basis.thanks for the proposal.

Ciao,

Rachna

Hello everybody...by any chance does anyone have a studio or apartment to rent or sublet for the next 6 months or so somewhere in the centre of Frankfurt. I'm in the city, my employer has provided a flat for a month but I have to find my own place within a month. Speaking no German I'm having a lot of difficulty negotiating German websites and newspapers, and i dont really have the cash to use an agency so am hoping that a fellow English speaker may just have what i'm looking for.

thanks!

Hello

I've been reading posts and attempting searches so I do not ask the same question for the nine thousandth time...but...I'm checking the websites for house rentals and finding maybe three listed at the most. Is there a better way to see housing online. I'm looking from the States at this point so I must depend on the internet. Possibly I can have some German newspapers sent here. Would anyone recommend a good paper with rental listings? I saw "Frankfurter Rundschau" mentioned in an older post. Is that still a good recommendation?

Another question...is it very difficult (due to traffic, train schedules) or time-consuming to commute into Frankfurt from the surrounding towns?

Thank you!

Which websites are you looking at? immobilienscout has 70, hardly a huge number but more than three. Message is fairly clear though - hardly a huge number of rental houses on offer in central Frankfurt. Also remember that town names tend to be very narrow here. Put in Frankfurt in a search and that is all you will get - places in the administrative district that is Frankfurt. None of the outerlying close-by towns named here etc.

"Which websites are you looking at? immobilienscout has 70, hardly a huge number but more than three."

Hi Swimmer...Yes I've looked at immobilienscout and several others like allgrund.com and many who's names I can't recall. The have several listings but not many townhouses or houses. I will look again if you found 70 listings. I definately don't recall seeing that many, including properties we weren't interested in. Thanks for the suggestion of entering individual towns/areas. We have done that to some extent but it still seems to capture very few listings. Many of the same properties show up on several websites.

We will mostly do a short term rent or hotel once we arrive so we can search areas and hopefully have access to more resources. For now, we are trying to get an idea what you get for the money in different areas.

Thanks!

I have a place in Weisser Stein - 10 mins from centre - available from 1 June.

EUR 1100 warm

No agent fees.

About 75 m2

Airy.

Fully furnished.

Message me for photos / details.

It is very easy to commute into Frankfurt from surrounding towns on the S-bahn or regional trains. Anywhere from 30 min. or less. Consider looking in Dortelweil, Neu Isenberg, Höchst, Bad Vilbel, Kronberg, Bad Homburg, Königstein, Hofheim, or even Darmstadt, Wiesbaden or Mainz. The towns in the Taunus can be a bit pricier, but sometimes you can get housing at a decent price.

You might have to go with a Makler who will help you find a place, but you will pay for it. About 3 months rent is the usual charge, but perhaps worth it if you are looking from overseas.

Thanks for your offer, Listener, but we are just looking at this point since our transfer has not gotten final approval. Also, I think we'd like a bit more space than that for visitors. I will refer back to your post if the timing is right.

Thank you Moondancer. It is tricker to look from over here! I will look at those areas you lsted (already looking at Konigstein and Kronberg...looks really nice) and happy to learn that the commute is reasonable. We may need a Makler but that is a steep price! If our plan works, we will do the serious looking after we arrive. I hope to find something with a bit of garden so it looks like we need to be in the surrounding towns.

Hi LinnyB,

Looks like you got tripped on the same thing that hit me when I first came. Germans are very specific when it comes to their council boundary's, so Frankfurt is only what is considered actually within the specific boundary of the council. A person could live one foot on the other side, say in offenbach, and would never say they are a Frankfurter, even when they travel to another country and get confused responses since no one has ever heard of Offenbach.

But outside of that, Frankfurt has a metropolitan area just like anywhere else in the world. Here it's called the Rhein Main (named after the two main rivers) and has a population of about 5million. Basically, this is the commuter belt around Frankfurt and includes a number of other major cities as well as endless smaller ones.

It works in exactly the same way as a US metropolitan area in that respect, with extensive Autobahn (Freeway) connections, and even more extensive rail connections.

The only real difference is that Frankfurt and it's nearby towns are all surrounded by green belts. So, you often have small bits of countryside in between the towns and urban area's instead of in the US you would find low density sprawl. Outside of that, commuting is commuting whether you pass by suburban houses, factories or fields. Actually, there are many paths through these green belts between the towns which are great for walks, bike riding or taking the dog for a walk.

Because of this though, densities are kept higher than the US. People tend to live in apartments here instead if houses, which explains why you find less houses than you would expect. The other reason is as mentioned by Swimmer and above, you must put in the exact name of the town. Frankfurt itself is quite a dense city and thus has very few houses that would be affordable. Once you leave the city proper and head into the metro area of the Rhein Main, you will find more houses available.

There are plenty of lovely towns surrounding Frankfurt. As I don't know your budget, I can't know if an area is too expensive, but Bad Homburg is a very good option if you have the funds. It's a seriously lovely town, with a castle at it's center and beautiful parks for walks with the dogs. Bad Homburg is both on the U-bahn (metro or subway, though overground at this end), S-bahn (basically faster suburban trains that stop at each station) or Regional Bahn which are the express trains.

Another great town to check out is Bad Nauheim. Like Bad Homburg, it is a wealthy spa town in the metro, with stunning parks and full of Art Nouveau architecture. It is about 30minutes from central Frankfurt making it further than Bad Homburg but also cheaper. Bad Nauheim is only on the Regional Bahn system so there are not as many trains, but by not as many, still there is an extensive service. If I was to move out of the city I think I would choose Bad Nauheim.

Hi Toytowners, My flat would be available again from September 2010 onwards. It is a 3-room, 110 sq.mtr. apartment with a large south facing balcony providing a lovely view of Taunus / Downtown. Supermarkt, Bakery, Pharmacy, Children Park, U6-Bahn station and 3 Bustops are less than 100 meters from the apartment. At present the apartment is completely furnished and ready to move-in but I am willing to take back any or all of these furnishings, if you plan to bring your own. PM me in case anyone wants to visit and check out the apartment. Cheers.

Hey all! I have a question about moving to Frankfurt and it is unique :blink: .

No, seriously, I have read all of the posts on living in Frankfurt. I'd like to hear your thoughts on living in the Innenstadt. I already understand from the thread that Sachsenhausen Nord, Bornheim and Bockenheim are the places to live in the city (and Westend if you can afford and like up-market areas).

I hope to move to Frankfurt on 1 July 2012 as I begin work that week. I'm coming to Frankfurt this Wednesday to view a few properties. They are mainly in the Innenstadt (Lange Str. and Große Friedberger Str.). I will be working in the Trianon building on Mainzer Landstr. and will often work late and need to get home on my own in the dark. Is the Innenstadt pretty safe? What about around Konstablerwache S-Bahn station?

Also, my new employer has undertaken to pay a Makler. I've contacted a few in relation to specific properties advertised on Immobilienscout. Can anyone recommend a particular Makler in relation to FFM properties who I might additionally contact?

Cheers!

Also, what about Nordend? It is a little further away from my work but still reasonable. Is Nordend reasonably safe at night? Is it loud? Any other comments? Thanks!

Hi Aussie Girl,

I have lived in Frankfurt for a few years now, both in Sachsenhausen and in the Innenstadt (just near Hauptwache) and I found them both to be safe and reasonable. (although I guess it is unfortunately sometimes a little differernt for guys) I am from Melbourne and can tell you that the difference in security as you walk down the Zeil late at night compared to Melbourne CBD is significant. It will occasionally be loud in the CBD (mainly on weekends) but nothing intolerable, and the lifestyle of the middle of the city is really convenient. I think you will feel safe and comfortable in all the places you mentioned, (although I do think the Hauptwache area is a little nicer than the Hauptbahnhof/Taunusenlage/Konstablewache area) so maybe just go with the one your prefer, and if unsure, the Innenstadt will most likely be the most convenient and enjoyable.

You are already on the right track with Immobilienscout, I have had 3 now and they are all pretty much the same in my experience.

I don't think my response was particularlarly helpful now that I read it but hopefully it at least gave you a good feel about Frankfurt :-)

Thanks for the feedback, Pat. That's comforting to know! I probably won't be around most weekends so I don't mind weekend noise so much!

I'm currently arranging viewings - driving me nuts trying to work out how many I can fit into 9 hours in FFM! At the moment, the viewings are in Innenstadt and Nordend.

I'd love to check out Sachsenhausen Nord but most of the apartments on offer at the moment are unfurnished.