Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travelling by car to Sweden

26 posts in this topic

We drove Berlin-Copenhagen last month, we were actually in Legoland Denmark and decided to go and visit Copenhagen driving over the Great Belt bridge. I only can say it was a fantastic drive. The toll on the bridge is not cheap though, and same with the one to Malmo.

From what I know, dj_jay_smith is correct, if your final destination is Sweden most people go via Helsingor.

Woo. It's a LONG drive. I hope you're not going alone. It'd be nice to share the driving.

If you're planning on stopping at places like Hamburg and Copenhagen, driving is the way to go. We drove from Amsterdam to Copenhagen to Helsingborg to Stockholm to Oslo to Skagen to Hamburg and back in 2008. In Copenhagen, you can park for free not too far from the city center (or at least you could in 2008 - we parked on Hørsholmsgade). In Stockholm, if you stay at the Vandrarhem (hostel) on Skeppsholmen, you can park there (on an island not far from EVERYTHING, with a view of old town right across the water). Oslo was trickier, but free parking was available I think. We parked near the cemetery where Munch is buried.

We took the Puttgarten-Rodby ferry because driving into Jutland added too much time for us. We then took the Oresund bridge and not the ferry. Just easier. I do tend to avoid ferries as much as possible, though. On the way back from Oslo, we took the night ferry from Kristiansand to Hirtshals in Denmark.

But, with all that driving, I'm not sure you'll get the most out of your trip if you try to visit ALL those places, especially if you want to see Western fjords in Norway. If anything, skip Hamburg because it's close enough to visit another time. Also, maybe skip Gothenburg too. But, to be honest, what would make most sense would be to forget Norway for now, go straight to Denmark and see the most important places you want there, then do Sweden, and then if you have time, do other places on the way back in Sweden, Denmark, and/or Germany.

Remember to always keep your headlights on in Scandinavia.

Hadn't realized I'd posted here...

I have a question. We're driving to Sweden in a converted MB Sprinter camper. It's not longer than a regular Sprinter; just taller. Would we pay the regular car toll for the Öresund bridge based on this price list: https://www.oresundsbron.com/en/prices ? Is the toll payable both ways? Finally, if I were to get a Bro pass, would that work immediately, or would I have to wait for something in the mail (we are crossing on Sunday or Monday).

Thanks.

Hah. Yeah, fat chance of that happening these days. Waze did everything for me, including tell me where the speed cameras were. Great.

We also withdrew ZERO cash in Sweden and Denmark. We even paid for a public toilet with a card. It was GREAT, though I miss handling pretty money after using drab euro notes for so long. First day back in Germany, and I couldn't use my Visa card at a pizzeria...

55 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

We also withdrew ZERO cash in Sweden and Denmark. We even paid for a public toilet with a card. It was GREAT, though I miss handling pretty money after using drab euro notes for so long. First day back in Germany, and I couldn't use my Visa card at a pizzeria...

I noticed that my Commerzbank didn't charge for using the card in shops/restaurants in Sweden

but did add 2.5% for every Danish transaction.

I assume the EUR:SEK rate filled in the missing charges - still I found it odd.