Darmspiegelung - colonoscopy

71 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, emkay said:

.. young doctor immediately said I should decide myself where the surgery should be carried out.

I was still disorientated from the sedation. 

1 hour ago, emkay said:

... if I haven’t heard from them in 2 weeks, I should follow up. 

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Bug

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Bugger

Seems to be some confusion. On both sides.

I would expect them to refer you elsewhere when they contact you with the résults. Could your GP contact them on your behalf ?

Nobody can organise anything without the results, surely.

Horrid situation. Sorry you are having to do this.

On 1/20/2023, 7:43:25, emkay said:

I’m not really quite ok since the sedative earlier today,  A biopsy was taken. The results will take 1-2 weeks.

It can easily take a week based on my experience.

A deformed 3cm polyp is quite likely not good news.

It’s know it’s very hard, but try not to go to bad places if you can. On a positive note, a family member of mine had a similar situation and everything was just fine - negative findings. And as to future colonoscopies, I have to have them done in <5 year intervals due to first order family history and they have always been covered, in 🇺🇸 and 🇩🇪. Take good care and wishing you the best.🤞 

I had a colonoscopy recently. I did not opt for the sedative as I wanted to watch everything and be in control as much as possible should anything go wrong. One polyp was found and a biopsy was taken and I am now waiting for the result before they decide on the best way to remove it. This means having a secong op, going on the diet again and taking that damm laxative that goes straight thru you. This is far worse than the actual operation.

A polyp is not neccesarily malignant. Or will become malignant. Have we got to the point where they operate as soon as look at you for the good of their finances ? Sorry to be so cynical but are polyps just part of ageing ? 

The bi-annual stool tests are a nice little earner for the labs. And yes, I do them.

Off-topic... Cannot help wondering how many post ménopausal women are walking about without their uterus when all they had to do was wait and let nature take its course.

Having had 2 serious non-related cancers and a brain aneurysm discovered through regular screenings, I don't give a shit if it's a moneymaker or not.

I wouldn't be here otherwise. 

Geez!

4 hours ago, colincostello said:

I had a colonoscopy recently. I did not opt for the sedative as I wanted to watch everything and be in control as much as possible should anything go wrong. One polyp was found and a biopsy was taken and I am now waiting for the result before they decide on the best way to remove it. This means having a secong op, going on the diet again and taking that damm laxative that goes straight thru you. This is far worse than the actual operation.

Good advice I was given prior to starting the laxative process the day before….sorry if TMI though really helpful. Apply zinc Salbe, nappy rash type cream or Vaseline to anal area. The whole purging process can really irritate sensitive skin. Reapply several times before procedure. Use the softest toilet roll you can get or even ‘balsam’ tissues. 

On 1/20/2023, 6:22:44, emkay said:

I just had a Magendarmspieglung for the first time. This was because of a recent positive ‘blood in stool’ test from my gynaecologist.

I’m quite terrified that despite absolutely no symptoms, I have a very large unusually shaped polyp that must be surgically removed no matter if cancerous or not.  I have to decide which hospital should do this. Advice being…just Google where you prefer!

On 1/20/2023, 7:16:33, catjones said:

kinda surprised they didn't take a biopsy during the colonoscopy.  if positive for cancer, the operation might (probably) be more extensive.

On 1/20/2023, 8:18:21, LeonG said:

Good luck.  I was told that they removed the polyps during the colonoscopy.  Maybe it was too big for that?

Same here, please ask why it wasn't removed/biopsied, and get a second opinion /colonoscopy at a university clinic.

If you can get hold of the doctor's letter / Arztbrief, I can explain the words in a PM or phone call.

Source: own medical background

4 hours ago, Metall said:

Same here, please ask why it wasn't removed/biopsied, and get a second opinion /colonoscopy at a university clinic.

If you can get hold of the doctor's letter / Arztbrief, I can explain the words in a PM or phone call.

Source: own medical background

Thanks for the offer. The letter doesn’t really say much. A biopsy was taken and I have to wait 1-2 weeks for the results. It wasn’t removed during the procedure as it’s too big.