Why the Germans don't like Frankfurt

52 posts in this topic

All I can say, is that I as a women feel alot safer at night in Munich, than in ANY other Germany City. That sums it all up for me! <_<

I've lived in NY, Barcelona, London, and South Italy and I can tell you that even in a little town in South Italy there was more life on the streets. And that’s why Latinos find Germany a cold country because there aren’t kids, teenagers, mums and dads on the streets at night

and by night you should qualify that as being between the hours of 10pm and 2 am.

I think the most dead boring city was Fussen home of that famous castle, figuring it was hot tourist destination I'd check out the night life, took the dog out for a walk and the city center was dead, 1 bar open no one on the streets nuttin and I mean nothing happening at night, and this was 7 on a Friday. That's dead.

As a tourist destination Frankfurt isn't really worth visiting but as a city to live in its not bad.

All I can say, is that I as a women feel alot safer at night in Munich, than in ANY other Germany City.

Only because you've never lived in Regensburg. The cops are nicer there, too.

As for Frankfurt, my friends living there complain about the tedium -- banks, insurance, law firms... and little else.

woof.

I come from London, but the only city in the world where I have seen needles and syringes lying around on the ground is Frankfurt. That's obviously not a factor considered by Mercer

A few cities where I've seen needles in the streets:

1. Melbourne - don't go walking on St Kilda beach barefoot.

2. Amsterdam - no surprises here.

3. Paris - Gare du Nord, Oberkampf, and also early in the morning underneath the Eiffel Tower.

4. Milan - guys were jacking up in plain view around the Arch of Peace, and in the nearby park I saw someone do a drug deal without even blinking an eye at me witnessing the act.

5. Bristol - saw a guy lying on the floor in a small piece of wasteland off Gloucester Road near the city centre. He had a needle hanging out of his arm that was still lodged in his vein. Bristol also had the largest gang of aggressive beggars I have ever come across, and the place was full of nutcases. One night I saw a young guy masturbating on the bonnet of a car on a busy street in Montpellier.

There are others too: even touristy little Verona has its needles. While unsightly, I don't think the number of drug addicts has much of an impact on my safety or quality of life. As long as they keep themselves to themselves and/or stay out of the places I live and work. I've been in Frankfurt over a month now and haven't seen a single needle, so that seems to be the case here. London, on the other hand, where I lived for a year, is a scarier place, with or without needles. I'd rather have a few wasters in the street, than happy-slapping teenage thugs and thousands of aggressive drunks every weekend.

Just discovered TT (really excellent, isn't it) yesterday purely by chance and have spent a couple of hours reading and lurking, knew I would start join in the discussions sooner or later and my first words of wisdom could have been about so many interesting aspects of life here in Germany: food retail dominated by discounters, why people here like to sit in dark unlit rooms, why it is considered acceptable to blow a very full nose at the dining table, that perenial topic of staring etc. etc.

But here we go with Germans' attitudes to Frankfurt.

Firstly let me say that I have been living in Germany (six different places) for 27 years and for the past 9 years working as a headhunter. Every day I talk to people (99% are Germans) about jobs which I am seeking to fill in various parts of Germany. The jobs tend to be in Munich, Cologne, Düsseldorf or Hamburg but occasionally I have an assignment to find somebody for a job in Frankfurt. Frankfurt is by far the least popular location for the people I approach, and Munich is the most popular. Often people will groan loudly on the phone when I tell them the job would mean relocating to Frankfurt. Interestingly, I have never encountered this response with anybody who has ever worked or stayed for some time in Frankfurt; only people who don't know the city from personal experience ever react like this.

A classic case of a city with an image problem.

To be fair the willingness of the vast majority of Germans (to whom I speak) to relocate at all is practically zero. In other words, if I have job(s) to fill in, say, Munich I generally only approach people already living there. And it isn't just middle aged parents with school-age children who won't relocate because their extended family will not be there to care for their children when they get home from school at lunch time etc. (German school system is a pet hate of mine). Most of the younger and childless people (I approach) are unprepared to move simply because they only feel happy and secure where they were born and grew up. So when push comes to shove it isn't just Frankfurt that they don't like - it's practically anywhere else where they don't happen to live right now.

Having said all that, although I'm very happy in Frankfurt (actually in the Taunus, but could not find that option here), I do think there are a lot prettier cities in Germany (Munich, Hamburg) and a lot livelier ones too (Cologne).

I studied in Mainz and went to Frankfurt ocasionally - and hated it.Everytime I was there, people tended to push me out of their way coz they were oh so busy.When I gave 5 € to a beggar, he was totally overjoyed - seems like people in Frankfurt don't do that.Everyone else in my dorm shared my opinion, a number had been attacked at night in Frankfurt.And it gets even worse in the outer suburbs, just get on an S-train to Rüsselsheim and watch the

wannabe-gangsta-rappers board the train.Do that at night, and you'll fear for your life.

Ok, maybe living in superfriendly Mainz has made me prejudiced, but in my opinion, Frankfurt is really a terrible place to live in.

..And it gets even worse in the outer suburbs, just get on an S-train to Rüsselsheim and watch the

wannabe-gangsta-rappers board the train.Do that at night, and you'll fear for your life...

I've been in Rüsselsheim for a few days a week, most weeks of the last 5 years. There must have been a wannabe-gangsta-rappers convention the day you visited? As for 'fearing for my life' I get the train back from the Frankfurt curry & sushi nights every week and haven't had occasion to brown my trousers thus far.

I studied in Mainz and went to Frankfurt ocasionally - and hated it.Everytime I was there, people tended to push me out of their way coz they were oh so busy.When I gave 5 € to a beggar, he was totally overjoyed - seems like people in Frankfurt don't do that.Everyone else in my dorm shared my opinion, a number had been attacked at night in Frankfurt.And it gets even worse in the outer suburbs, just get on an S-train to Rüsselsheim and watch the

wannabe-gangsta-rappers board the train.Do that at night, and you'll fear for your life.

Ok, maybe living in superfriendly Mainz has made me prejudiced, but in my opinion, Frankfurt is really a terrible place to live in.

Have to say I hate Mainz. Been there several times and I was put of it by behaviour from people there which I experienced which turned me against the place. I got the impression it was full of "Spiesser". Tiny city centre Karstadt/Kaufhof or whatever its called as well. And the atmosphere of the city put me off as well. OK nice little old streets and Gassen in places, for a tourist day out, but other than that, no thanks. Silly litlle place. Too much church there as well. Much prefer Frankfurt.

My experience in the city is rather limited as I've only been in Frankfurt for a month, but coming over from a small town in Ireland, I was pleasantly surpized.

Having no knowledge of the german language what so ever, I thought this first month would be hell, but alot of the german people I speak to whether in shops or asking for directions, are willing to reply back if they know english.

I will say this however, walking around sometimes I get the feeling that the city is very fake, or soulless. Everybody rushing, sometimes pushing their way to wherever there going. The average dress sense is also totally different for me.

I am enjoying the city for the time being, but it does seem like a cold place to live sometimes. By cold I don't mean temperature :P

I hated Frankfurt when I first moved there (and all the already mentioned stuff like it being without much character, unfriendly people etc. is all stuff I'd felt when I first got there), but it's one of those cities that (imo) you don't fall in love with at first sight, you learn to love and it grows on you without you even noticing. I only went there as I had a good job offer there and I was convinced I would only stay for 3 months, just so I'd done it and could say I tried. I thought it was a horrid place. I stayed 3.5 years and am now moving back again in November. It's different to other cities - yes, and you do have a lot of people travelling back home somewhere else every weekend (which I think makes it feel less like a 'home' kind of city.. alot of people are just there to work), but it's great really once you get to know it...the Berger Strasse (as mentioned before) is great and feels totally cosmopolitan, I loved Bornheim anyhow, also all the great places for Brunch and there's lots of stuff going on like Summer beach parties, festivals, lots of Wine festivals because of all the winemaking districts in the area, it's not so big (this for me was a nice change, coming from London) which means you don't have to travel AGES to get from a to be, you're in the surrounding areas quickly (like Wiesbaden, Mainz, Rheingau, Bergstrasse, Taunus and other cities like Darmstadt, Offenbach, Heidelberg, Mannheim, etc. also quite quickly if you fancy a change...i.e. we would sometimes go out in Darmstadt and get the first train back, just for a change of scenery).

rick de

May 11 2007, 12:49 pm

Post #48

QUOTE(Illic @ May 10 2007, 3:18 am)

Have to say I hate Mainz. Been there several times and I was put of it by behaviour from people there which I experienced which turned me against the place. I got the impression it was full of "Spiesser". Tiny city centre Karstadt/Kaufhof or whatever its called as well. And the atmosphere of the city put me off as well. OK nice little old streets and Gassen in places, for a tourist day out, but other than that, no thanks. Silly litlle place. Too much church there as well. Much prefer Frankfurt.

Rick, you will find "Spiesser" also in Frankfurt and as well in all German cities. It is part of the mentallity of the Germans ;)

I lived for 10 years in Mainz and I am living now for 7 years in Frankfurt. Before I moved to Frankfurt I got the same bad impression of Frankfurt the most people have. I hated the city. But for job reasons I was forced to move to Frankfurt. And I learned that you have to find out HOW to love the city.

I think one reason of the bad perception of Frankfurt is, that you really have to know the nice places to enjoy this city. And maybe this will take a while. Frankfurt is not just the city center with the office towers - this part really does not have a soul. But you will find the soul of Frankfurt easily in the parts like Sachsenhausen or Bornheim. There you can meet the "original" Frankfurt, a lot of history and nice places, which does not only mean "Äppelwoi Wirtschaften".

Cheers, Flora

Germans don't like Frankfurt due to its bad publicity in German media as in drugs everywhere, high crime rate, higher percentage of foreigners. There is a certain fear of it, I guess.

Frankfurt itself is also very low key. It has no reason to explain itself. You stay if you like it. If you don't, well pack up.

I just moved here from San Antonio, TX last December and after never ever thinking about moving to this town, I am loving it! It is truly the most American city I know in Germany and after nearly 8 years in the US, I even feel already semi-at-home here.

So much to explore, so many super friendly people - Germans or Expats.

Good to be here! :D