Finding an apartment in Frankfurt

164 posts in this topic

Me thinks anything in Germany involving an agent is a rip-off! But then again, trying to find something without them is not a pleasant job either.

I am not sure if Langen is really a happening place to live to be honest!

Hey its not that bad :D

If you live downtown Frankfurt Langen would be 11 mins by regional train or 20 mins by Sbahn. 20 mins up the 661, although the traffic can get a bit heavy at rush hour.

Before you rent a place in Germany read my Tips and Tricks for Rentors so you don't get ripped off.

As others suggusted take a short term let first if you can.

Furnished Flats Frankfurt

And if at all possible get a place privately, Maklers are a total ripoff

You can always try WG-Gesucht.de, I don't know if there is a hidden fee involved anywhere, but the people who are letting the house/flat/room leave their phone numbers or email address.

Worth a look innit.

Its not that easy to get to/from Langen by public transport beyond rush hour and daytime hours. Weekends too are hell. One train every 30 minutes only. No night buses. I worked there in my first year in Frankfurt and also lived in Neu-Isenburg which is on the same line as Langen. I chose N-I to live in because it was only a few stops from my office in Langen. But Neu-Isenburg I also found incredibly poor for getting to/from Frankfurt, all the more so considering the place is only just outside the Frankfurt city border. Again, weekends only two trains an hour. The train station is placed a good couple of kilometers from the NI city centre. Ok it has a tram line which runs to Frankfurt, but it terminates at the Neu-Isenburg/Frankfurt border - some 2 km or so from Neu-Isenburgs centre. Very sensible. There are (private - and expensive) buses to Frankfurt, but outside peak times only one an hour.

Both Langen and N-I. are not part of Frankfurt City, they are independent municipalities and so the city tariff which covers you for the large area of Frankfurt does not cover you for little Neu-Isenburg (let alone Langen) even though the former is only a few miles outside Frankfurt. I think all this is due to local municipal political stubbornness, the Neuisenburgers like to maintain their independence. Just to go a few kilometers from Neu-Isenburg to Sachsenhausen costs you more than going the same distance in Frankfurt because of this tariff border. But all in all it made it a bastard of a place to live in if you did not have your own car and just not worth the aggro.

Nor could I find a single launderette in the whole of Langen or Neu-Isenburg, even resorted to checking the yellow pages. Finally I ended up having to cart my washing by train all the way to Sandweg in Frankfurt`s Nordend!

So from what you all say, I should be living in Sachsenhausen and commuting each day to my office in Langen.

Sounds fine to me, I'm used to commuting. It's nice to read a book or paper on the train :)

I guess I need to find a regional overview of Frankfurt (showing Sachsenhausen etc) so that I can pin their locations on Google Earth.

You could even drive to Langen from Sachsenhausen as most of the people (therefore the queues) would be going the other way.

I was strongly recommended NOT to live in Langen. (I live and work in Darmstadt)

Neil...

I guess this isn't much use to most of you (cos, well, you live there already), but I needed an overview of the Ortsteile - Sachsenhausen, Nordend etc etc.

Basically I don't want to live too far north, and have to take 5 trams and then walk for 10 minutes and then take an S-Bahn just to get to work each day to Langen.

A car is not an option just yet. The Kaution on a flat will kill my pitiful student savings (read: overdraft) as it is.

I've found this link http://www.frankfurt.city-map.de/ that will show me the regions or whatever they're called if you zoom out enough. It's not great, but it helps me.

A little tip, before you sign your life away on that dream flat make sure if at all possible that the contract reads that you leave it unpainted. Even though the law has changed its best to avoid getting into a fight with the landlord over painting your flat when you leave.

Generally speaking Landlords expect you to hire a German firm to repaint the place, cost plenty.

Getting to and from Langen during office hours isn't a problem, real problem will be getting from langen train station to work, if you lucky it will be right by the bahnhof, than its a piece of cake. If you have to take a bus than it could be a real pain.

I guess this isn't much use to most of you (cos, well, you live there already), but I needed an overview of the Ortsteile - Sachsenhausen, Nordend etc etc.

If you are just after the regions...here is a area map but unfortunately not combined with a road map.

http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=2835

EDIT: But a better one is (which if you zoom out shows the name of the regions in Frankfurt along with a road map)

http://www.stadtplandienst.de/

If you want to know, how long it takes to get around by public transport:

http://www.vgf-ffm.de/english/fahrplan.html

(You may have to click on the English flag first)

Another good place you could look is down by the Zoo. I think prices there might be cheaper as it is not quite Bornheim and not quite Sachsenhausen either but walkable to all the good night spots and the shops!

You could get the S-Bahn to Langen direct from Ostendstrasse which is not far to walk :D

A little tip, before you sign your life away on that dream flat make sure if at all possible that the contract reads that you leave it unpainted

That is a good idea in theory but most places still have this in the contract and anywhere decent certainly will! I don't think you need to hire a firm though it just has to be done properly :D

Hello everyone,

Due to business i will be arriving to Offenbach June 15th, what is the best way to find an apartment? how could i locate small towns . I once visited my cousin , she lives in Marbug it was beautiul . Are there any cities like that around offenbach or Frankfurt? sorry for all the questions i hope you can help.

Topics merged by admin

Hey guys. Myself and a friend are going over to live in Frankfurt for the year. We will be moving there in July and are looking for an apartment preferably in the Bockenheim region. We want a 2 bed apt and are willing to pay up to €600 a month. All the websites we looked at arnt much use, were going over for a 3day visit next week. Any advise or help you could give us on websites or rental agencies??? tanx a mill, brenkiwi

Hello,

I'm a new poster to Toytown, but have been reading the forums for some time now. Enjoy all the tips and information.

Would appreciate reading about your experiences with finding an apartment in Frankfurt. My spouse and I have been looking for 3 months now but have not found the right place. We currently live in Heidelberg and I am commuting daily to Eschborn by train. It's greuling. How long do you think it might take us to find what we are looking for (if ever, see below)? How long did it take you to find an apartment in an area that you liked? Did you have to compromise? Are you still happy? Have any regrets?

We are a mature, middle-aged couple with no children and an older cat. Because my spouse works at home (Internet) and because we'd like our family and friends from other countries to visit us, we need a larger apartment with at least 4 rooms. The cat (who lived most of her life with an idyllic garden in California) seems to ask daily "where is the back yard?" We currently have none, not even a balcony. The 3 of us would like to have a little garden or some sort of outdoor space accessible direct from the apartment. We also need parking. About the most we can afford is 1500 euro warm. Is it too much to expect to find such a place in a lively, artsy area of Frankfurt? Of course, we are completely enamoured with Sachsenhausen, but have recently also discovered Bornheim. We've looked high and low (from Friedrichsdorf in the Taunus to Darmstadt and the Bergstrasse), but our hearts are set on Frankfurt. We are art, theater and food lovers and enjoy entertaining and/or meeting friends or neighbors at a local pub. I'm just not sure we'd be happy in the suburbs.

Look forward to reading about your experiences.

Bockenheim could also be a good area for you commuting to Eschborn on the train or indeed by car.

I do not think you are being unreasonable in what you are looking for have you tried putting up posters in areas where you would like to live?

Hi Everybody,

I just saw a flyer on Leipziger Strasse in Bockenheim for a 3 room appt.

If anyone is interested, here are the details:

Deposit: 1800 euro

Rent (netto): 600 euro per month

Nebenkost: 150 euro

Fees for garbage collection: 77 euro per month

72 square metres

Contact number : 0171 80 48 174

the apartment is in Leipziger Strasse.

hope this helps.

i have no connection with the landlord whatsoever. I simply thought maybe someone in TT could be interested in finding a flat in Bockenheim.

cheers and have a lovely day!

Hi all,

I have recently moved to Hessen after finding a job in Frankfurt. I#m currently staying with my girlfriend and her family but I'd like to get my own space around FFM. I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to search for accommodation which are safe and reasonably pleasant, bearing in mind that my salary is €25k.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Geoff

Topics merged by admin

I am guessing by your salary that you could afford about 400€ a month but that is only an estimate.

Take a look at this site there are a few rooms in shared flats available for that price

WG Gesucht

I know of a flat available on Glauburgstrasse, Nordend, from September onwards. Its a good location if you want to get to know the city and would appear to be well within reach budget wise.

hello all.

i have literally just arrived. so i am thinking what to do accommodation wise as I have just started a new job in the financial district. I am wondering if it is a good idea to initally use a realtor/estate agent to try and find me a place to rent somewhere central or try and look in the papers. however i was hoping someone could recommend a website (in english) or a paper/magazine ???

thanks in advance.

action

Topics merged by admin