Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dog pounds or shelters in Frankfurt

19 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am just wondering if any one knows if there are any dog pound / shelter in Frankfurt. I am looking to adopt a small dog. If any one knows of a place around frankfurt please let me know.

Thanks!

Click for the TSV Frankfurt - Frankfurt Animal shelter dogs section. You'll have to be able to speak some German for this one.

Hope this helps.

There is one in Fechenheim. I am not sure what the procedure is though I went there with my cubs they were doing a community project and I spent a whole Saturday cleaning out dog bowls!!

I think there is also one in Egelsbach as well

One thing you should know before trying to get a dog from the animal shelters in Germany is that they can be quite picky about who they give a dog to. A co-worker tried to get a dog from a shelter and was told he could not get one because he is at work all day - his Oma was home during the day but the animal shelter said Oma was too old to care for the dog - and they would not allow this.

( Thought I might continue the story as it gets quite comical ):

My co-worker went to a second shelter, made his application in a way to avoid the problems at the first animal shelter and got a dog.

In typical german fashion, he took a week off to stay at home with the dog and make sure the dog got through the stress of the new environment.

On his first day back to work, he received a call at 2:00 p.m. and left work in a big panic! Oma opened the door so she could go to the store and the dog bolted straight out and dissapeared over the horizon!

After two days of driving around his villiage and calling for the dog, he finally called the police. As luck would have it, the police HAD picked up the dog and taken it to an animal shelter - the one that had refused him a dog in the first place!

When he went to the shelter to pick up the dog, he saw the woman who refused his application doing different things in the back room - another mitarbeiter got the dog for him and he left the place as quickly as he could to avoid the woman seeing him! Classic laugh for all of us at work!

Good luck with getting a small dog from an animal shelter - this is what we too wanted to do.

Unfortunately (well, depends how you look at it - obviously "fortunately" for the dogs in question :D !) there are very few small dogs in the animal shelters, and those that do come in are (again, luckily for the dogs) rehomed pretty quick.

I spent ages looking for a dog-shelter dog, I really wanted us to give a home to a dog that needed it, but the shelters were all full of big dogs (way too big for us to even consider :( )

So we ended up with a puppy after all!

And lovely she is too :wub:

Also noticed that round here (Stuttgart area) there seemed to be an alarming number of Kampfhunde in the animal shelters, which are technically small but there was no way one of them was moving in!

:lol: That is funny mlovecan...

But i am a stay at home wife so I should not have that problem... I already have a yorkie mix pup.. well a dog she is going to turn 1 in march.. I am looking for a little buddy for her. I have been looking for another yorkie for her as a buddy but there is a LONG waiting list for females, So i figure why not adopt a small dog who really needs a home...

Neil sent me a link to a shelter and I have emailed them about a small dog they have.. but I am still waiting on my reply...

The only problem is Finding a shelter who can understand me . My german is not very good.

"I already have a yorkie mix pup.. well a dog she is going to turn 1 in march.. I am looking for a little buddy for her."

You probably do not want to mention the fact that you already have a dog - 50% chance they will think this is a great thing - 50% chance they will reject your application due to such logic as "you don't have room for more than one dog" or "you will not be able to give the dog enough attention during his stressful adjustment period".

You probably already know that decisions in this country often are made with very little flexibility, using logic that we non-germans find very difficult to understand or believe.

I would not think me having another dog out be a prob.. its not like I live in a APT or anything.. I live in a 3 bed house with a big yard.. well big for germany... and its just me and my hubby...

Hmm I dont now.. Germany is ODD...

that is crap, maybe they used that excuse as other things did`nt suit them!

Own house? garden? time at home for the dog? understanding german, in so much that you have to pay a donation? no money no dog! staying in germany long term?

If it was really just that your not german, then I feel a lawsuit brewing!

I am a stay at home wife, so I have a TONE of time. I will be here 3 yrs so.. I don't think how it can be anything else. I have a small Yorkie about the same size of the one I wanted to adopt but they didn't say it was because of my dog so.. I don't know..

We are renting a 3 bed house and its just me and my husband so I have TONES of room...

I just thinks its BULL.

I might just go back to buy a Yorkie, if they want to act like that.. I can't see how every one says adopt here but when you try to they wont let you for dumb reasons.

might just be that they have a shortage of dogs at the moment,

and if they give too many away, then they won`t have any,

and then they can`t go standing outside supermarkets begging for contributions and knocking on peoples doors, not to mention the odd couple of thousand left in old peoples wills and testaments here and there!

no animals, no animal shelter = no donations! no making money out of deserate animals!

Don`t get me wrong, they are offering a good service, but these places have better financial managers as local hospitals!

Olivia, Tell them that your thinking then of buying one! they won`t give a shite!

I just called the manager(he was not there, when I went yesterday) and he basically said have fun trying to buy one. Which made me EVEN MORE mad! ( They know my German suck..) but hey I got a car here cheap from a German. All you have to do is show them the money and they will sale to ya lol

hmmm Dose any one know of a breeder (here or the UK) ,that is not a pet shop, that sales Yorke's??? All I can find is the snow baby's (Biewer) and they start out at 3 to 4000.00.

I don't know about you but to me, that's a lot for a family dog.

If not I will waite till I go home in June and see what I can find...

Thanks for every ones Help!! I realdy do appreciate it. :)

I can't really understand their attitude, it seems very strange. I got our two cats from an animal shelter

and nationality wasn't an issue :wacko:

There is a Yorkshire breeder near you Here ...hope it works out.

Ok, the Shelter I called about a small dog ,that a person gave me off of here, wont let me adopt because I am not German... How Dumb Is That!?

My guess is that they think non-germans can't afford to take off the sufficient time to make sure the dog adequately gets over the stress of the big change ;)

Judging by the back-asswards logic I have seen in this place, doesn't surprise me one bit! With decisions made that way, I would not be at all surprised if they have 100 reasons why the dog would be better off being put down!

I`ve checked out our local animal shelter homepage! what a laugh!

Die Preise (Vermittlungsgebühr) hängen unter anderem von Alter, Rasse und Gesundheitszustand des Tieres ab. Hunde kosten etwa ab 155,- €
minimal 155 euros for a mongrel!

Darin enthalten sind alle Kosten für Impfung, Entwurmung sowie Kastration bei erwachsenen Katzen und die Implantation eines Microchips

dont know these costs, but probally another 100 or 2!

Bei Übernahme eines Tieres muss der neue Halter eine "Schutzgebühr" bezahlen. Diese soll deutlich machen, dass das Tier keinesfalls ein "Geschenk" ist,

Don`t quite get this one! a deposit?

So, in all I reckon that for a mongrel, thats a lot of dosh tosh!

Do they put the dogs (cats) to sleep, when they don`t get taken, after a certain time???

local animal money making center!

I just called the manager(he was not there, when I went yesterday) and he basically said have fun trying to buy one. Which made me EVEN MORE mad!

Maybe they find that people who aren't German are more likely to leave the country and may not be able to take the pet with them. You are renting a house and dont own it for example. I move to Germany in June I am currently in Spain and the amount of dogs and cats that are abandoned because people return to the U.K is huge. They cannot take them because of rabies laws and cant afford to pay for them to stay in a spanish kennel for 6 months ater their rabies test.. Either way the poor animal has to start over. Give the shelter workers a break - they are doing the best for the animals. To them you are a stranger who may not always stay in Germany. Im sure you would have given a lovely home - dont take it personally..the wellbeing of the dog and a home for life is the most important to them - as it should be!