Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Life in Frankfurt

34 posts in this topic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jht...0/ixportal.html

Reference to the fact that no one accepts credit cards in this backward stupid little town. No mention of how rude everyone is nor about the general ignorance of service. i.e. shopkeepers who think that they are there only for their own benefit and the customer is a rude intrusion into their sad little lives.

Rudeness is a continental thing, not just a Frankfurt thing. Ignorance of service is a German thing, not just a Frankfurt thing... Me reckons you simply having a hard time adjusting to Frankfurt. You should try not knock everything here because Frankfurt will only ever be as good as you make it to be.

Yeah, it has its bad points... but honestly, where in the world is everything sooooo perfect?

but honestly, where in the world is everything sooooo perfect?
Melbourne

Well then there's your answer, Go to Melbourne. Nobody is forcing you to stay here. I am so tired of people who moan constantly about being here. You have the power to change your life so that you are not so sodding miserable. If it stinks so badly here then leave.There are things about every place i've ever lived, (including here) that irritate the Hell out of me but if I let it bother me as much as life in Germany bothers you i'd be on Prozac permanently.

Get over yourself or buy a ticket to Australia and save us all from your whining.

Who's wining? I am merely stating the facts with a few adjectives thrown in for poetic effect. I like it here.

Well it doesn't sound like it. I don't understand why Frankfurt doesn't accept Credit cards when almost 80% of stores I frequent in Stuttgart do,

including supermarkets.

My whinge is that Ikea doesn't but that's probably a good thing and prevents me from having a house full of useless soft furnishings and trinkets!!!

I just love Frankfurt! So the shopkeepers are rude and you don't have the luxury of paying with plastic, get on with it ... life's too short, so stop complaining!! Geez, some people!!

I agree - we shouldn't be like the Germans...always complaining, but hell-what about a bit of customer service? I once had a friendly assistant, but immediately realised the big boss must have walked in-and that was the case.

Alright alright, I will. But don't you think that Frankfurt is ugly? I mean in a nice way, like how the run-down parts of Brooklyn can have a beauty about them. The people look weather-beaten and down, like they all come from some Siberian Kulag

Frankfurt is ugly, in some areas.

So is Melbourne.

I must admit I was rather disappointed with Melbourne when I visited the city last November. Most Australians who did not live there either say it is either a horrible place, or "you have to let Melbourne grow on you". Frankfurt is much the same, do you not think? I put my disappointment down to the cold weather we experienced there (13° in the summer) and the fact that the place seemed to be one great big building site which I reckon was simple preparation work for the commonwealth games this year.

One thing you have to say for the Australians though... they have no problems with credit cards, as long as they can easily get their hands on your hard earned dosh they dont really care ;)

I just love Frankfurt! So the shopkeepers are rude and you don't have the luxury of paying with plastic, get on with it ... life's too short, so stop complaining!! Geez, some people!!

If you want rude shopkeepers go to Berlin! In comparision with Berlin, in Frankfurt they practically bend over backwards!

As for credit cards, that has its advantage, at least it means its harder to get into debt. And you can pay with plastic - many places accept EC direct debit cards!

Other than a couple of nice areas, I think Frankfurt is one of the ugliest cities in Germany...

Just my opinion...especially after living in Munich for a while...

PS. Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion, or discontent with Frankfurt or Germany - afterall thats what this board is for or?

Other than a couple of nice areas, I think Frankfurt is one of the ugliest cities in Germany...

Just my opinion...especially after living in Munich for a while...

Bet you love that Bavarian Weißwurst too... :doh:

Alright alright, I will. But don't you think that Frankfurt is ugly? I mean in a nice way, like how the run-down parts of Brooklyn can have a beauty about them. The people look weather-beaten and down, like they all come from some Siberian Kulag

No, I think Frankfurt is beautiful ... esp. along the Main. What do you think is ugly about the city, where are the run-down areas (that you compare to Brooklyn)?

Umm, it is Feb., aren't we suppose to look all weather-beaten. Post your pic ... just so we know what non-weather beaters look like.

I didn't mean YOU look weather-beaten. And in no way am I making any judgements about anyone. I haven't got a photo but I can assure you I look pretty rough most of the time, even in summer.

Frankfurt generally looks pretty dishevelled IMHO. I know the skyscrapers look pretty at night and part of the river are OK. But generally it looks a little down-at-heel, tattered and seedy.

Ok now I know what you're going to say. Go somewhere else. And I am. Next Friday will be my last week in Frankfurt and I have to return to London, which is much less pretty in many parts but gloruiously beautiful in others. But is a whole lot bigger than frankfurt.

Melbourne, by the way, does not look at its best in winter but with a winter of 13 degress aint bad. And it has some very impressively ugly areas as well. But view the city from the coast, down towards Brighton or St. Kilda and it is beautiful.

Well I cant comment on Melbourne, having never been there, but I dont find Frankfurt all that bad. Compared to some cities in Belgium, eg Liege, Antwerp and Brussels its pretty smart. Also germans whove lived here for 10, 20 years or more tell me Frankfurt is now much smarter and better than it was back then. Most if not all of the bomb sites have been built on. In Antwerp you still see loads of bombsites, (where V1 and V2 rockets landed at the end of the war) some of them just filled in with a bodged ugly 1 or two storey 50s style building.

There are also many areas of Frankfurt which are very attractive, eg Bergen in Bergen-Enkheim ie up the hill, not the area below, parts of Ginnheim and up that way, parts of Nordend, Bornheim and of course Sachsenhausen, just to mention a few.

Dont forget this city, like most others in Germany was bombed to bits in WW2. So places like Melbourne dont have any excuse! The worst part of all I find are the absolutely hideous 50s/60s and in many cases also 70s buildings that were thrown up. Poignant example, those gruesome shoeboxes on the Römer Square. They should be torn down and replaced with something decent. Absolute eyesore!

Melbourne, by the way, does not look at its best in winter but with a winter of 13 degress aint bad

eh, Whizz, Upsidedown Land. Our winter is their summer. Therefore, 13° in their summer (albeit at the beginning of their summer) is pretty shite. Even by Irish summer standards ;)

Were you there in November or later? It doesn't sart to warm up until December or so. But 13 degrees does sond a bit cool even for November. Ii was there for what locals described as a crappy summer, close to the worst in living memory. But it was often 34 degrees and seemed pretty nice to me.

Late November. Muppet me & Mrs. Maisflocke only had a jumper to keep us warm. It was so cold we decided not to go on the Phillip Island penguin thingy. It was weird, because we experienced 25° in Sydney, and 28° in Adelaide (which was just right) ... but 13° in Melbourne at the beginning of summer... brrrrrrrrrr! The heat in Alice Springs & Cairns made up for the coldness of Melbourne. Alice was a shithole though. ;)

There are also many areas of Frankfurt which are very attractive, eg Bergen in Bergen-Enkheim ie up the hill, not the area below,

Oi you! I dont put your area of residence down do I ??!!??

Enkheim, although not as pretty as Bergen, is an awful lot nicer than a lot of Frankfurt areas :angry:

I quite liked Alice Springs, loved Adelaide and it´s surroundings. Sitting here in Bayern watching the snow coming down and freezing my ass off I would choose Melbourne at 13° over any German City.