General Motors office in Frankfurt

34 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I was looking at a job which stated that GM's office is "near Frankfurt"...but can anyone confirm for me exactly where it is, and most importantly, if it's close enough to the city center for someone to potentially live inside the city (Bornheim, Sachsenhausen or West End for example) and commute to the assumedly suburban GM location?

I've been stuck in isolated suburbs that are supposedly "near" cities my whole life, so I can't afford to make that mistake again.

Many Thanks

The Sun King

Thanks mates! I'll speak to the recruiter today and see if I can dig out detailed info...sometimes they keep the reality of the location a bit vague, if you know what I mean! Unfortunately, I don't know yet whether it's the Opel subsidiary...I'd gone on the GM website and saw info for several different ones- not sure how closely they are grouped together. I'll have a look at a detailed FFM map and start getting an idea of the "lay of the land"...

It is quite convenient for frankfurt - I work for a subsidiary based in rüsselsheim and we have several people who live in frankfurt! It takes 30 mins on the s-bahn and then depending on where the office is - it is not too far - you will find opelwerks has it's own s-bahn station. Driving takes about 40 mins. But the A3 can get pretty heavy!

Thanks!

Well I've now confirmed that it is indeed in Rüsselsheim. According to the recruiter: "Rüsselsheim is 20 min. via the Autobahn passing Frankfurt-airport direction Wiesbaden/Mainz (half way)"

That sounds optimistic, eh?

For example, can anyone confirm what the total commute would likely be for me from Bornheim or the West End, using public transportation? Would it still only be 30 minutes using the S-bahn from those two districts?

Many thanks! :)

Thanks!

Well I've now confirmed that it is indeed in Rüsselsheim. According to the recruiter: "Rüsselsheim is 20 min. via the Autobahn passing Frankfurt-airport direction Wiesbaden/Mainz (half way)"

That sounds optimistic, eh?

For example, can anyone confirm what the total commute would likely be for me from Bornheim or the West End, using public transportation? Would it still only be 30 minutes using the S-bahn from those two districts?

Many thanks!

From Konstablerwache and Westend it will be about 30 mins to Rüsselsheim by S-Bahn. However in my experience when travelling out that way the trains tend to be fairly full and often not very clean either. I dont think Id find the daily commute out there all that enjoyable. But there are worst things. I dont think youd want to live in Rüsselsheim though (another contender for the title of Arse End of Rhein-Main) Bornheim and Westend are much classier.

Thanks Rick, yes, thanks to many useful comments on this forum, I think I can quite safely narrow down my potential living areas to Bornheim and the West End; I think they would suit me best if I were to get a job in Frankfurt. I actually walked through the West End during my 2005 visit and believe me, it was quite a revelation after the living conditions I've faced here in the UK! ;)

There is also a company called Vector SCM, which is part of an American company called Menlo Worldwide. Vector are based in Eschborn and control all the European logistics for GM/Opel/Vauxhall. Not sure if this is any use, but hey ho!...is the job anything to do with logistics??, I am currently working in logistics/transportation in the UK for GM, but would like to ty Germany for a few years.

Thanks Rick, yes, thanks to many useful comments on this forum, I think I can quite safely narrow down my potential living areas to Bornheim and the West End; I think they would suit me best if I were to get a job in Frankfurt. I actually walked through the West End during my 2005 visit and believe me, it was quite a revelation after the living conditions I've faced here in the UK!

Bearing in mind that Westend isnt a cheap area. Though even Westend will probably seem "cheap" after the high living costs of the UK, not to mention London. I find Westend a bit bland and unexciting, Bornheims much more lively.

There is also a company called Vector SCM, which is part of an American company called Menlo Worldwide. Vector are based in Eschborn and control all the European logistics for GM/Opel/Vauxhall. Not sure if this is any use, but hey ho!...is the job anything to do with logistics??, I am currently working in logistics/transportation in the UK for GM, but would like to ty Germany for a few years.

Hi there Cota, this particular job is actually in Finance. I'm still trying to decide if I should apply for it.

Bearing in mind that Westend isnt a cheap area. Though even Westend will probably seem "cheap" after the high living costs of the UK, not to mention London. I find Westend a bit bland and unexciting, Bornheims much more lively.

Sorry, I meant to ask you- Would it be also be around 30 minutes from Bornheim using the S-bahn?

Danke!

Hi there Cota, this particular job is actually in Finance. I'm still trying to decide if I should apply for it.

Hey, Sun King...what do have to lose if you go for it apart from a) your dignity...b ) self respect and c) do you get any free cars??...

I was a Financial Analyst at GM in Rüsselsheim. They have now moved there offices to the big red building directly beside Rüsselsheim train station. Before it was a bit further away, which meant another 25-30 minute walk from the train station. Now it is perfectly situated and no problem to get to at all (unless trains are running late). Good luck with the application.

Sorry, I meant to ask you- Would it be also be around 30 minutes from Bornheim using the S-bahn?

Danke!

From Bornheim youve got to walk to the nearest U-Bahn or tram. I think they run about every 7-10 mins or so in the rush hour. Once youre on the train/tram Its only 5 mins or so to Konstabler. Then change onto the S-Bahn. The S-Bahn train intervals are longer, but if you time it right it shouldnt cost you much time. all in all you are probably looking at more than 30 mins esp door to door.

A friend of mine used to live near Bornheim and it used to take him 50 mins door to door.

If you are not bothered about being in frankfurt you could always consider Mainz. That is only 20 mins away by S-bahn but the train only runs every 30 mins! There is plenty to do there and there is a good connection to frankfurt!

Rüsselsheim is a dump! I avoided it when I came over!

Yeah Westend is expensive and boring. I spent my first 3 months there, and apart from the local pub and local restaurant, there is not much to do. Bornheim is way better, and so is Nordend.

Thanks for the useful info! Even if I don't end up interviewing for this job, there's a good chance I'll end up in Frankfurt as the majority of English-speaking jobs in Deutschland seem to be there...

I live in Bockenheim and work in Raunheim (the town next to Rüsselsheim).

My drive is around 15 minutes to the office (I'm driving the German way - full speed forward) as you're going against the traffic.

Bockenheim / Westend will be the best parts of Frankfurt for you to live in, as there is very easy access to the A5. I think you'll get stuck in some city traffic if you're going from Bornheim.

Henrik