Tax Filling Complications and Uncertainty (Requesting Guidance)

7 posts in this topic

Dear Community Members, 

I hope you all are well. I did read one old thread regarding tax returns and I am not sure if it answers all my questions specifically so pardon me for initiating another topic. 

I basically come from Pakistan I am a working professional and living near to Stuttgart, I came to Germany in Nov-2021 and now I want to file my tax details in hope to get something in return, but for an expat it is little difficult to start with.

I am married with no kids my wife is in Pakistan but I am taking care of her expenses. (what tax class I should fall in is not clear)

I am also supporting my parents both are not working my father has retired. (but to support house hold I send money to my brother's account on monthly basis, who then hands over the cash to them , I am not sure if i was suppose to send money directly to my parents but they are heart patients and we just try to support them in every possible manner)

From May-22 to mid Oct-22 I did not have the job so the last year was very hard on me and my family financially, I am still paying back the loan which I took during these months in order to give rent and have a minimal living cost. Can that detail be any helpful in order to request for the relaxation in tax if possible?

Lastly I am trying to find someone who could take this all up, I have all the documents and receipts, So can you suggest me a good tax agent who can help me in filling for tax returns? 

Thanks and regards,

Fahad Farooq 

Hello,

There are some tax advisors pinned to the top of the following forum: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/forum/181-finance/

A professional tax return will cost you a few hundred Euro. That's potentially more than you are likely to receive back from the tax office.

There are also some cheaper options available that have an English interface, but perhaps won't be able to advise you on your specific scenario:

https://germantaxes.de/

https://taxfix.de/en/

My husband and I have regularly used a Lohnsteuerverein.  They are not too expensive and we have always got a decent amount of money back, so was always worth it.  We used a regular tax advisor for the first couple of years but feel the Lohnsteuerverein has generally done a better job.

If your wife lives outside the EU your tax class is 1, like unmarried tax payers.

In contrast to childcare expenses made inside Germany, sending money abroad to family is not tax deductible. Neither is paying rent while not employed (no home office deduction, not that it's all that much anyway).

Bottomline, I agree with @almafreya that it's unlikely you'll get much of a refund, if any.

Supporting your family abroad can be tax deductible (up to 8.004 Euro a year), but you have to submit a lot of paperwork to prove that they really need your support, are not able to work (e.g. are old, handicapped, caring for a child), and that you really have sent the money to your relatives. I'd suggest a Lohnsteuerverein as well.