Why the Germans don't like Frankfurt

52 posts in this topic

I don't like Frankfurt. I have visited around twenty to thirty times. My ex came from Bad Homburg, which if people are saying that Wiesbaden is slow, then Bad Homburg ground to a hlat when the Homburg hat was in fashion. But Frankfurt is too much like an average American city. There doesn't seem to be a substance there. The affectations of the people in the clubs to the boring cityscape dulls me. There are some nice clubs, nice restaurants, they have a great Weihnachtsmarkt...but it lacks depth and originality. In my tour guide of Germany I would definitely give FFM a pass.

. But Frankfurt is too much like an average American city. There doesn't seem to be a substance there. The

Brokenm

I've lived in New York so don't see how you can say Frankfurt is like an average American City (in what sense the fact it's got a few Sky scrapers - don't believe the hype Frankurt am MainHattan!!!)..

...it's a German city at the end of the day (the archectiture of the houses etc)...people do similiar things to what is going on in Munich...there is tanz die Mai - people like to go Cafes. Kaufhauf/Saturn/BlackMusik

I was there last week - people were cycling and walking next to the river just like on Sunday in Munich.

Not sure what clubs you went to but there weren't many clubs but if you know where and when to go...it had a great atmosphere...

In my opinion - most cities nowadays in Europe are very similiar...what makes the differences is the friends you make and the pace of life smaller cities vs bigger...latin vs saxon and countryside (you can't face mountains and lakes) etc.

I will say one thing - I was lead to believe that Munich is a lot prettier than it is - My Bavarian nationalist friend (who lived in ffm and complained all the time) compared it to Barcelona and Paris. It's hot but not that hot...

Relating to Broken's previous post, I don't agree, in fact I much prefer Frankfurt to Munich. I have been to Munich loads of times and apart from the mountains and the lakes, I think that Frankfurt is a much better place to enjoy both the joys of working and the nightlife.

Whenever I have been to Munich (also together with people that live in Munich) whether it has been going out in Schwabing, Haidhausen, old centre etc etc, I have always been disappointed with the nightlife. Either certain areas have been dead, or there is a large concentration of proper "schicki-micki" bars/clubs.

either way, I am disappointed that so many people have bad opinions of Frankfurt, when all too often they haven't seen the real frankfurt or go to the places where the real Frankfurters go, and not just the bankers and the jet set.

either way, I am disappointed that so many people have bad opinions of Munich, when all too often they haven't seen the real Munich or go to places where the Münchner go, not just the expats.

well, the fact that some of the German side of my family used to live in Munich enabled me to see some of the 'real münchen' also. i can see your point, but I just think that from spending a fair amount of time in both places overall Munich is often overrated and Frankfurt unfortunately underrated.

well, i used to live in Schwalbach i.Taunus just up the road from Frankfurt but this was many years ago. I don't know if anything has changed since then.

This is my view:

Very sterile city centre with (for european standards) tall sky-scrapers filled with suited boring bankers and brokers. Most of these skip town for the weekends so fridays and saturdays are relatively quiet for a city that size. Back then it was full of american soldiers and family (this was pre Gulf War I), probably not so many now. The surrounding towns are sleepy residential areas filled with boring bankers etc. Most buildings that are not sky-scrapers are 50's 60's designs and totally boring. oh and the parks were full of drug abusers and dirty needles.

I agree with brokenm that it has no substance. It has nothing that makes Frankfurt typically Frankfurt (except for the tall buildings). It has no soul. It is filled with people who are not from Frankfurt.

Munich is by no means the best city in the world and disputably in Germany either. But at least it has charachter. It has attributes which makes it uniquely Munich. There are many positive sides to Munich which you only see once you've been here a while. And like all German cities (or all cities full stop) it has it negatives. But no-one can argue that the city doesn't have charachter

I want to defend bankers...

We are not all sleepy - I for one loved afterhours and spent many a time in Frankfurt dancing away with hookers, pimps, drug dealers and gays (and a few yugo ganster for good measure)...wot fond memories they were!!! :)

I agree with brokenm that it has no substance. It has nothing that makes Frankfurt typically Frankfurt (except for the tall buildings). It has no soul. It is filled with people who are not from Frankfurt.

I agree that Frankfurt has something lacking but I believe that boils down to the fact that medieval Frankfurt was heavily destroyed due to the war.

The city of Frankfurt was severely bombed in World War II. About 5 500 residents were killed during the raids, and the once famous medieval city centre, by that time the largest in Germany, was destroyed. The reconstruction after the war took place in an (often-simple) modern style, thus irrevocably changing the architectural face of Frankfurt. Only very few landmark buildings have been reconstructed historically, albeit in a simplified manner.
The fact that is filled with people not from Frankfurt though adds to the character. It must make it one of the most multicultural cities in Europe.

180 different nationalities reside in Frankfurt.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt

One of the best streets to visit in Frankfurt is the 2 to 3 mile long Berger Strasse with its quaint boutiques, bars & international restaurants.

the parks were full of drug abusers and dirty needles.

Oh contraire!

I spent all of last summer hanging out in Gruneburg park, which I have to claim as the best city centre park I have ever been to. Gloriously hot and sunny (I'm from N Ireland, so thats not a high hurdle to pass admittedly) I spent every weekend there, whether playing football or relaxing with the paper. The fact its also a 2 minute bike ride from my flat and that I run around it numerous times a week come sun or snow has of course nothing to do with it.

And what truely astounded me was (not only the girls sunbathing topless...) but the number of mothers and parents who would be out with their friends for a bottle of bubbly (ok, sekt) on a Saturday afternoon where the 3-4 year old kids ran around the park, one minute they were there, next minute they were 100m away in a park (and well out of site). Did the parents blink an eyelid? Did they heck. Next minute, kids back for 30 secs, then dissappear to have fun for a while before returning 5 minutes later.

Mix all of that in with the young folk looking to top up a tan, the yanks playing throwball (what is it they call it again?) and it works out to be a pretty cool place for a day in the sun

Show me that in the UK.

I've lived in New York so don't see how you can say Frankfurt is like an average American City (in what sense the fact it's got a few Sky scrapers - don't believe the hype Frankurt am MainHattan!!!)..

...it's a German city at the end of the day

In my opinion - most cities nowadays in Europe are very similiar...what makes the differences is the friends you make and the pace of life smaller cities vs bigger...latin vs saxon and countryside (you can't face mountains and lakes) etc.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Frankfurt, but the truth is it is the least like a German city than any other city that I visited. I would not say New York is an average American city, so I don't quite understand the comparison. In my opinion an average American city is one that people commute to work and live outside of the city. In all the other German cities I lived in or visited. The aspect that I enjoy more than anything else is that the inner city is where people live and work. The whole town is alive. When you have people who leave the city for the weekend or at the end of the day, the city has a different feel. A feel that I do not like.

Your point is spot on with regards of your friends you make being a major determinate of whether you enjoy your life. But I was describing the city, not your social network. So, once again FFM is just not for me, if you enjoy-great! But for the aspects of a city that really interest me, FFM just doesn't have it.

Show me that in the UK.

Been to Cambridge recently???

Anyhow, as mentioned before this is not about comparing FFM to UK towns/cities, but to other German cities.

I would not say New York is an average American city, so I don't quite understand the comparison. In my opinion an average American city is one that people commute to work and live outside of the city.

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to compare it I just wanted to point out that I've lived in the States. Anyhow, I worked in White Plains so did see more than NY.

Let's get this straight FFM has more people commuting in to work than most German cities but the idea that this is particularly quite at weekend in comparison to most German cities is bull. It does have city centre living list most central and southern European cities, however, the city centre streets in general are dead at night (clubs and bars are in Sachsenhausen and hanoverlandstrasse. However, this is the same, in my opinion, with most German cities - not many people on the city streets albeit Keiserlautern, Beidefeld, or Bonn.

I've lived in NY, Barcelona, London, and South Italy and I can tell you that even in a little town in South Italy there was more life on the streets. And that’s why Latinos find Germany a cold country because there aren’t kids, teenagers, mums and dads on the streets at night. And, for Brits it lacks the dynamism of loads of pubs/clubs in the centre of town and people walking to and from them.

My Girlfriend when she came to Manchester and was out with my brother and me was shocked at the number of people on the street and the atmosphere. She asked me if it was a special holiday – and this was in the middle of winter. PS. She also got to see the girls wearing mini skirts and flips flops, which was hoot to see!!!

Everyone will have the favourite places but to suggest that there is a huge difference in the style of nightlife between Munich in my opinion is false. Munich is double the size so has more to offer but it still is a German city – i.e. Bars and Clubs spread out – lots of lame Café bars masquerading as bars. For me, the big difference is the outdoors that's what seperates ffm and Munich.

I come from London, but the only city in the world where I have seen needles and syringes lying around on the ground is Frankfurt. That's obviously not a factor considered by Mercer <_<

I want to defend bankers...

Unfortunately, they cannot be defended. After my many years of banking I can safely say that bankers are some of the most boring gits on earth.

Just because there are loads of financial services type people milling around doesn't mean a city is dull B)

However, in my experience, and those of all my colleagues, including those who live and work there, Frankfurt is a dull, boring, soulless place - whether it be a weeknight or weekend.

And, the beer is shit compared to what you get in Munich (though better than Hamburg).

I guess though that every city is what you make of it. If you've got a good bunch of mates you're bound to have a laugh and grow to love somewhere.

Well I've lived in Frankfurt twice (in 1995 and again in 2000) and I really enjoyed my stay in the city. However, I lived in Sachsenhausen which I loved.

Lokalbahnhof was my usual bar, I had no real hassle to speak of, went to some great clubs, the best sushi I've had in Germany was there and while I like Munich tons, Frankfurt was great too.

It is different, like apples & pears. Some like apples, some like pears really.

2nd attempt to defend bankers!!!

The average ffm banker is not as wild as the average London banker but believe me - we had a wild time...and anyhow most of the bankers with family don't live in Frankfurt so they left the city to us lot on the weekend... And as I said, you needed to know where the underground clubs where...

Here's to the hedonistics, wild and crazy bankers of the world...

Stanford

PS. Banker means people working in Banking in my experience Traders and Brokers aren't shrinking violets...