Why the Germans don't like Frankfurt

52 posts in this topic

From what I've seen, Frankfurt is an affluent city which boasts an impressive quality of life. Why is it that most Germans seem to frown upon it? It does seem to be the "most American" German city, if you know what I mean. I also hear a lot of comments indicating that it's not as enjoyable to live in if you're single, compared to the other major German cities. But there's supposedly a large percentage of expats and single households, so what's the real deal? Is there really a significant difference in the lifestyle/culture there or is it just an "urban legend" so to speak? Most people seem to agree that it's not the ideal place to go for diving into the heart of typical German culture, but is it really that sterile?

I think there may be a number of reasons for this

- FFM`s relatively small size,

- lack of much in the way of famous features compared to the other major league cities in Germany

- the unique feature it does have compared to other cities is the huddle of tall office blocks in the centre

- and office blocks mean office workers, bland people in suits who only venture onto the streets at lunch hour (or half hour) and then scurry off home quickly after work

- most of its cutesy old fretwork buildings were destroyed in WW2

- by all accounts the city centre was pretty bland through much of the post war era up until the 1980s eg the Alter Oper was left derelict up until then when it was finally restored, lots of bland 50s buildings, lots of wartime sites simply remained empty as makeshift car parks.

- people from elsewhere have heard all the above about Frankfurts early postwar past, and they still think its like that today, a mistaken view not based on fact - a bit like the belief many Germans have that its always raining in England.

- the impression you get of the city when you come out of the Hauptbahnhof and the first thing that hits you is the seedy Kaiserstrasse area

and maybe also, tho I hope this isnt true:

- a high percentage of non-germans, esp non-white/non-christian immigrants. Germans from little towns and places that are more "german" turning their noses up at it for this reason, regarding it as a sign that it cant be a very classy place.

Some explanations off the top of my head!

Because most of the other big cities have better selling points. Munich has everything and the hills arent far away, Hamburg has the water, Berlin has all the history and fancy buildings.

Frankfurt's just got a lot of bankers and lawyers - but not much in the way of eye-catching selling points like the others

(or that is how they see it anyway)

Pretty good place to live though

Office blocks and bankers dont exactly make for an exciting night life do they!

I have plenty of German friends who would argue the opposite! They were all born and brought up here and refuse to move out of Bornheim. One of them actually split with his grilfriend, who lived in Bockenheim, because he could not imagine leaving Bornheim to go and live with her and yes we might be talking about two different parts of Frankfurt but it is hardly a great distance.

it's not as enjoyable to live in if you're single

Who says this and how on earth can they know a fact like that? I love the single life in Frankfurt.

Hi All,

Thanks for these useful comments.

Purple Muffin, to answer your question about why many people seem down on Frankfurt nightlife, I think it comes down to this comment mostly:

"and office blocks mean office workers, bland people in suits who only venture onto the streets at lunch hour (or half hour) and then scurry off home quickly after work"

I sort of got this vibe too when I visited Frankfurt, but due to the brevity of my stay and the fact that I may just have been in the wrong parts of town, I realize I can't judge yet. I found your comments very encouraging, Purple Muffin!

I'm going to need to expand my current job search because I'm finding that there are very few managerial finance roles which don't require German language skills (not surprisingly)...I had initially ruled out Frankfurt as it was not among my top choices but methinks it's time to throw it on the list!** B)

**I'm also going to add Paris and Prague, but that's another story!

Because most of the other big cities have better selling points. Munich has everything and the hills arent far away, Hamburg has the water, Berlin has all the history and fancy buildings

And never ending rain as well, the mountains make for shit weather. I'll take Frankfurt over Munich anyday

at least as far as the weather is concerned, and if your north of the city, as I was, the mountians are a good 3 hours away on a nice weekend, seems everyone and their mother wants to go.

Otherwise I agree Frankfurt is a rather bland city.

I really don't understand why Frankfurt has got such a bad reputation in Germany.

I love this city, its buildings, old and new, its river, its atmosphere, its people..

And yes, the quality of life is pretty high there; salaries are high, life is cheap.

In Paris, salaries are not high, and life is expensive..

I really don't understand why Frankfurt has got such a bad reputation in Germany.

Because it's the city where more crimes per head of population happen than in any other big city in Germany (Munich being the 'safest')...

And because it's the city where more crimes per head of population happen than in any other big city in Germany (Munich being the 'safest')...bit like Nottingham in the UK these days.

I lived in Munich for a year. Found the locals really unfriendly. In Frankfurt they seem much more open to other nationalities. That also applies to the towns in the Taunus.

Fairly recently I was discussing the pros and cons of a fresh new start, when I mentioned that I thought Frankfurt would be ideal as a city to move too (basically coz I know how friendly the BB'ers down there are), my German friend with whom I was discussing it with was shocked, wouldn't have anything to do with the place, when asked why not... there was no concrete answer just that she wouldn't move down there in Hessen!

I was on a train travelling from Nürnberg back to Frankfurt. A guy got on in Hanau and asked me if the train was going to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof, and how can he get a connection to the Messe from there. He proudly said this was the only about the second time in his life that he`d ever gone to Frankfurt! I felt like saying thats nothing to be proud about - Hanau in my opinion being a contender for the title of the arse end of Rhein-Main!

I lived in Munich for a year. Found the locals really unfriendly.

and too many people going around wearing all that silly dark green hunting style garb. Either that or dressed to the nines.

Mosche...

a few times Frankfurt has been voted number one in lifestyle polls and so on and for career perspective voted number 2 after Paris in Europe.

Frankfurt offers a large variety of different nations, still the most multicultural place in Germany as nearly every 3-4 has a non-German passport.

Vargely 700k people live in Frankfurt and over a million during the day. Saschenhausen and Bornheim are awesome for meeting new faces and have ur craic. On the other hand Hanauer Landstrasse offers a number of poshy like clubs. Big university and major business place attracts younger folks too... just from opinion, it s quite a fun place as single. As Germany finally got their grip on After Work Parties...

Sorry for writting bit of gobshite. am close to my exams so bit ...

Cheerio

i have met someone from Frankfurt who says Munich is much nicer in various aspects (city centre etc). i was rather surprised as other Germans don't praise Munich unless they have to.

I lived in frankfurt for 4 years and had a whale of time. Even though I and most of the other expats (French, Swiss, engish, Irish, Spanish) all new that it was only for a specific time.

It's not a beautiful city nor is it ugly - just non-descript. And, forget German's opinion as most are just regional hang-ups..ala Manchester vs Liverpool.

In my opinion what set's Munich apart is the outdoors (lakes and mountains) and beer Gardens - in terms of the city it's very similiar - there are trendy bits bornheim like Gartnerplatz - there are sloany bits West End vs Maxmixilian strasse. People do cafes and fruhstuck...there are afterwork parties...there is Kinkameimeha like there is P1 here.

Finally, it is small...700k is a big difference from 1.5million...after a while I found it offered less variety than I wanted. 1.5million is like my Manchester so Munich fits into my optimal size for a city - while London or Berlin are too big...

PS. Don't forget Weisbaden is 30 mins away and that is a very pretty city but is dead...so pretty cities aren't everything...

Forgot to say, when I told most of my hessens friends, we were moving to Munich they started slagging of Bavaria and Munich. Saying the people aren't friendly and this and that...

So once again don't take so much notice of Germans when it comes to their own cities - they've all got hang-ups and aren't neutral. (Partly as they grew-up in a place and have family and friends there).