Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Life in the Sachsenhausen district of Frankfurt

24 posts in this topic

Good Morning Everybody

I am moving to Frankfurt next weekend to a place called Sashsenhausen, does anyone live in this area? if so what are the kindergelds like, the people ect...

Also can anyone give me the main frankfurt website address, i have been looking for cheap flights from UK to Frankfurt for my family and friends but the only cheap flights i can get go to Frankfurt (Hahn), when i first started looking i found some but cant remember where they are...lol can anyone help?

Thankyou

Sarah :D

Hello Sarah and welcome to the Britboard!

Sachsenhausen is a lovely place to live. It is close to the centre and has lots of lively bars and a good nightlife. I have a few friends that live there and they all like it. It also has lots of nice shops etc Schweizerstr.

I am not sure on the Kindergeld as I do not have any children but as far as I know it is not affected by the area in which you live the amount of money you receive is the same (somebody who knows more about this is sure to give you more info)

Do you mean you main site for the Frankfurt Airport? I find the best flight deals are with British Airways if you book online far enough in advance you can get flights for as little as 100€! I try to avoid Ryanair and Hahn whenever I can. It does not work out cheaper. The only advantage is if you need to get to Stanstead.

Hope this helps a little

Wonderful!

Welcome! We sure are getting more expats in Frankfurt these days, its great!

Best regards, Chris

Welcome to Frankfurt Sarah :)

Sexyhouses is a nice part of Frankfurt to live in, the biggest downer in this area is parking spaces... there is plenty of them - but they are always taken.

The Kindergeld Childrens allowence is about 152 euro per child per month, it increases after the third child.

This money is usually transferred by your employer into your bank account along with your salary.

Cheap flights from Frankfurt/Main are not common, but as Muffin says, Hahn does not work out cheaper because all the extras add up to make a "cheap" flight very expensive. Michael O'Leary keeps adding new rip-off tactics, baggage charges, extortionate credit card charges (5 euro per person for a return flight, great rip-off for group or family travel) , and even Wheelchair fees (what a scrooge!)

Hope you find Frankfurt a nice place.

Regards,

Bob

Welcome from me too.

Sachsenhausen is very nice, a bit pricey, but very close to the river with lots of places to etc.

The Kindergeld is 154 euros by the way.

Ben

Thanks guys,

Cant wait to get there my furniture leaves the UK on Tuesday, so it's all go this end, i'm ripping my hair out...lol :wacko:

I had heard it was a nice place to live just wanted to double check.

So tell me if i need furniture like wardrobes and drawers where would i go because we havent got a car out there yet we sold them over here, and apparently it's a long journey to get to ikea, was wondering if you had something equivalent to say Argos or a furniture shop that you dont need a mortgage for...lol

Sarah

I would suggest hiring a car for a weekend and going to ikea. The one in Wallau is about a 20-30 minute drive. You should also go to Segmüller in Weiterstadt. I think you can get there with public transport but again it might be easier just to hire or borrow a car.

Another place you could look is Möbel Thomas which is in Riderwald and accesible via the U7.

I've assume that you've allready rented a place, but if not you may want to read my tips and tricks on renting a flat, you will quickly discover that Germans do things backwards.

Tips and Tricks for Rentors

Kindergeld doesn't come via your employer. It comes direct from the Arbeitsamt. You get all the forms from the place where you register.

I am sure they simplified the system a few years ago... my previous company certainly informed us of the change in the form of a newsletter (one of those "whats new this year" ones). Maybe its just an option that you or your company can opt for.

Welcome.

Sachsenhausen is nice as the other's have already commented, but can get a bit noisy around Alt Sachsenhausen which is where all the tourists and German hen/stag parties go to. But Sachsenhausen itself covers quite a wide area.

For flights if you are quite flexible on times and dates, BA have changed their pricing structure for their new BA Connect service:

"fares from £25 one-way in the UK or £35 (€49) one-way to and from Europe"

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/connectexp/public/en_de

Yet to try it myself.

Do you mean you main site for the Frankfurt Airport? I find the best flight deals are with British Airways if you book online far enough in advance you can get flights for as little as 100€! try to avoid Ryanair and Hahn whenever I can. It does not work out cheaper. The only advantage is if you need to get to Stanstead.

Hope this helps a little

but only from FRA to London also, right?

EDIT: ok I take it back. In July it would be 109 Euros to Manchester and return. Just tried. I just can't book cuz I can plan so far in advance :D

ops, yup just edited the post, but you were faster in replying ;)

Cologne/Bonn is an option with Easyjet. Last month I paid 90€ return for two people to Liverpool. It wasn't a one-off either.

I know, thanx. But also not very flexible in dates and times and we need a train ticket extra to go to Cologne. Thanx though :)

yes I could. Like I said:

but only from FRA to London also, right?

EDIT: ok I take it back. In July it would be 109 Euros to Manchester and return. Just tried. I just can't book cuz I can plan so far in advance

:D