General Motors office in Frankfurt

34 posts in this topic

A friend of mine used to live near Bornheim and it used to take him 50 mins door to door.

If you are not bothered about being in frankfurt you could always consider Mainz. That is only 20 mins away by S-bahn but the train only runs every 30 mins! There is plenty to do there and there is a good connection to frankfurt!

Rüsselsheim is a dump! I avoided it when I came over!

Mainz! Shudder!! Each to his own, but I dont like Mainz. OK, the city is quite pleasant to walk around, but I find the atmosphere too provincial and also too "german". Too many spiesser types, the kind who tut-tut if you walk across the street on red. Dont know how the ZDF people stand it. (ZDF is based there). I get the impression Mainz is firmly under the thumb of the spiesser. And the church. Too much church in Mainz as well.

Frankfurts far more international and lively.

Ha ha! Who is this "spiesser" character- what does that mean? Is it reminiscent of der Fuehrer? Sorry, tasteless joke, but it's Friday.

A "spiesser " is a German expression for an arrogant, smart arse, know-it-all, complete wanker type person

...you know the type I'm sure ...just like Johnathan Wross <_<

A "spiesser " is a German expression for an arrogant, smart arse, know-it-all, complete wanker type person

...you know the type I'm sure ...just like Johnathan Wross

Thanks for the tip- sounds like someone to avoid at all costs!

Another little known fact is: If ya work for opel and want maybe to park your car in Opels perimeters you´ll find a little leaflet under your wiper, which tells you to consider buying an Opel car if you want to park there furthermore.

So go there by public transport at any cost. It´s not worth risking your car in the early morning hours.

And a "spiesser" is a man who was brought up in the traditional way (as in 1946) sticking to traditional german customs, always have a clean car, and always pretending to have no flaws at all, sticking to rules and laws obediently. Just authentic with a good german "Bausparvertrag" <_<

Another little known fact is: If ya work for opel and want maybe to park your car in Opels perimeters you´ll find a little leaflet under your wiper, which tells you to consider buying an Opel car if you want to park there furthermore.

So go there by public transport at any cost. It´s not worth risking your car in the early morning hours.

And a "spiesser" is a man who was brought up in the traditional way (as in 1946) sticking to traditional german customs, always have a clean car, and always pretending to have no flaws at all, sticking to rules and laws obediently. Just authentic with a good german "Bausparvertrag"

I disagree. Having a clean car and a Bausparvertrag has nothing to do with being a "Spiesser".

Detached house, Mercedes C, E, M, S, B or R Class car and a "know all" is a "Spiesser" A show off in other words.

Being sensible having a Bausparvertrag and being a tidy person is not being "Spiessig" !

If you think that that is the case, then most germans will be that way then ... :wacko:

@ far-lands

Okay then: To be a "Spiesser" you don´t have to show off because you do it the right way anyway there is just one way to do it and this way it has to be done. It´s more a name for ppl. with a boring lifestyle who want to tell others how to do things the "right way" and always travel to the same destination every Year etc. ( I don´t want to upset ppl who love their favourite holiday destination and go there often)

Detatched house and driving a Merc (any class) is just to accomplish the tidy, straight and boring Life.

But there have been spiessers seen who were alright with their opel vectra too.

Btw. The Bausparvertrag went into the detatched house so there is no more anyway.

It was just an example for boring ways to save money. (won´t mention saving methods anymore alright?)

Put it this way: Spiesser is a word for veeery boring ppl. maybe you wanna look it up in a dictionary (don´t have one at hand) the english word for it is a philistine. B)

Just looked on LEO, their definition of Spiesser:

ENGLISCH DEUTSCH 4 Treffer Unmittelbare Treffer

bourgeois der Spießer

square [sl.] der Spießer

fuddy-duddy der Spießer

And a "spiesser" is a man who was brought up in the traditional way (as in 1946) sticking to traditional german customs, always have a clean car, and always pretending to have no flaws at all, sticking to rules and laws obediently. Just authentic with a good german "Bausparvertrag"

Thanks. Speaking of "clean cars", I now know why they seem to be a relatively rare commodity in Germany- it's not surprising seeing as washing your car yourself is apparently illegal. I can't get over that!

"The horror...the horror."

-Colonel Kurtz

I thought clean cars were a regular sight in Germany. My brother on a visit over here commented on how clean all the cars were compared to in the UK. In England you often see white vans covered in dust with the words "wash me" scribbled in the dirt. Never seen "wasch mich" here!

Bockenheim / Westend will be the best parts of Frankfurt for you to live in, as there is very easy access to the A5. I think you'll get stuck in some city traffic if you're going from Bornheim.
Can confirm what Henrik says to get from Bornheim by car in the mornings to Miquellalle/A66 would be a bit of a nightmare so Westend would be better for this point of view.

Going by train though I cann see any of them making a difference unless you live directly on an S-Bahn stop and do not have to change. Bornheim would be good for this changing from the U7 you do not need to change platforms at Konstablerwache!

Never seen "wasch mich" here!

Hmmm you missed the Muffin Micra at the meetup then :P

Can confirm what Henrik says to get from Bornheim by car in the mornings to Miquellalle/A66 would be a bit of a nightmare so Westend would be better for this point of view.

Going by train though I cann see any of them making a difference unless you live directly on an S-Bahn stop and do not have to change. Bornheim would be good for this changing from the U7 you do not need to change platforms at Konstablerwache!

Hmmm you missed the Muffin Micra at the meetup then

Thanks Purple Muffin! The Muffin Micra sounds classic! :P

Apparently, its the only way they can actually sell their shite cars. My company actually have one (p)Opel in their VW fleet, specially purchased for the Opel business runs... it gives those narrow minded schmucks the impression that all our company cars are of the inferior marque. ;)