Tramp Stores: Aldi vs. Lidl vs. your local grocery store

83 posts in this topic

I think the biggest reason why you dont find the right food is that you maybe think that it must be in a supermarket.

The germans only go to Aldi, Lidl etc when they need conserves or frozen food. But nobody would buy vegetables in this supermarkets except of people who dont know where to get the best food.

Go to your local 'Tante Emma and Genueselaeden' to find evereything you need for a healthy cooking. Or if not. Then spend some more Euros and go to Mini Mal. It is quite expensive but better than Aldi, Lidl, etc.

And don't take the meat which is packaged in the supermarket. This is the poor quality meat which you better know as 'Gammelfleisch'. Everybody knows that. I have never bought packaged meat in a supermarket. Go to the 'Frischtheke' in a supermarket to make sure that you get meat from the same day or even better go to a butcher.

I remember that approx 15 years ago everybody who wants to buy food has had to drive to different stores e.g. bakery, butcher, vegetable dealer etc. That means nobody was used to go to a supermarket. I think this has been the best and healthiest times ever.

By the way:

There was an article on the GMX Homepage that the eating behaviours in the UK are worst in the whole EU. The main reason is that most of the people in UK dont have the time to cook. The just grap some Fast Food. I think stores like Tesco help this people to get fatter. Unbelievable. Fast Food and ready meals in the whole store.

So in my case. I find it very hard to find healthy food in UK. ALL I can find is sandwich bread and packaged meat and ready meals. And to be honest. The butchers here seems to be not very clean.

Different cultures...different eating behaviours...different places where to find high quality food. I am sure that I will find out where to buy quality food in UK.

I personally hate going to Lidl at all but my German husband insists that Lidl is where German people buy all their stuff because is cheap and great quality! :blink:

Frankly the stuff they sell in there I'd be afraid to feed it to my pets! I do all my shopping in Kaisers when I'm in a hurry but prefer Kardstadt because they sell some American/English stuff sometimes. Next to Kardstadt there's a health food shop where apart from organic seeds/cereals all they have in terms of meals are cubes of tofu with this or that flavour, frankly a choice between a bowl of musli or a fried cube of tofu is not that appealing.

Most of my grocery shopping I do online from an expat website delivering British food/medicines/magazines I'd be lost without it because it comes in handy when you could kill for a tikka massala or a pie or when I catch a cold and I'm too ill to even get up but I have to go all the way to the doctor, wait for hours in the waiting room catching new bugs from everyone else in the room so I can get a prescrption to buy a cold medicine in the chemist.

What I love about London is the choice, people actually not been told what the have to eat but having all the options available to decide for themselves.

If you want comfort food, you have it, if you want quick meals, you have it, if you want healthy food you have it. It is up to each person to decide the lifestyle they want to have.

By the way in London at least in my neighbourhood (Muswell Hill) there where 4 health food shops only in my street and a Marks & Sparks where I think the food is of excelent quality and variety, they have a great range of healthy food and especialized food (organic, fat free, gluten free, dairy free, nuts free, wheat free,etc.). Waitrose is also of great quality but Marks and Spencer is even better.

Nothing like being able to do ALL your shopping, from knickers to lunch in one shop! ^_^

I didn't use to shop in Lidl because I was too snobby and only used to shop in Walmart. I have now changed my habits, I still won't shop in Aldi but do shop in Lidl, I can't spend so much money there either because the choice isn't so wide! :lol: I usually buy named brands in Lidl (which are cheaper to buy there) and some of their own products, the other things I get in Walmart. Fresh veg etc I usually buy in a Turkish greengrocers.

Diana, I think your fears about Lidl are unfounded, I shop at Lidl every week (they are all over UK too now)

and even their fruit and veg is on the whole good (much better than Aldi) but I think it varies from

shop to shop, our local Lidl even has fresh Thai ingredients like lemon-grass, Galangal, chillies and

fresh green pepper. Ok you don't get the choice you get in UK supermakets, ...but you get used to that :rolleyes:

I don't know if there's any difference between Aldi North and South in this respect, but up our way the veg (except for potatoes for some reason which are almost always pretty awful) in Aldi is usually better than Lidl's. Aldi also seem to have faster turnover which means if you come to late, you may not have much choice, but at least what is there is pretty fresh.

In Hagen and Wetter we have Aldi Nord but I find Aldi Süd better. I can't comment on the fruit and veg but am not very impressed with the quality we have in the ones round here.

I think Aldi Sud are pretty good here in the Stuttgart area. We have a fair selection of decent fruit and veg (alright it's basic, apples oranges and grapes, nothing exotic) but you have to get there shortly after they open for the best choice. Ours has fresh bread delivered daily too. As far as big supermarkets go we have a big Real so I shop there and a really nice mid sized Edeka which has a great choice of stuff. For the most part I go into Stuttgart on Saturday morning and shop at the Market for my vegetables, most are grown locally and are extremely fresh although a little more costly but I feel it's worth it. In the Markthalle there is plenty of 'international' choice and some great Italian delis with a brilliant choice of cheeses and meat. Aldi/Lidl and Penny are great for pasta. You can't beat 29 cents for a bag of penne or spaghetti. I suppose I am lucky that I have the time to go to more than one shop and get the best bargains. If I had to I guess I would go to Real and do it all under one roof.

I used to shop in Lidl back in the UK but that was mainly to feed my zigeuner sauce addiction as the fresh produce was awful, and I never went to Aldi (terrible place) so I was quite surprised when I ventured into one over here. Thought the range of fresh produce was quite good, that said I do tend to only go to there for basics i.e. tinned tomatoes, so have only been a few times to stock up. Was also quite surprised that everyone shops in Aldi as well.

Normally shop in MiniMal, although I am spoilt down here as we have Migros the Swiss supermarket, which is brill but can be a bit pricey so I only go there if I feeling flush. The local market is also very good, but I'm not particularly fond of shopping so I would rather go to one place and do it all at the same time - oh how I miss Tesco's!

I've never been to an Aldi in GB - strangely enough it's Aldi Süd that's taken over GB. My mum shops in Lidl which really surprised me because she's as snobby as me! :$ Two years ago hubbi complained because he was looking forward to British products for breakfast and what did he get? The same cold meats etc that he knows from Lidl here! Last year my mum did buy him the Morrison / Tesco's equivalent and he was much happier! :lol:

When we were in Bournemouth last year we decided to go into a Lidl to see what was on offer and we were pleasantly surprised to see that they had some British products like cheese and onion pies and crisps etc. Hubbi said any Brit who didn't buy his beer there was stupid because they had Stella very reasonably priced.

I know both of them very well, I usually shop in NORMA, as it is better to get to, but I do also use ALDI. LIDL is definately the better shop, but I don't have one near, so thats why I use NORMA.

In the UK, there is an ALDI and a LIDL in the same town where my folks live, and most people say that LIDL ist better there too. LIDL have longer opening times, and are even open on a sunday. ALDI close early and do not participate in Sunday shopping.

I have never had any probs with the greens at ALDI LIDL NORMA they are cheaper than the Tante Emma Laden, and for people on a tight budget like me its OK. If I need anything special, I go to REAL or EDEKA.

( Hi Nicole.. )

Slowly but surely Germany are stepping into the 21st Century. Vouchers, 3 for 2 and even a bogof now and then. Maybe we will even be able to go shopping on a sunday in the future...

Well, I guess it certainly depends on the area you live in. The quality and size of the stores varies quite a lot.

For example, although I live in Berlin, being the capital and all, and in Charlottenburg, one of the good neighbourhoods in the city, I think there's not a lot of choice in my area.

All the shops you have mentioned sound ok but here in Berlin I have never seen or heard of: Aldi Nord, Aldi Süd, Real, Edeka, MiniMal, Migros, Norma or Tante Emma and Genueselaeden.

There's a normal very tiny Aldi (Not South or North) but all the people I know say that Aldi is more expensive than Lidl but of worse quality and I think they are right.

Then there's a Lidl the size of any corner shop in London where everyone in the surrounding areas come to buy but there's never any room to even walk around the shop what with the people shopping and the staff with their little carts/trolleys unpacking stuff, besides the choice is very reduced.

I bought my groceries there in the beggining but got ill twice after eating their pizzas, my husband used to defend them but after a while he started now saying that the meat there isn't very good as well as some other stuff and now we only buy stuff like toilet paper and kitchen napkins.

The other choice around is a tiny Kaisers where yes, the quality is ok, only they are a lot more expensive but I feel better buying there as the brands they sell are more international rather than the 'oscure' brands I see in Lidl.

Now a much better option for me to buy food is Karstadt, they often have loads of imported goods from America or England, great quality and lots of fresh meat, vegs, exotic fruits, etc. but still is no Marks and Spencer even when the prices aren't too disimilar.

Of course the very best option for me would be buying all my shopping at KaDeWe where there's plenty of good stuff but it cost you the shirt of your back.

There's only one Walmart in Berlin, in Neukolln, for me it means 2 changes in the U-Bahn and a trip of an hour and a half to get there and the same to come back home but now carrying all my shopping.

I used to shop only there but it got tiring, so although I LOVE Walmart I only go there in 'special occasions' now.

Oh how I miss Tesco's, Sainbury's, Morrisons and Marks And Spencer at Christmas, they are everywhere, they open sundays, they sell everything and they even deliver at home if you shop online which is what I was used to do.

Wouldn't it be great if they did the same here? Even better given that the UK has apparently so many branches of Lidl over there, Why can they open branches of some English chains over here? (only dreaming) :wub:

The main reason is that most of the people in UK dont have the time to cook.

Yes but I think people just use it as a pathetic excuse!!!

I would probably have just as much or little time if I were living and working in the UK. I work full time and have a million hobbies along with going to the gym 3 times a week and I still manage to cook for myself and never touch a ready meal. I think it is just down to laziness!

Granted my idea of cooking is salad out of the bag and onto the plate served with a salmon filet grilled in the George Foreman but I don't think it takes too long to rustle up a nice healthy dinner!

I also find the quality of fruit and vegetables better in Aldi than Lidl. It is ok for basics such as bananas and lettuces but if I want something a bit more special I go to the Turkish shop!

There's a normal very tiny Aldi (Not South or North)

If I remember correctly, Aldi Süd has the "Süd" in the shop name, whereas Aldi Nord just has "Aldi". In Berlin, as you might expect, it's Aldi Nord. The boundary seems to lie somewhere around Duisburg/Essen where you can find both within a few km of each other.

I've come across a Woolworths in Hamburg and Woolworths have a huge regional distribution style warehouse that can be seen from the autobahn near Hamm (BAB2 AS Bönen). I thought that there must be other Woolies about but have never seen them here in Germany, has anyone else seen or shop in Wollworths here?

I think the biggest reason why you dont find the right food is that you maybe think that it must be in a supermarket.

The germans only go to Aldi, Lidl etc when they need conserves or frozen food. But nobody would buy vegetables in this supermarkets except of people who dont know where to get the best food.

Go to your local 'Tante Emma and Genueselaeden' to find evereything you need for a healthy cooking. Or if not. Then spend some more Euros and go to Mini Mal. It is quite expensive but better than Aldi, Lidl, etc.

Hi Jumbes - if you compare, for example, Potatoes and Brocolli from Aldi to those from MiniMal, the quality of the Aldi vegetables usually outshine the MiniMal ones...

To suggest that people don't know where to get the best food go to Aldi is a wee bit narrow minded - Aldi gets put down too much, despite the fact that their own-branded goods are actually manufactured by the very same companies that fill the shelves of all other supermarkets including MiniMal.

:(

has anyone else seen or shop in Wollworths here?

There is or was a Woolies in Pforzheim - YamYam - is it still there ??? :wacko:

There is or was a Woolies in Pforzheim - YamYam - is it still there ???

There's one in Frankfurt along the Zeil

The missus has startde on a bit of a 'bio' and 'öko' kick so I keep finding myself being dragged around Alnatura and Teegut supermarkets now.

There's a Woolies in the Ring-Center in Offenbach and I remember seeing one in Cologne. It's got a bit of a bad reputation in Germany as being a bit of a cheapo place where only foreigners do their shopping.

For some reason, Aldi (another cheapo place where only foreigners do their shopping) has got a much better reputation, probably cos it's socially acceptable for middle class Germans to go there too.

Ben

PS: Check out how German pronounce the name - something like "Voll varth"

Slowly but surely Germany are stepping into the 21st Century. Vouchers, 3 for 2 and even a bogof now and then.

Are you really sure that this is an advantage? Think about that. This is a marketing trick. When they offer you 3 for 2 you think you get one for less. But thats not true. You are still paying the price they calculated for one product. That means: When you go shopping you definitely know that you only need one Pizza. But you will buy another one even if you dont need it. They penalize you when you not buy the amount of products they are expecting you to buy in paying more money for just buying one Pizza. :angry:

At the end the producer will have a bigger revenue and you will have the feeling to save a lot of money. :o

I think that a customer should decide by his own what he wants to buy.