Finding an apartment in Frankfurt

162 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'll be moving to Frankfurt in a couple of months. Can anything general be said about how I should time the apartment search in order to have a good selection to choose from? Should I start looking a long time in advance, like now, or a just few weeks before I need the apartment?

Will it be possible to find a place I can move into a few weeks later?

I'm currently living close to Zürich, CH, so Frankfurt is a bit away from here which makes the whole process a bit more difficult.

Cheers,

Henrik

Hi! I think it depends how you are going to find a flat. If you are going to use an agency, I think you would have a better chance at getting something quite quick and something you like. Thats what I did when I moved to Hamburg. We were living in Ulm at the time so we just drove up one weekend, looked at about 6 places, liked four and had the choice of them all really, wheareas when we first moved to Ulm, we used a local paper. It was quite a long process and quite frustrating trying to find something because from a private person, the landlord gets to choose who has the flat and we were disadvantaged because none of us were German. We saw lots of nice places and never got any. Id say we spent at least a month looking, using evenings and weekends viewing. If you are picky and want to live in a certain area, it will probably take longer than if you have a few areas you wouldnt mind living in. What else you could do is go into one of these furnished appartments that are rented out for a few months so that you can spend more time looking. This is probably more worth while if you are planning to live in Frankfurt for a long time. I dont know of any flats that are advertised too far ahead of when they want to be let out. Januarys ads are usually for Flats for Feburary. I would reccomend the site www.immobilienscout24.de We used this to find our place here in Hamburg and a lot have pictures so you can get a bit of an idea what you are getting.

Good luck with the search!

Hi Hebo,

I think it really depends on what you want. If you don't have much time to look, I would highly suggest working with an agency. Still you need to start working on it ASAP!!

Although, if you want to save agency fees, go with Shala00's recommendation, and rent a furnished place, say for a month, until you find something. Check out the Saturday edition of "Frankfurter Rundschau" for excellent private listings.

The housing market in Frankfurt is quite over inflated, all thanks to the banking industry. "You get what you pay for" is rule of thumb.

We spent over 3 months looking for our apartment (weekend trips & finally renting a furnished apartment), and saw over 25 places!! Mind you, we are very picky.

What are your specs? I'm in Frankfurt, perhaps I can help.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the input. Since I'm single I don't need a huge apartment - probably going for living room + 2 bedrooms. What do you call that in Germany, "three rooms"?

Another very good source of options would be to ask someone at your new company to ask around if they know of any flats that are coming up free - i know a lot of people who have got their flats this way.

I moved here 4 months ago - my new employer paid for a relocation consultant to coordinate rental agencies etc. As it was all done at fairly short notice I ended up with a generally awful selection of flats that were v expensive for what they were - clearly the flats that had been on their books for a very long time.

For a flavour of whats available, check out the frankfurter rundschau online and search the flats for rent section

Try Immoscout24 and put in your own search criteria.

Always look for private before going through an agency. Angencies are thieves. They will take a big pile of cash and will do nothing. They also eat small puppies.

Jean-Pierre

Sachenhausen (close to Schweizerplatz) & Bornheim (close to Bergerstrasse) would be my #1 choices for areas within Frankfurt ... loads of character.

If I'm not correct, housing in Frankfurt can cost anywhere between 10-15 Euro/square meter. I know it's nothing compared to what you've probably paid in Paris or Switzerland ... but like Jonnyboy said, there is a lot of crap here!!!

Good luck!

Hi - I'm moving to Frankfurt in July and am trying to find a flat/house to live in. I'll be working in the city centre but don't really want to live there.

Ideally I'm looking to share a place before I get to know the city a bit better. I've been told that sachsenhausen and bockenheim are the places to try and find a place (i.e. not too far to travel to work and fairly lively for bars/clubs etc).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the best way to find a place (given that I'm looking from London).

Any advice would be helpful.

thanks

denis

Hi Denis,

I've just been through the same.

Sachsenhausen is very nice. It was my preferred place to live but I think that is the same for almost everyone looking for an apartment in FFM!!! If you're going to have a car you have to be careful with Sachsenhausen as parking is quite an issue there (no parking spaces).

Bockenheim itself I don't find very attractive to live in. A bit too much "low quality" in the area. I ended up taking an apartment in City West (5 minutes walk from Bockenheim) mainly because it is very convenient to get to work and the airport from there.

You should also look in Bornheim and Westend. Further, after moving here, I've noted that there are some nice apartments along the river on the opposite side of Sachsenhausen. I don't know the name of that part of town yet (but I guess the apartments are going to be pretty exepnsive there).

If you go for Sachsenhausen be careful with the noise from the airport. In the outer part of Sachsenhausen you have more or less constant noise from the airplanes.

The easiest way to find something is to use a "makler" (real estate agent). If you don't speak any German it will help you even more, as many of them speak English. It'll cost you 2 months rent in fee so you should try to negotiate this with you employer.

Be aware that many apartments are let without a fitted kitchen.

A good website to search for apartments in www.immobilienscout24.de (all in German).

Be aware that the rent is normally stated "kalt" (cold). You shall therefore add heating and Nebenkosten (charges) to the price to get you real rent.

The good news is that there is plente of apartments to choose from. The bad news is that many of them are not really attractive. Since you're moving from London you'll probably find the prices reasonable (everyone else will tell you it is very expensive here - I don't agree in that).

Good luck

Henrik

Hi Denis,

A pre-welcome to Frankfurt! I've been here since last November - and personally love it! Frankfurt is the sort'a city that grows on you ... and July is a perfect time to be moving!

Finding an apartment (at a decent price) in Frankfurt is not an easy thing, but they're out there!

I live in Bornheim and work in Sachsenhausen - both are high on my list. Check out Westend too.

Good luck!

Cheri

Hey Denis,

You can always use a rental agent, but they are a bit expensive. I looked at a beautiful flat with an agent, but they wanted 4000 euro to move in with rental fees + deposit + taxes. 4000 euro!!! You're best bet is to do everything yourself if you can; once I started putting some effort into it, I found a decent furnished place in Borhnheim just by googling 'apartments for rent in frankfurt,' and I came up with loads of stuff online. It took only 3 weeks from the day I started searching to the day I move in.

Also check Nordend for flats, it's a great area not far from the city center.

Good luck!!

Rebecca

Hi,

My name is Matt (22).

I'm graduating soon and have accepted a job in Langen, nr Frankfurt. This isn't my first time in Germany (I was with Hewlett Packard as a praktikant a year ago), but it is my first time in Frankfurt!

It's all very exciting but I'm stuck with where I should start with finding an apartment.

Does anyone have any more tips for the best places to find a wohnung? I'm looking to spend no more than around 500 Kalt/month for a nice place. The closer to the action, the better.

Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you soon

Cheers,

Matt

I am not sure if Langen is really a happening place to live to be honest!

So you might want to try Sachsenhausen it is only a few stops on the S Bahn to Langen.

If you are looking provisionfrei the best place is to try the Frankfurter Rundschau on a Friday afternoon. They do have an online version as well I believe!

I'm searching immobilenscout.

I'm wondering what happens when I come out - I guess I need to come out a week or two beforehand to find somewhere to live. With regards to this, where should I look to for staying for a couple of weeks (very cheaply!) whilst I find a suitable place to live more permanently?

What did you do when you came out?

The last time I was here, everything was sorted for me by HP - I just dumped my bag in a room and went to the pub. Dieses mal ist es nicht so leicht... :wacko: