Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travelling by car to Sweden

26 posts in this topic

Looks like we are up for a car trip to Sweden. Seeing that there are so many well travelled people here, thought I'd ask if anyone has any helpful tips or experiences. We'd be getting a ferry from Kiel.

Don't drive through Poland and go the long way around the Baltic Sea.

Drive north and do a right turn at some point in Denmark.

ok, being geographically challenged and feeling way to lazy to look it up via Google :doh: is Kiel the ferry that takes you to the bottom of Denmark?

If so we have done this route - very cool, we then took the really neat bridge to Sweden.

Depending on where you live (we live in Frankfurt) count on about 13 hours to get to Malmo (includes ferry time) /driving via the bridge.

Love Sweden, looks exactly like northern Canada (Ontario) felt like I was home...ahhhhh

Chris

is Kiel the ferry that takes you to the bottom of Denmark

It's 10 years or more since I was regularly travelling to Sweden, but I don't think things have changed, the Kiel ferries travel directly to Sweden (to Malmö amongst other places). The ferry you're thinking of runs from a place called Puttgarden.

By the way, if you do go this route and drive up to Copenhagen, watch your speed! The police have a lot of civilian patrol cars doing speed control on this run, presumably because they do good business catching impatient Germans.

I believe the fastest way is actually not to take the ferry at all, but use the new Storrebelt Bridge connecting Jutland (mainland Denmark) with the islands Fyn and Sjealand (where Copenhagen is) and then the Oresund Bridge connecting Sjealand with Sweden.

I once drove this route from Frankfurt to Copenhagen, and it's a straight shot north and then a right turn after 90 minutes in Denmark. Dead easy.

The only exception is if you are in the east, in which case taking the ferry from Rostock is faster.

What a great bunch! Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. Nothing like having a bit of first hand information. Thanks also to Northern Lass.

There's also a ferry from Travemünde (Lübeck) to Trelleborg (south of Malmo)

http://www.ttline.de/ (Travemünde/Rostock - Trelleborg)

http://www.scandlines.de (Rostock-Trelleborg)

Now the A20's open it's only about an hour from Lübeck over to Rostock (c. 2 hours from Hamburg), and the Rostock-Trelleborg crossing is I think the shortest to Sweden (and cheapest, with Scandlines) so that may be the quickest route (it is for me at any rate, although last summer we went Sassnitz-Trelleborg and got a nice view of the cliffs on the coast of Rügen, but Sassnitz is a pain to get to even from Rostock!)

I'd also recommend driving all the way. When I go back to visit my friends in Denmark I can do FFM - Vejle in 6 hours (when no traffic) or 8 when normal. Add 2 hours to cross Fuenen and Sealand and then you'll be in Malmo.

If you're going to the northern part of Sweden the shortest drive is to drive to Frederikshavn and then sail to Gothenburg. If you're going to Stockholm, take a plane.

In Denmark the financially safe speeding limit is the official + 30. Any faster and you loose your license if your Danish (have no clue what they do with foreigners). Speed cameras no problem as they can't get your address, so the only thing you have to worry about is being pulled over.

Henrik

Hello everyone

I am considering driving from Hessen (Fulda) to Sweden for a 10-11day vacation.

When I type it in Google Maps, the quickest route takes me from Fulda to Hamburg to Puttgarden (which is 1hr east of Kiel), from where I take a Scandlines ferry to Rodby (Denmark), then drive through Denmark, and finally enter Sweden at Malmo...so only one ferry Puttgarden->Rodby.

The alternate route it shows is 1hr longer - takes me to Rostock Germany, then a ferry from Rostock to Gedser (Denmark), and from that point on, the same as the previous route.

It does not give me any option to go thru Kiel...

There are only 2 reasons why I am even considering driving as opposed to flying from Frankfurt - 1) "driving my car" option is probably around 250€ cheaper for the total travel cost, especially since I wont have to rent a car in Sweden and park my own car at the German airport, and 2) I can stopover for 2 days in Hamburg and tour it.

The help I am looking for from the folks on this forum is:

1. opinion on driving vs flying option

2. Is the Google-suggested route truly the quickest/easiest?

3. Any other comments/suggestions? I have 10-11 days for the trip, and I plan to go to Gotheburg, Stockholm and whatever else is in between, and may be Oslo, and may be do a fjord...

Thanks a bunch

In Denmark the financially safe speeding limit is the official + 30.

Henrik

I assume you mean kph, or is that in %? ;)

2. Is the Google-suggested route truly the quickest/easiest?

Google can't predict real traffic situation, but you can do the following:

1. Enable traffic information in Google maps at approximate time of your departure.

2. Look along both routes and chose the one which has less red and more green roads.

3. Also have a look at both routes on different days and different times.

4. Come to conclusion which route will less likely be busy and have traffic jams.

Any other comments/suggestions?

Research for P+R parking. Not only parking is expensive in Stockholm, there is a toll to enter city center. Better to park on outskirts and use subway/trams.

...It does not give me any option to go thru Kiel...

In Google maps you can add places between your start and destination. Adding Kiel between Fulda and Gothenburg gives a 1207km route and a predicted travel time of 11 hrs 4 mins.

Another way to force Google maps to look at the land route is to click on route options and select "Ferry" in the "Avoid" list. That gives a 1180Km, 10h 46min route.

Comparing those with the Puttgarten route (1034Km , 10hrs 27mins) or the Rostock route (1162Km, 12hrs 18 mins) it seems that Google maps has chosen to show you shorter distance routes not shorter travel time.

It may be as simple as that - Google's automatic route finding rules may simply prefer to show routes with shorter distances.

Regarding "Any other comments/suggestions?". All the above routes pass close to Copenhagen. The city is well worth a visit.

Ferry schedules are sort of critical as well. Will you conveniently arrive just before one leaves, or 2 hours before the next one arrives?

Research for P+R parking. Not only parking is expensive in Stockholm, there is a toll to enter city center. Better to park on outskirts and use subway/trams.

The toll is only for cars registered in Sweden. No toll for foreign cars.

Could still be a good advise though. Parking is expensive and/or hard to find. Note that parking tickets are VERY high and most ticketing is done by private companies and they will find you through German collectors. So in general, pay the parking fees!

Parking in the city or not actually depends on a lot of things. How long you stay and where you stay and...

Fastest route is typically the one over Puttgarden-Roedby and then the bridge between Copenhagen and Malmö.

You can completely avoid ferries if you go through Jylland and take the bridges over to Sjaelland. It's a bit slower (30 minutes or so) but you avoid any ferry queues.

Even though I prefer to sail everywhere...

Consider staying on the A7 through Hamburg (Elbe tunnel) and on directly into Denmark.

You can then turn east (that a right turn) and take the bridges

across the "belts" and until you get to Copenhagen.

From there Malmö is across the bridge.

Gothenburg is then "up north".

Stockholm is the other side of Sweden (east coast).

Oslo is of course lots further north of Gothenburg and in another country :-)

Kiel (80Km north of Hamburg A7 / A215) has a ferry to Gothenburg

and another (colour line) going to Oslo.

Can't really give any recommendations - as I see this as a horses for courses thing...

Long ferry cost more - but you get a good nights sleep.

Unless you can't face a ferry ride.

One person in a car doesn't cost a lot - but 4 in a car (plus cabins)

changes the equation.

The view from the bridge over the Great Belt is spectacular.

Unless it's foggy of course.

Then there are those who don't like the bridge because they get giddy

going so high

Parking and speeding fines in DK / NO / SE are

1) very expensive

2) tracked back into Germany!!!

eg - EUR 80 for not buying a parking ticket at the machine

You're going to be travelling thousands of Km

so check out roadworks - and get enough rest...

I wouldn't get hung up on particular roadworks though :

Hamburg tunnel is notorious Monday morning and Saturday mornings ("bedchange day in DK")

But midnights in the week are not bad.

But for the next 10 yrs they are going to be "working" on the A7 north of HH.

So take your patience pills

50Km after leaving the Autobahn, the driving gets sooooo relaxed (IMHO)

HTH

I thought that most people take the ferry from Helsingor <-> Helsingborg when travelling between Denmark and Sweden?

Also don't forget that you have to pay a toll to cross Øresund link. http://uk.oresundsbron.com/page/948 And at 21 Euros each way, its not cheap. But of course a ferry is not free either!