Temporary driving a German registered car in the USA

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

It looks like that we are going to spend 5 months in the US so we are thinking of options for a car overthere.

We are US citizens residing in Germany. Wife's company offered her to be in the US for a 5 months long assignment.

They will cover some expenses and some not. They would cover 3k for freight (each way), probably taxable in Germany with 42.5% rate, so effectively that would be some 1.700 EUR . Still not sure about the car so we are thinking about sending our car from Germany to the US and back once the assignment is finished.

Questions are:

- Is a US citizen allowed to drive a foreign car. It would be for 5 months. I would not register it there since we would take it back yo Germany once we are done.

- Do we need extra insurance or our wgv from Germany would be enough?

- Would gasoline or diesel in the US work for a car made for German market?

- Any recommendations on shipping company?

Thanks.

If you are American, wouldn´t it be easier to pick up a little "run-around" for your time there, and sell it again when you leave?

Dunno what you drive here, or if you put much priority into driving a certain type of vehicle, but it would surely be the easiest way to solve this one!

56 minutes ago, Nixon said:

Hello,

It looks like that we are going to spend 5 months in the US so we are thinking of options for a car overthere.

We are US citizens residing in Germany. Wife's company offered her to be in the US for a 5 months long assignment.

They will cover some expenses and some not. They would cover 3k for freight (each way), probably taxable in Germany with 42.5% rate, so effectively that would be some 1.700 EUR . Still not sure about the car so we are thinking about sending our car from Germany to the US and back once the assignment is finished.

Questions are:

- Is a US citizen allowed to drive a foreign car. It would be for 5 months. I would not register it there since we would take it back yo Germany once we are done.

Thanks.

Surely you would be better asking on an American forum? No offence intended.

A quick search dies throw up possible issues- 

- which European cars can be imported. And no idea whether your plan does mean you are importing it.

- age of car, any necessary adjustments

- registration needed?? Within 3 months.

-insurance needed for transport and in US

Suggest you search using Google- US government websites

Also contact a shipping company who have experience of Atlantic crossings.

I think Robinson's idea is the most practical.

And John g's idea of asking in US forum is good. Even ask on TT US military thread here- some US people might know.

A good place to start is the U.S. Customs and Border Protection webpage for importing a motor vehicle.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

There are provisions for bringing vehicles with foreign registration into the U.S. for up to one year, but the process might be more complex since you are U.S. citizens.

For five months, I would not bother with importing and would look for car rentals that offer monthly rates.  Depending on your current insurance, you might be covered for liability on the U.S. rental.

I think any information on the U.S. Military forum here would be one-way importing.

10 hours ago, john g. said:

Surely you would be better asking on an American forum? No offence intended.

Would an American forum know about German cars in the US though? There are probably enough Americans on here to be able to answer that question.

11 hours ago, Nixon said:

- Yes, a US citizen is allowed to drive a EU registered car in the US, assuming that the registration is in your name.  Having both a German and US driving license is helpful, but not necessary.  You're simply on and extended holiday.  You might want to have the registration translated into English.  Doesn't need to be official.  Just something to help in the event you're stopped by the police, so they'll better understand the information.  On that, I would recommend using caution in smaller towns.  The odd small town police or county deputy is most like not going to understand how a US citizen owns a car with German license plates and a German driving license.  The German license plates alone will raise the occasional eyebrow, especially in more rural areas.

- Insurance.  Your insurance carrier would be the one to answer this.

- Diesel and petrol in the US will work in any car.

- Shipping.  No idea, but why not do the Europe to US cruise that one can ship a car on?  Back in the 1980s and 90s, US Dept of Defense employees did this often at government expense.  Would be a wee more expensive than flying and of course take longer, but when you arrive you simply drive away after a quick inspection.  The cruise alone might prove fun.

Hello and thank you all on your info.

Seeing how little info is on this topic is available tells me that it can have multiple issues.

Having a runaround was the first idea that came up to me, but knowing how bad on selling stuff I am pushed me to this other one. I don't have a problem with a type of a car that I would drive, a 4 seater is fine. However, there is always something that comes up with a car that is cheap and you don't have time to deal with it in a situation like this.

Rentals nowdays are really expensive. I will check on monthly rates too.

Thanks again.