Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is your favorite city in the world?

23 posts in this topic

It's just interesting to see how much people know about this country. It often happens that even if they do, it's either Kiev or Lviv. But just look at Eastern Ukraine, it's really beautiful. My favorite city is Kharkov. In no part of this country, you will not see such beautiful parks, architectural structures of different epochs, unreal cleanliness and love - as in Kharkiv.

Not a city girl. I really like the hills on my doorstep in the Alsace. Having said that I have a real weakness for Jugendstil architecture. Which can be found in so many places. So I will not restrict myself to naming one name. Must get out more anyway...

Last time I was in Hull on a sunny day I thought that was where it was at. There is a huge diversity of impressive architecture in a couple of square km in the old town. Some of it crumbling. :huh: What they have done to the inside of the Minster is crass and unforgivable. :angry:

Lincoln is underrated. Up the top of the hill, that is.

My very first far away trip was to join ship in Montevideo and it blew me away. Although I have been to many, and I mean many cities and town and villages all over the globe since, Montevideo has always held a special place in my heart.

I was blessed with a job that took me places most people would not find on a map and it enabled me to travel to Montevideo time and time again, spending weeks and even months in Uruguay.

Yeah, on the banks of the rive Plate, that is my place.

7 minutes ago, slammer said:

My very first far away trip was to join ship in Montevideo and it blew me away. Although I have been to many, and I mean many cities and town and villages all over the globe since, Montevideo has always held a special place in my heart.

I was blessed with a job that took me places most people would not find on a map and it enabled me to travel to Montevideo time and time again, spending weeks and even months in Uruguay.

Yeah, on the banks of the rive Plate, that is my place.

Montevideo and Uruguay as a whole are beaitiful. The country has recovered from its dire military regime days of the 70s. Therr eas the famous graffiti there: " the last one to leave here, please turn off the lights."

It is a very unknown country in the minds of most Europeans ( except in Spain for historical and language reasons ). I would guess most Europeans have hardly heard of the country or could place it on a map.

Slammer, were you a sailor ? Pirate ? Expéditioner ? Cousteau's whipping boy ? Sorry, cook.

6 hours ago, optimista said:

Slammer, were you a sailor ? Pirate ? Expéditioner ? Cousteau's whipping boy ? Sorry, cook.

Close. cook mainly, but sometimes smuggler, sailor. Man with a tent and not much else, technician and IT whipping boy, never met Cousteau.

22 hours ago, john g. said:

Montevideo and Uruguay as a whole are beaitiful. The country has recovered from its dire military regime days of the 70s. Therr eas the famous graffiti there: " the last one to leave here, please turn off the lights."

It is a very unknown country in the minds of most Europeans ( except in Spain for historical and language reasons ). I would guess most Europeans have hardly heard of the country or could place it on a map.

I have no problem with the map since I was there 6 times on holiday :).

MVD, Punta del Este, Piriapolis, Cabo Polonio (hippie town), Punta del Diablo, Minas, Colonio del Sacramento, Nueva Helvecia (New Switzerland), San Carlos. You name it. Next time, I plan to go to Tucuarembo where they have an annual BBQ festival. The city is remote, but I will find it. No place for vegetarians and vegans.

A901CBA2-7F97-40EA-9E87-B14FFD66C0E4.jpeg

They know meat :).

On 13/01/2023, 17:00:47, Anna66 said:

I love Nice.🇫🇷

It is so beautiful and the food is fantastic.

It is like a mix of Spain, Italy and France.

:wub:

Ah, Nice is nice indeed, but no sandy beach. 

42 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

MVD, Punta del Este, Piriapolis, Cabo Polonio (hippie town), Punta del Diablo, Minas, Colonio del Sacramento, Nueva Helvecia (New Switzerland), San Carlos. You name it. Next time, I plan to go to Tucuarembo where they have an annual BBQ festival. The city is remote, but I will find it. No place for vegetarians and vegans.

Ah, Colonia Helvecia! I was there in 1982 two days after the Falklands/ Malvinas conflict started. I was on my way to Buenos Aires but wouldn't have been allowed to twke the ferry so I phoned my Argentine friends and they took the ferry for a nostalgic meet up after 8 years or do.

But it was called Colonia Suiza back then. I didn't know they had since changed the name!

( I googled your reference to Colonia Helvecia).

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

On 16.1.2023, 20:20:22, john g. said:

Tucuarembo 

Been there. In Montevideo at the harbour there is El mercado del puerto. Another fantastic place to anger a vegetarian. And the cars.... Oh boy the cars.

35 minutes ago, slammer said:

Been there. In Montevideo at the harbour there is El mercado del puerto. Another fantastic place to anger a vegetarian. And the cars... Oh boy the cars.

Chuy! Borfer town with Brazil ( where it's called. Chui). One side of the street was ( is?) Brazil, the other side Uruguy.

I had no money ( 1974 ) and I begged a local butcher for food. He said: " Hey, brasileno, para voce." And he gave me a sausage. My meal for the day.

I can't femember if it was raw.

( I didn't negate his view that I was Brazilian. Food is food).

NOT a hero here. Just the way it was.

Again: alologies for any typos. My beautiful blue eyes are no longer 22!😂

Lucca, Italy

Yes, I like the off the beaten path little towns that are unique and/or whimsical.  Btw, best pizza in Italy other than Lugano and Old Italy mafia hangouts in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.

79f464d7114873d87c102049799ecc54.jpg

Ah, a smuggler. Pray share the stories while we wait for John s new specs.

You want to talk crazy traffic towns, try ho chi minh city aka Saigon 

Watch a wall of motorbikes, come at you while trying to overtake and four lines wide, its like nothing you have every seen for traffic. It common to see people driving the wrong way on the motorways, to take a direct route they want to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZupwFOhjl4

Or Egypt where people do not put the headlights on in the dark because they know it just runs out the light bulb sooner, so they have to buy another one. problem is you then cannot see anybody coming ...

23 hours ago, yesterday said:

You want to talk crazy traffic towns, try ho chi minh city aka Saigon 

Watch a wall of motorbikes, come at you while trying to overtake and four lines wide, its like nothing you have every seen for traffic. It common to see people driving the wrong way on the motorways, to take a direct route they want to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZupwFOhjl4

Or Egypt where people do not put the headlights on in the dark because they know it just runs out the light bulb sooner, so they have to buy another one. problem is you then cannot see anybody coming ...

Ho Chi Min is for beginners. I raise you Tehran. It was the only time since I was about five that I have held another mans hand crossing the road.