Passenger opinions of Frankfurt Airport

34 posts in this topic

The benefit of Terminal 1 is if your flight is delayed you can kill some time in the sex shop.

So you're the guy who is always reading those scat magazines!

For the size I find Frankfurt Airport quite good. It beats Charles de Gaulle and Heathrow by miles (and all the American airports I've been to be hundreds of miles - try going to Dulles and you can start talking about a sh..hole of an airport).

I really like how easy it is to get there. I'm a very frequent user and I've never had a traffic jam on the motorway on the way there (happened every morning when I lived in Paris). I don't see the parking as an issue. Tried in Paris once that there was no more parking spaces!! Then you have a problem.

The thing I hate most is when your gate is A42 or something similar. Feels it would be faster to walk to your destination than to the gate.

The smoke is a pain everywhere in Germany - not only in the airport. Actually it is less of a problem there than at most restaurants.

Henrik

I recently flew out of T1 and it is pretty outdated and scruffy because basically the airport has been holding off investment until Lufthansa has moved over to the other side of the airport ( Where the US air force used to be ) into the new 75 gate Terminal 3 which will be constructed in stages . I don't know what there gonna do with T1 maybe knock it down or just revamp it. One of the things that gets on my nerves is that second security check which catches a lot of people out. Having to empty my pockets again and get searched just seems stupid. But Frankfurt took a lot of Criticism for that bag that blew up Panam 103, it passed through the airport and there is also a lot of US servicemen transitting through the airport as well. Another reason is that the UK is a non Schengen Agreement country and does not allow the free movement of people even though they are EU citizens which as a personal opnion is a restraint of trade.

a few links to the airport website, the terminal compertition and the winner!

http://www.ausbau.fraport.com/cms/default/...64.projects.htm

http://airport.absence-of-fear.de/terminal3.php

http://www.chm.de/en/competitions_content.html

the 2nd security check is only on T2, isn't it? I am asking cuz we'll go from T1 in April and last time we went (in October), there was only 1 :huh:

the 2nd security check is only on T2, isn't it? I am asking cuz we'll go from T1 in April and last time we went (in October), there was only 1

Well I flew out of T1 on Lufthansa (The old one) to Manchester 3 weeks ago and I had to go through TWO security checks. I am not sure about Terminal 2 I know BA use that terminal. The gate I think I used was B55 which means they take you on a bus to the aircraft maybe that's why we had a second check!

Hiya,

all British, american and austrailian airlines (and a few other countries involved in the iraq war) Have to by German law have 2 security controls. Luftansa manages to get out of this. I have worked at the airport for 5 years and we know the passengers hate the inconvienance of all this but its german law. Also the rude security people who cant even speak english have nothing to do with the airlines they are sub contracted by Fraport (airport managers) The staff also have to be checked by them and trust me we know they are awful.

I think they have now built a cafe in T2 after the 2nd control as sooooooo many passengers complained about the lack of refreashments.

I have a 5 hour layover in Frankfurt tomorrow, I am not looking forward to it, as its my least fav airport in Europe, and from reading the comments hasn't improved in the last years. <_<

ugh, a 5 hour layover anywhere sucks. and you hadn't even left germany. have fun.

funny this should come up - I was just in the Frankfurt airport last week and was approached by someone doing a survey of what people thought of the airport, as far as shops and food options go, things to do to kill time, etc.

Gave her my honest opinion. ;)

maybe improvement is on the horizon!

You could take a 45 Minute Tour...

Or Get your hair done (which is where I typically get my hair cut :ph34r: ).

And ooh look, a new Häagen-Dazs shop!

There are generally good selections of English language magazines as well (if you're into that sort of thing), much better than the selection in Munich, CHG, well the best I've found outside of an english speaking country in Europe.

Well, layovers are typically a drag, but airports can be fun! (If you want, you could try running through the security gates without letting anyone stop you - kinda like Red Rover) :D

Big supermarket in the basement? The dry cleaner is pretty good in FRA too. Or get airline staff to take you to the staff shop down near where Dorian Gray used to be. :ph34r:

acutally leaning towards a haircut, never had time to do that before. On my return trip, I only got 2 hours there. Not as bad. :P

Hi Bryony, it's weird on the security thing flying to countries that like to bomb the f*** out of others for oil.

Sometimes you get the extra security checks, sometimes you don't.

At least at Munich anyway.

Neither is the level of security consistent at any airport.

Sometimes its shoes off, sometimes not.

Sometimes a stick of chewing gum in a silver foil has them snapping on the latex gloves but I walked through last week having forgotton to reove my keys and not a peep.

Had the misfortune to fly to Frankfurt the other week.

Badly signed, rude staff, felt cramped. The little train between the terminals was cute though.

VERY fit bloke at security searching me. But we kept it respectable.

Zippos are always fun for security. When I flew with a Zippo and they told me to take the flint out. I had about 3 other lighters, matches etc in my handluggage and they were fine with that. A zippo however causes you so much grief. I started to believe I was a terrorist.

The last time, savvy to the security checks' method of disarming this weapon of mass destruction, Al Qaeda agent Grimsby took the flint out. Confident in the knowlege that he could always rip apart one of his back up weapons and rearm the silver WMD. Smiling, I walked up to the security check and brandished my now impotent death bringer. "Ahhaaa!" says the security guard. "Now take the cotton wool stuff out as well."