Working in UK while being permanent resident of Germany

26 posts in this topic

Hello, 

 

I am a permanent resident of Germany. I want to know what will happen if I start working in UK ? Will my permanent residency be cancelled after working 6 months in UK? And, how will be the tax issues? If i get a good job in UK, how should i organise the residency status ?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First things first, since brexit your German residency alone will not qualify you to live and work in the UK. Are you a British citizen or do you have a work permit for the UK?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not british citizen. If the employer helps me for work permit for UK, I can work there. right ? in that case, what will happen to my german PR ?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It very much depends ....

 

Only certain professions are allowed to work in the UK, low skilled work is not a good enough reason to get a UK job.

No criminal record

The employer wants you to come.

 

Do you have a blue card ?

I not sure but I would think, once you leave Germany for a period of time the  permanent resident of Germany  will expire, unless you get an EU passport or blue card.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Imra said:

If the employer helps me for work permit for UK, I can work there. right ?

Sadly not that straight forward. Your employer has to have a licence to employ non-UK/Irish nationals, show they have tried to hire your role in the UK first, and then you can apply for a visa. It takes a bit of time and is an expensive process these days...for example, there's now an NHS surcharge of almost £4k to pay for each individual wanting to get there, in addition to the visa application fee.  

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yesterday said:

It very much depends ...

 

Only certain professions are allowed to work in the UK, low skilled work is not a good enough reason to get a UK job.

No criminal record

The employer wants you to come.

 

Do you have a blue card ?

I not sure but I would think, once you leave Germany for a period of time the  permanent resident of Germany  will expire, unless you get an EU passport or blue card.

I am a software engineer and I had blue card for long time. Now I got permanent residency. 

The job I am talking about is a UK government job. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dstanners said:

Sadly not that straight forward. Your employer has to have a licence to employ non-UK/Irish nationals, show they have tried to hire your role in the UK first, and then you can apply for a visa. It takes a bit of time and is an expensive process these days...for example, there's now an NHS surcharge of almost £4k to pay for each individual wanting to get there, in addition to the visa application fee.  

 

What if the employer is a UK government agency ?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dstanners said:

The nationality rules for working for the UK government are even stricter. You can check your status via the following link (although note most of the comments about EEA nationals are relevant to people who qualify for the European Settlement Scheme - i.e. they were in the UK by 2021):

Civil Service Nationality Rules (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Thank you. But what will happen to my German permanent residency ? Will it be cancelled if I work in the UK ?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

 

It is spam and has been reported.

Yes there seems to be a lot of it about since the new year I have been seeing it on various other forums as well, both new and old possibly hacked accounts posting all kinds of different spam. There is another that has resurrected the "Where to buy a massage table -Berlin" thread. :angry:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2023, 11:18:14, Imra said:

what will happen to my German permanent residency ? Will it be cancelled if I work in the UK ?

 

But if you work in the UK, where will you physically reside, UK or Germany?

And if you reside in the UK, why would you bother to keep perm. residency in Germany, just in case one day you want to come back? 

And if you continue to reside in Germany after starting the UK work, my guess (probably wrong) is that the perm. residency will continue as it should no longer linked to your work status.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you searched for answers? A quick Google produced many eg from Berlin.de Landesamt für Einwanderung:

Niederlassungserlaubnis

  • Eine Niederlassungserlaubnis erlischt ab 6 Monaten nach der Ausreise aus Deutschland.
  • Eine Niederlassungserlaubnis erlischt ab 12 Monaten nach der Ausreise aus Deutschland
    • wenn der Ausländer das 60. Lebensjahr vollendet hat
    • und sich mindestens 15 Jahre rechtmäßig im Bundesgebiet aufgehalten hat.
    • Dasselbe gilt dann auch für den mit ihm zusammenlebenden Ehegatten mit einer Niederlassungserlaubnis, wenn dieser auch mindestens 60 Jahre alt ist.
  • Eine Niederlassungserlaubnis erlischt auch bei einem längeren Aufenthalt im Ausland nicht
    • bei einem rechtmäßigen Aufenthalt in Deutschland von mindestens 15 Jahren und wenn der Lebensunterhalt gesichert ist (das gilt auch für den Ehegatten mit einem unbefristeten Aufenthaltstitel) oder
    • bei einer ehelichen Lebensgemeinschaft oder eingetragenen Lebenspartnerschaft mit einem deutschen Staatsangehörigen
    • Das Landesamt für Einwanderung oder die Bürgerämter stellen darüber eine Bescheinigung aus. Diese Bescheinigung kann für die Wiedereinreise nach Deutschland erforderlich sein.
    • Mehr Informationen zu der Bescheinigung
  • In allen anderen Fällen kann eine längere Frist auf Antrag erlaubt werden, wenn
    • der Aufenthalt im Ausland nur vorübergehend ist (zum Beispiel zur Pflege eines nahen Angehörigen, für ein Gastsemester während eines Studiums) oder
    • wenn der Aufenthalt im Ausland den Interessen der Bundesrepublik Deutschland dient (siehe oben unter Aufenthaltserlaubnis
    •  
  • Obviously you should check with a lawyer if you think you have special  circumstances but to a risk aversive non-expert like me it does't seem like a good idea. I wouldn't be relying on any goodwill from the UK govt.  People who have lived and worked blamelessly there for decades have been booted out.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the OP plans to continue staying in Germany while working in the UK? Maybe 100% home office? Unlikely for several reasons, but of course possible... 

He/she wrote "working in the UK", not "living in the UK"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems the spammers are posting in regular threads now instead of starting new ones. Probably makes it more difficult for the bot to catch them.

 

Never fear, Fruity is on the hunt and is not afraid to report.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2023, 11:06:05, Gambatte said:

 

But if you work in the UK, where will you physically reside, UK or Germany?

And if you reside in the UK, why would you bother to keep perm. residency in Germany, just in case one day you want to come back? 

And if you continue to reside in Germany after starting the UK work, my guess (probably wrong) is that the perm. residency will continue as it should no longer linked to your work status.

I will reside in the UK for work. But i want to keep perm. residency in Germany. Because I will come back after working few years in UK. Is it possible ?  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imra said:

I will reside in the UK for work. But i want to keep perm. residency in Germany. Because I will come back after working few years in UK. Is it possible ?  

 

Do you meet one of the following criteria:

Quote

A settlement permit does not expire even after a longer stay abroad

  • with a legal residence in Germany of at least 15 years and if the livelihood is secured (this also applies to the spouse with an unlimited residence permit) or
  • if you are married or have a registered partnership with a German citizen

 

Alternatively, could you apply for German citizenship while keeping your current citizenship?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imra said:

Because I will come back after working few years in UK.

Why do you want to come back to Germany afterwards?

Often non-Germans want to come to Germany for either employment, or to stay with their spouse. In such cases it should be simple to get permission.

Or am I missing something? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now