Darmspiegelung - colonoscopy

71 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Why not driving, because of the remaining effect of sedation?

That and liability issues.

12 hours ago, Feierabend said:

having to drink litres of the foul tasting laxative at intervals the night before.

Tip: Drink using a straw.  Less taste.

I had one done in the summer.  Just got the light sedative, got an injection, was out like a light and woke up feeling fine like half an hour to an hour later.  A bit woozy maybe.  I had a gastro once without the sedative and it was horrible so this time I said hell, gimme the drugs. I was told that they would not let me go home by myself, even in a taxi.  Had to have someone come pick me up but actually I don't think it was necessary.  Coming home, I was a bit tired, took a nap and slept maybe 4 hrs. afterwards.

As for the disgusting liquid you have to drink, I had a hard time with that.  I was drinking it through a straw mixed in water the evening before and I had to take my time with it because I would have thrown up otherwise.  For my next bout the following morning, I took a tip from google and mixed it with apple juice.  It was a little bit better but not much.  Somebody I know in the US told me that they have pills for this now.  You have to drink a lot with the pills but you can drink something that tastes good.  Next time I will definitely be asking if that is an option. 

Yes, I read a tip to mix the disgusting liquid with lime juice.  I still cannot face drinking lime juice even now. Pure aversion therapy!

Did you try holding your breath and pinching your nose while drinking the vile bile ?

Just now, optimista said:

Did you try holding your breath and pinching your nose while drinking the vile bile ?

I tried that and I also tried taking a sip of it and then following up with a sip of something else.  That helped.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Wouldn't the word be transphobic?

Oh hell. I can't keep up, either.

Yes, for sure.  The woke version is: "People who don't have a prostate don't get prostate cancer but anybody who has a colon can get colon cancer."  That way, women who have prostates and men who don't will not feel marginalized nor those who don't have a colon for some reason.

I once had a small bowel CT scan and they made me drink 2 1/2 litres of the vile stuff in 40 minutes. That was rough.

When my sister first got one done she had to drink five liters of the really disgusting stuff. The one they use now tastes much better (not good, just better...).

Someone suggested just drinking the stuff while sitting on the toilet. Just watch a movie on the tablet or something. Sounded like a good idea. 

Please, can anyone describe exactly how it tastes, what does it resemble?

Drinking 2.5 litres of anything in 40 minutes could be quite dangerous, that is as much as one might drink in a whole day😕

38 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

There's different flavours; Orange or Lemon or Original. I ended up with Original as all the other flavours were sold out at my chemist.

It comes in powder form, you add hot water, mix it and let it cool down.

It was Ok. It wasn't unpleasant.

In terms of taste/texture it resembled a kid's drink from back in the day; powder and water mixed together.

Which it was.

52 minutes ago, optimista said:

Can t help wondering what that does to the kidneys :blink:

it's not absorbed; it's going straight out the other end. So the kidneys have nothing to do.

With the colonoscopy prep you'll also need to drink a couple of litres of water and I always found even more than that is better. You don't want to get dehydrated and it'll go quicker and easier if you do.

I couldn't describe how it tastes. I think I had something different the first time as it had a slight lemony taste and I had to swallow 10 tablets an hour before. Since then it's just been the vile stuff.

54 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Drinking 2.5 litres of anything in 40 minutes could be quite dangerous, that is as much as one might drink in a whole day😕

Salty Sprite is the best way I can describe it.  Chill it somehow, it tastes less gross cold + the straw advice from earlier.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Can t help wondering what that does to the kidneys :blink:

22 minutes ago, Dembo said:

It's not absorbed; it's going straight out the other end. So the kidneys have nothing to do.

Exactly.

I couldn't describe the taste of the vile stuff that I had even at the time, and I tried to forget about it as quickly as possible. Maybe stale water that cabbage had been cooked in, but with a heavy feel? It's really put me off having it done again.

8 hours ago, Eric7 said:

I had this... didn't taste too bad really.

This eziclen is what I had too and it made me gag. I could only get about 80% of it down and it took much longer than they recommended. I got it from the drs office. They had stacks of it laying around. Next time I'll definitely ask if there is something else.

Erm... you do know that the kidneys process fluids ? Hitting them with litres of water in a short space of time is a good idea ? I doubt it. But I have no medical training. Sounds like shock tharapy.

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Sounds like shock tharapy.

Naw, regular occurrence for those of us who like a couple of beers now and again...and again!:)