Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Life in Frankfurt

34 posts in this topic

To be honest, a lot of people I talk to also think Frankfurt is ugly. Having been here for nearly 2.5 years I can see their point. However, parts of the city are lovely i.e Half of the Römer and the River Main in the summer. Before anyone says anything, I am quite content here in Frankfurt.

Frankfurt is great.

Some of the most beautiful parts of any city I've ever been to are in Frankfurt. London is a fucking shithole in comparison to Frankfurt. A shithole!

Crappy customer service? Yeah, sometimes, ...most of the time though I think it's pretty in ordnung...and I've had plenty of good service in Restuarants/cafes etc...from usually very pretty ladies...oh yes.

nah, Frankfurt for me out weighs ANY british city by a long shot.

For me the standard of life is better in Frankfurt than most cities in the UK. I think it's the freedom to do whatever that I enjoy the most.

For me the standard of life is better in Frankfurt than most cities in the UK

According to Mercer HR Consulting, the quality of living in Frankfurt is better than ALL cities in the UK... but not as high as Zurich. :P

That said, despite not being able to pay by credit card (whats's wrong with an EC card?), I haven't found people to be that rude at all. Unless of course you walk up to them and in a loud and patronising voice bawl "Do you speak English?" in which case they are quite within their rights to be rude to you.

In fact, I like Frankfurt so much I think I'll jump in my car at 4pm and drive the 422kms from Zurich to visit the Ford of the Franks for the weekend !!!

What´s wrong with an EC card?

If you use an EC card money is immediately taken from your account, if you use a credit card you have one month(with a German one ) of more (with English ones) to pay.

I get a lot of visitors from the USA and Australia, they always want to take us out for a meal, go shopping and expect Germany to be like the rest of the world and take credit cards for goods and in restaurants,

unfortunately this country is many years behind in this area. Yes I know that the Germans say if you can´t pay for it don´t buy it but most shops offer goods to be paid for over a couple of years and somebody must be taking advantage of this. I have travelled to many countries including some very poor ones and I have used my credit card everywhere but on return Germany it´s often a problem.

The reason is that the shopkeepers are too tight to pay the clearing fees.

Get a Barclaycard it works like a UK credit card and you also get an EC card that works that way too.

If you want rude shopkeepers go to Berlin! In comparision with Berlin, in Frankfurt they practically bend over backwards!

I live in Berlin and I totally agree with you, I've heard from all sorts of people, including Germans, that the worst city in Germany is Berlin and I believe it.

People in general look quite scruffy and bitter, they are extremely rude, always snapping for no reason, shoving, pushing...

As for the city, well, everywhere you look there's construction work going on, graffiti, beggars...

Customer service is non existant as shop keepers/assistants are always grumpy and insulted if you want to buy something from them, they don't take credit cards anywhere either, just cash or EC... Ufff... :wacko:

(though I did get the Barclaycard and it is very helpful!)

My husband constantly travels to Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich... and he tells me they are very smart cities and much more international than Berlin.

Berlin's internationality comes down to Kreuzberg's gigantic Turkish Community whereas cities like Hamburg or Frankfurt have more foreign 'professionals' or 'bussiness men'.

Anyway that's just what I've heard from different people, I've only been in Berlin and my husband thinks that is the reason why I don't enjoy living in Germany! -_-

get a lot of visitors from the USA and Australia, they always want to take us out for a meal, go shopping and expect Germany to be like the rest of the world and take credit cards for goods and in restaurants, unfortunately this country is many years behind in this area.

When we came on our honeymoon 20 some odd years ago we did like most people brought some cash and planned to do the rest on CC. Opps! big mistake, after running out of cash we walked around for several hours till we found a place that would accept CC so we could eat. The next day we managed to get a cash advance off our Visa Card from the local bank.

Even today when I ask about why they don`t accept CC they all give the same excuse, oh we have to pay 3% not realizing that people spend extra when buying with Credit. What I and alot of others that move here find really weird is that fact you have massive (good 200.000 sft some of them) furniture stores and little tiny grocery stores. I mean how often do you buy that dream couch compared to food shopping. Even wierder is they don`t sell electronics at this furniture stores.

A lot of the german retail scene is pretty weird. These strange supermarkets where your goods are shoved straight back into the supermarket trolley. No one to help you bag up. I know an asian supermarket here where they bag up your goods for you as they are being checked out. What a contrast in the german service wüste!

I live in Berlin and I totally agree with you, I've heard from all sorts of people, including Germans, that the worst city in Germany is Berlin and I believe it.

People in general look quite scruffy and bitter, they are extremely rude, always snapping for no reason, shoving, pushing...

As for the city, well, everywhere you look there's construction work going on, graffiti, beggars...

Customer service is non existant as shop keepers/assistants are always grumpy and insulted if you want to buy something from them, they don't take credit cards anywhere either, just cash or EC... Ufff...

(though I did get the Barclaycard and it is very helpful!)

My husband constantly travels to Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich... and he tells me they are very smart cities and much more international than Berlin.

Berlin's internationality comes down to Kreuzberg's gigantic Turkish Community whereas cities like Hamburg or Frankfurt have more foreign 'professionals' or 'bussiness men'.

Anyway that's just what I've heard from different people, I've only been in Berlin and my husband thinks that is the reason why I don't enjoy living in Germany!

It sounds like Berlin hasnt changed much since I moved away from the city some 7 years ago! I had 7 years of Berlin, including eastern Berlin, and thats enough to last a lifetime. All the things youve said could practically have come out of my mouth too! At the time coming straight from London and being niave "this is Germany, this is where its at", I thought Berlin *was* Germany. It was only when I had the chance to live in other places in Germany I realised a lot of what I thought was Germany was merely just Berlin.

Its a peculiar place, and it was even more so back in the 90s when West Berlin emerged from its sleeplike existence within the wall, and the eastern part was opened up. I kind of revelled in the peculiarness of it at the time, but it got me down at the finish and so I was more than happy to move away when the chance came. Now when I go back Im interested in how its developing, but Im always relieved to get back to western Germany. I dont think I could move back there in a hurry though (not that theres any reason to jobwise and with the state the Berlin economy is (still) in). I would just not be prepared to accept the rudery and the way people behave there any more. Ive seen and experienced better!

To find the nice areas around Frankfurt you have to outside of the city, where I live Langen is really beautiful, I'm 5 mins from the woods, wonderfull for running. Tanus is also nice. Personally I think Munich and Bavaria are one of the nicest areas in Germany but the weather really sucks cold wet damp winters and more rain than London. I think the gods punish anyone who lives there with bad weather and horrible traffic on the weekends. But its more than made up by the beautiful mountians.

To find the nice areas around Frankfurt you have to outside of the city, where I live Langen is really beautiful, I'm 5 mins from the woods, wonderfull for running. Tanus is also nice. Personally I think Munich and Bavaria are one of the nicest areas in Germany but the weather really sucks cold wet damp winters and more rain than London. I think the gods punish anyone who lives there with bad weather and horrible traffic on the weekends. But its more than made up by the beautiful mountians.

The discussion is about living in Frankfurt, right? Not about Frankfurt's countryside.

Of course, we all have different a perspective of what "nice" implies. To me "nice" is not merely environment/nature (one's view of the mountains, lake, and trees, per se), it's how the city looks/feels; it's the architecture, the mix of the new with the old, the variety of colours and contrasts ... the infrastructure, the diversity of people (rich/poor, black/white, young/old) and the feeling you get when you walk down the street, with the sun radiating on your face, the richness in the air, the sounds of birds chirping, people talking, and autos purring. That is city life!!!

Sorry, but I think most people who complain about crusty "city" life, are stuck in a big-city without choice, whether it be for work, or their partner's work ... really, most are content with a slower pace, living in the country-side, or rural townships. Nothing's wrong with that, I'm a farm-girl through & through ... but it's hard to compare apples with oranges.

Customer service is non existant as shop keepers/assistants are always grumpy and insulted if you want to buy something from them, they don't take credit cards anywhere either, just cash or EC... Ufff...

All in all, life is what you make out of it. If you expect a cashier to smile (and praise your good work for arranging your groceries to perfection), turn the tables, and smile yourself!!

we actually live about 15 mins outside of Frankfurt which I think is perfect, close enough for the convenience far enough away to avoid the hassles of city living.

All in all, life is what you make out of it.
I could not agree more!

I personally love Frankfurt when the sun is shining but it might not be everyones cup of tea.

The credit card thing does not bother me one little bit I hardly ever use mine anyway. I cannot really understand why people would want to pay for a meal in arestaurant with a credit card what is wrong with good old cash? The only time the credit card thing irritated me was in Saturn when I was paying over 1000€ for a washing machine and tumble dryer. I had to pay EC but the problem was at the time there was a limit on my EC card of 1000€ a week! It was an interesting purchase!

I now have many friends in Frankfurt and feel at home with them, even though they sometimes fall about in laughter at my terrible German. Never say the Germans have no sense of humour.

I feel exactly the same. And it is odd the Germans friends I still have in Bremen who I met when I first came to Germany still laugh at some of the mistakes I used to make. I always used to get Gesicht and Geschirr mixed up and they still find that funny to this day :doh: