Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A few questions

16 posts in this topic

I have been looking through the board, so apologies if I have missed topics that may have already covered these, but would be greatful if anyone would be willing to help.

I have reached the next level of interviews for a position in Frankfurt, so the possibility exists of a move there.

I would be looking to rent a place, and then to rent out my own home in the UK. So my first question is about UK tax really, would the UK government only take into account earnings in the UK (ie the house rent) and tax that if applicable, or do they also have a hold over what I earn wherever I am?

I have 2 children with my ex-wife, who, after many years of amicable maintenance payments, got with a guy who is determined to Leech from me and persuaded her to go to the CSA. If I am in Germany, under German laws and legislation, would I be able to go back to my voluntary payments, or again, does the CSA have any jurisdiction?

Schooling, I have 2 children that would be coming with me, aged 2 and 3. Are the International Kindergartens reasonably priced? And what sort of balance between German Language and English Language do they tend to provide?

I have a right hand drive Alfa, I guess I would need to register this ASAP as I won't be in a position (I don't think) to sell it immediately - Is insurance reasonable for RHD?

I will probably think of more later, but would be really greatful if anyone could offer any help :D

Thanks

Hello Dave,

Your rent on the UK property will be liable for income tax. Whatever letting agent you go through is obliged to deduct tax unless you fill in a form NRL1

You are only eligible for tax on any profit you make above paying the interest on any mortgage. And standard tax limits apply, eg your first £4330 or whatever is tax free...

I have been trying to sort out the car thing too. It seems it will be expensive to insure here, although I have found that if you use CIS insurance (in the UK) they will give you full cover whilst abroad, for an unlimited period with no extra cost. Although they aren't the cheapest anyway. My current company Zurich would only give full cover for a max of 60 days per year and wanted extra for this. As standard though they have to provide the legal minimum of cover throughout europe. My car has been here for 4 months now so I am expecting grief soon if this 6 month rule applies, although I intend to take it back to the UK to sell as soon as I find the enthusiasm to do so!

Hope this is all correct and helps.

Joe

must you not re-register your car here within a 6 month period? will the German strassenverkehrsamt accept UK Insurance?

Thanks for the quick replies - I was under the impression that if I kept the RHD car that I would need to register it over there anyway.

What is the credit situation like? Lets say I sell the car before I get there, what are the chances of purchasing a vehicle on finance when I have only just gotten there?...see I knew I would have other questions

I never had CSA involved in payment to my ex - they wanted to be, but we managed to keep it amicable and she never gave them my forwarding address.

In any case, I heard that if absent parents are not "habitually resident" (= live permanently away from UK) the CSA has no jurisdiction. This would have been my response had they ever found me.

Hello Dave,

I was just thinking about your kids and wondered whether it might be easier for you to get a Kindermädchen (nanny) to look after them until they are a bit older. Can't speak to the costs though. Kindergarten is usually only half a day and only take them once they are dry. I suppose there must be other kinders that take younger kids, maybe a Krippe. Perhaps there are some others who can address that part of Dave's enquiry. International "anything" is usually expensive. I am not up with prices of local Kindergartens but they used to charge you based on what you earn. You will find that they are run either by the Church or by the Arbeitwohlfahrt (charitable organization - non-religious) or private Kindergartens often run by the parents. In the bigger cities you will probably find Kindergartens run by the city.

Hi Dave,

We got a letter from the CSA to say that as my partner had moved to Germany the case was closed! Never heard anything from them since.

Thanks Tue, I thought that would be the case. I just want to get back to a fair amount that encompasses genuine (not luxury) outgoings rather than the "you will pay xyz regardless" situation...

Just remembered something my Dad mentioned.

Taxation, myself and my partner are not married, but have been together for 8 years and have 2 children.

My dad used to work in the British Embassy in Berlin, and he seems to think that the German authorities are amenable to lowering the tax for a couple in our situation.

Does anyone know about this? Would be excellent if that were the case.

We are planning on marriage in the future, but clearly, "Marry Me Darling, I want to pay less tax" wouldn't be the best proposal in the world... ;)

Hallo!

Could be wrong but I remember my friends saying that Germany does not recognize "common law" relationship, but correct me if I am wrong.

Chris

No, common law relationships are not reconized! my mate still pays the highest tax, and he`s been with his "misses" 24 years. (stubben chap you see)

BUT you can get the kids on your tax, when these are your girlfriends kids, and her ex is not claiming taxes for them. you just have to "Adopt" them :doh: .

sure someone on here can explain that one.

SORRY! just read again, that the kids are yours.

then forget adopting them :wacko:

just means they will be accepted and your tax payments will be reduced

We are planning on marriage in the future, but clearly, "Marry Me Darling, I want to pay less tax" wouldn't be the best proposal in the world...

worked for us!

love at first sight (of me tax deductions) :wub:

If you're both working and earning similar amounts then getting married doesn't make much difference. If one earns a lot more than the other then it does make a difference. Also, it is hard to get an unmarried partner covered by health insurance if one of you isn't working. If you are planning to get married anyway then there may be financial reasons to go ahead and do it.

You can get the car registered here but you will need to get the insurance arranged with a German company. It is a lot of effort and costs a bit. It's usually better to just sell the uk car and buy another one here if you are planning to stay a while.

German kindergartens are open to kids from 3 years of age. The cost is means tested (maximum about €150 per month). International ones are pricey and if you want your kids to learn german they will do this more easily with german kids around them. Some german kindergartens do take kids from 7.30 until 4.00 if both parent are working but these are the hardest places to get.

Read threads on Anmeldung, Church tax, Health Insurance and Getting Married in Germany.

The CSA cannot work on cases where the absent parent lives outside the UK. They only have jurisdiction within the UK. Was something I had to find out too.

You can get the car registered here but you will need to get the insurance arranged with a German company. It is a lot of effort and costs a bit. It's usually better to just sell the uk car and buy another one here if you are planning to stay a while.

I agree with rebecca.. Also bear in mind that selling it here would be harder than in the UK, so you will probably end up wanting to go through the hassle of re-registering it in the UK later.

I know someone who has had a French car here for over a year without re-registering, luckily he hasn't upset any of his neighbours and no-one has reported him yet. I am not sure how severe the penalties are, but even if they don't fine you, for sure they will make you either re-register it or remove it from Germany immediately - if anyone does report it. (which apparently is quite common as many Germans know the rules and like to see them followed)

Good luck for the job!

Neil...