Darmspiegelung - colonoscopy

71 posts in this topic

Next year I turn 50 and I was suggested to have one.
I'd like to lower the chances that  my wife becomes a widow, and our daughter an orphan, earlier than necessary, so I'll go for it.
But it doesn't sound much fun. :(

Comment anyone?
You had it done?
Or maybe you it's part of you job doing it to others?

I had one in summer. Full anaesthetic so didn't even notice anything.
The nurse said that she was administering the anaesthetic and literally 3 seconds later I was waking up in the recovery room.
Went home 20 minutes later.
A good mate of mine had his recently and they found a huge growth so better safe than sorry!

On the other hand, the promised Vollnarkose during the bone marrow biopsy didn't materialise and I could feel the doctor fiddling around with his tools. :mellow:

4 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

Full anaesthetic

Interesting. How come, if you don't mind me asking...? I read that full anaesthetic is very rare...

I have had it done twice

Once at about the age of 35, because Blood was coming out of my rear hole, it was all ok, they said that the reason blood was coming out was due to minor cut s, near the exit. So it was not cancer, you can tell this also from the colour of the blood, if its coming from near the exit, then the blood colour is quite bright. If the blood is coming from further up the body, the blood will age, and appear as a much darker colour.

and again at the age of 59, just as a check.again ok

Both times I had it done is was under anaesthetic, so you feel nothing, after you walk up, you also feel no pain. The problem for me is that the day before the inspection, you drink a liquid that make you shit all the time, to clean your body so the doctor can get a good look inside your body. I found this unpleasant as you are always running to the toilet at very short notice and you are not allowed to eat anything.

I had the tube up the arse and the tube down my throat, why not check both while you are out ?

I was told that the one you should have done, is the finger up your arse, sorry cannot remember what its called., because that one is the most common cause of death of cancer. That one is done without an anaesthetic, and you can feel whats going on, I did not like it, but its more important to me to know I am ok, than to go and have this unpleasant check

After the inspection, you are not allowed to drive a car for 12 hours, and not allowed to take public transportation either, so get your wife to drive you., 

@yesterday

thanks a lot.

Why not driving, because of the remaining effect of sedation? I had this on different situation.

I normally cycle everywhere, hopefully cycling will do, my wife doesn't actually drive.

And again, why anaesthetic? I read it's very rare and yet 2 of 2 replies here say  you were under full  anaesthetic...

14 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

@yesterday

thanks a lot.

Why not driving, because of the remaining effect of sedation? 

I never asked but I guess so

I normally cycle everywhere, hopefully cycling will do, my wife doesn't actually drive.

I decided to drive there, because it was quick, I was worried that I might need to go to the toilet quick and I just wanted to be there quick. I asked around and there is this guy in Neubiberg, was recommend by every one, so I went with him. That would have been a cycle ride of half an hour, so the car was just quicker.

So I drove there, had the inspection and got a TAXI back, returned later ( Ubahn, S-bahn ) to pick up my car.

And again, why anaesthetic? I read it's very rare and yet 2 of 2 replies here say  you were under full  anaesthetic...

Dunno, I did not ask, I just thought it was the normal thing to do

26 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Next year I turn 50 and I was suggested to have one.
I'd like to lower the chances that  my wife becomes a widow, and our daughter an orphan, earlier than necessary, so I'll go for it.

Comment anyone?
You had it done?
Or maybe you it's part of you job doing it to others?

Good!  As my first doctor told me during the screening, dying from colon cancer is like being crushed by a glacier.  The onset is so easy to detect and mitigate, and failing to do so is just stupid.  Once the symptoms are obvious, it is usually too late (such as Kirstie Alley).  One of my good friends was so put off by the required cleansing the day before the procedure that he avoided it.  He died at age 62 of colon cancer that had metastasized to his spine and bones.  It was a painful five months for him and very distressing for his wife while he slowly died.

I had my first colonoscopy at 50 and my second at 60.  In both cases, the doctors told me my pipes were clean and my next look, will be when I'm 70.  After that, the doctors recommended the procedure every five years.  I hope to have dozens of more on a regular schedule before I become worm food.  Of all the reasons to die, I'm confident that colon cancer will not be the cause of death for me.

For both of my procedures, the cleansing process started the evening before.  I think my last solid meal was at noon, and after that I could have only clear broth and liquids to drink...and you must drink plenty of liquids for the process to work.  I started the first of two laxative doses at about 1800.  I became very familiar with the bathroom about 45 minutes later, and this lasted about three hours.  The solids in the digestive system are the first to be ejected.  After a few trips over the porcelain convenience, everything was liquid.  The second dose started at about 0400 and the effects lasted about two hours.  The only things coming out where the liquids I put in a few minutes earlier.  By 0700, all was done and my wife took me to the clinic without incident.

I don't know of anyone who had the procedure with a local anesthetic, or even a doctor who will perform the procedure if the patient is not fully sedated.  I do not want to be awake during the procedure.  It really is a non-event, and when you wake up, there is no pain and only a little drowsiness.  If you don't have someone to drive you, take a taxi.  If you ride your bike or drive yourself, you will likely be required to sit for several hours while the effects of the anesthesia dissipate.  You don't do this for yourself, but as a courtesy to the other people on or around the road who you might injure or kill while you are under the influence of narcotics.

While you're at it, get your blood screening for Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) followed by the digital exam.  The digital exam can detect abnormalities in the prostate, but the PSA test is a better indicator of prostate cancer and if done routinely can establish a trend and early indicator should treatment be required.  Men who die over the age of 70 usually have prostate cancer at some level, but don't necessarily die from it.  I do the blood screening every two years and my PSA has been 0.4 ng/ml for the past 10 years.  If my PSA level jumps, I am not wasting any time having a biopsy done to determine the best course of action for me.

As a Crohn's disease sufferer I have to do this every 3 years or so. I once had the sedative for a gastroscopy (down the throat) years before and remembered nothing, not even talking to the doctor afterwards and went home and slept for about 12 hours. Since then I've avoided it and have had 4 colonoscopies without anything and it's fine. It's obviously not really pleasant but to be honest going to the dentist is worse. They do tend to assume you'll have the sedative and I've had to repeat several times that I didn't want it; including my last one which was the first time in Germany. 

Don't cycle or drive. Even if you don't have the sedative you'll be feeling pretty weak and groggy from not eating for 24 hours. That and the prep is the worse bit.

You may not remember it but they generally want you to be conscious during the procedure as they need you to follow instructions - i.e. lie on your back or your side on request. I can only think they'd give you a general anaesthetic if you were already in a lot of pain.

The digital exam can obviously only go a few inches. There's also a Sigmoidoscopy which is more like 8 inches - I had one of those. The colonoscopy is more like 1 metre and can see in to the end of your small bowel (which is the problem area for me). They can also take samples and even mark areas of interest in your bowel with a tattoo.

34 minutes ago, JG52 said:

I do the blood screening every two years and my PSA has been 0.4 ng/ml for the past 10 years.  If my PSA level jumps, I am not wasting any time having a biopsy done to determine the best course of action for me.

I do it at least yearly and it is all over the place, between 3 and 6  and I  regularly need to go back 3 months later for another when its over 4. There are a bunch of reasons why you might see a PSA test that is higher than normal, not least of which is unreliable test results. It was only a few years ago that anything under 10 in men aged 65+ was considered OK, these days they have dropped the limit to 4! Prostate cancer treatment and even a biopsy are not without risks, notably incontinence and Ed!

2 hours ago, Gambatte said:

I wouldn't call it fun, but for most of it you are under sedation.  After the stuff gets in the veins I try to hold on to consciousness but it's impossible, and the wake-up feels like it's the next breath, there is no passage of time, nothing. A cool feeling, really.

And definitely don't delay your first, and get them regularly. I had a tumour removed a few weeks after something showed up on one about five years ago. 

As a small woman, I was advised to be asleep; they said big well-padded men can get through without!  As far as I remember they just gave me something strong to swallow and I woke up quickly to the 'all clear' news. 

The hateful part for me was having to drink litres of the foul tasting laxative at intervals the night before. When it got to the last early morning litre I had to rush into the garden to puke it all up.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

As a Crohn's disease sufferer I have to do this every 3 years or so.

I do too cuz my Dad and his two brothers all died of colon cancer.

Don't cycle or drive. Even if you don't have the sedative you'll be feeling pretty weak and groggy from not eating for 24 hours. That and the prep is the worse bit.

Agreed, although I personally don't have a horrible time like some folks do, thankfully.  In any case, I watched my dad die of the wretched disease and would prefer to avoid it if possible.  So I don't complain about the process.

I was suggested this at the Urologists. So I somehow thought this was only for men, not for women. But obviously this is not so...

Women don't get prostate cancer, but they do get colon cancer 

1 hour ago, tor said:

Women don't get prostate cancer

Yes, exactly.

Never mind transgenders will call us homophobic for saying that.

@JG52 summed up the experience perfectly.

My only additions would be watching a camera up my bum displayed on a giant HD screen was weirdly disturbiing. So I shut my eyes.

Also, eventhough I had a cannula prepared on my hand, I went drug free as suggested by my Doctor performing the procedure. I lasted 4 mins  until "This is the bit that is a bit hard Chelski; it's a tight right angle." After his three attempts I slapped the mat and said "Give me drugs!"

Later.

Woke up very woozy and feeling drunk. Doctor handed me off to Mrs Chelski. Went home and slept for 12 hours (good drugs).

So cycling home is 100% not the best option @Gambatte

And moving on, Men's health is very important. Don't be shy.

I get a 60min Man Medical every year. As part of that my Doctor sticks his finger up my bum, palps my prostrate and we're good to go/live another year.

No dinner and movie though.

36 minutes ago, Chelski said:

@JG52My only additions would be watching a camera up my bum displayed on a giant HD screen was weirdly disturbing. So I shut my eyes.

I always enjoy watching; one of the benefits of not having the sedative. My German doctor was happy to talk me through everything and I got to see my previous surgery from the inside. Fascinating.

Apparently men do have a bit easier than women as we have a bit more room in our abdomens. So I was told.

7 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I always enjoy watching; one of the benefits of not having the sedative. My German doctor was happy to talk me through everything and I got to see my previous surgery from the inside. Fascinating.

Apparently men do have a bit easier than women as we have a bit more room in our abdomens. So I was told.

Each to their own my friend. ;)

6 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Never mind transgenders will call us homophobic for saying that.

Wouldn't the word be transphobic?

Oh hell. I can't keep up, either.