Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Shipping boxes to Australia from Frankfurt

11 posts in this topic

Dear fellow expats,

After three years, I have decided to move on. My country of choice is Australia. I am not considering moving my entire flat there, so was thinking about just sending a few boxes of essentials.

In the UK, you can get companies to come around to your house and pick up the boxes and ship them to Australia for a reasonable fee.

Does anyone know of a company here that would do that?

Thanks in advance,

Kieron

Ok, first things first. No company will take stuff all the way from Germany to Australia, they all send them to somebody who has a big enough system to cope.

Schenkers was mentioned, you'll probably find that any furniture removal firm will use Schenkers at some point. All that you need is a "middleman" who will pick up the stuff and handle all the international export paperwork.

You can either approach furniture removal firms for quotes, or, if the boxes are small enough (easy for 1 person to carry) send them by post (DHL, FedEx, UPS)

Personnally I'd go down the furniture firm route, the company should supply Überseefracht Hölzkisten or your cradboard boxes will be packed into a wooden crate.

I've had experience with Friedrich & Friedrich in Griesheim, they are a company with lots of international experience.

Hi,

I have looked into the same thing. It appears that Deutche Post is one of the most economical ways. 80€ for a box upto 20kg (with some size requirements). It is done by ship so be sure not to send things you will need urgently, possibly three months!

I hope that this helps, but if you find a better alternative please be sure to share it!

Heading for home!

thanks to all who have replied.

At the moment I think the idea of Deutsche Post sounds promising and I must say I am surprised as I normally find that it costs me a fortune to send anything anywhere with DP.

I will check with them and let you know if it is still possible. 80 euros for 20kg is quite competitive.

You can find some English info here with links:

DHL Postpaket International

€82 for 10-20kg For Zone 4 (Australia) and an extra €20 for 'Bulky Goods Service'.

According to the website it should only 11-15 days to Australia, and air mail for the same weight is only €84 with 7-9 days delivery time.

Make sure that you're not sending anything that is regarded as a prohibited import in Australia. In particular, make sure that you don't send anything made of straw or wood, animal products or food. For more information see http://www.daff.gov.au/content/output.cfm?...172742F91BED3E5

Australian Quarantine and Customs are very strict on mailed/unaccompanied items, and if you send the wrong things, they may have to be fumigated or destroyed at your cost and you could incur a fine.

Also, be aware that when collecting items, you will be required to give proof of identity at the post office - it may be difficult if you don't have any Australian ID, as there are now strict anti-terrorism controls regarding parcels. see http://www.auspost.com.au for info on Australia Post

For information on migration go to http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/index.htm

Hey, this is a little off track but might be useful - I sent a few boxes from New Zealand to Germany, via the national economy post service a few months back before I moved over here and even though I packed things with extreme care to the point of obsessiveness, the boxes looked like someone had played footall with them, then a bit of suomo wrestling to finish off. Things were broken, and the nice NZ wine Id sent for presents, didnt even arrive, just a note saying they were too damaged to send on. I was so bloody pedantic about packaging, that you could say I was more than a little suprised at the state of the boxes when I arrived in the country. I guess my advice is - go for the strongest, sturdiest boxes possible. If its vaulable, dont even think about posting it, and never post anything liquid, it will leak - trust me.

Oh and enjoy Australia!

Its so expensive to send anything large to Australia - 10 times what it is to send stuff from the US to Europe for example. When I heard someone shipped their car from the US to Europe for 1000 euros I was amazed! A suitcase was going to cost me 400 euros!

80 euros for 20kg sounds pretty reasonable to me.

It's also to do with container shipping -- US to Europe is cheaper than the other way around because Europe exports so much to the US and has to get the emptied containers back to Europe to fill them again. Friends transported a car back and forth -- back to the US from Europe cost 1500 Euros instead of the 1000 dollars it'd cost getting it here.