All things Tesla

211 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2022, 2:32:37, MikeMelga said:

1MWh. Remember that most of US  trade routes are in areas with lots of sunshine.

It's clear it will be cheaper to produce it and store it than to buy it from grid in most places. If the warehouse rooftop is the limiting factor, they can still general a couple of MWh per day in the winter.

You made it sound like the ROOF of the truck will be covered with solar panels, therefore @Gambatte has been telling you there is no way you can collect any reasonable amount of electricity in that way.  Anyway, it is all a misunderstanding. 

On 12/3/2022, 3:52:49, slammer said:

I can imagine something along the lines of consciousness transfer. If you leave all the religious mumbo jumbo out of the equation and you are able to scan the exact positions of the chemicals and sugars that make up a brain and replicate it in a neural net, then why not?

If it would be possible, it will be a copy of you, so not really you.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

He actually reached Mercedes a few years ago. Mercedes would buy battery, power train and software from Tesla. Mercedes refused it.

Interestingly  enough

Rivian and Mercedes are to build an EV factory in Europe in the next year or 2. They are partners in the new factory

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/mercedes-partners-rivian-electric-vans

It seems non Tesla manufactures are going to have this market. Not sure why but Tesla seems to have no interest in this market, you can see they need to focus on pickup cars and the small car, that they promised several years ago. 

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

You made it sound like the ROOF of the truck will be covered with solar panels, therefore @Gambatte has been telling you there is no way you can collect any reasonable amount of electricity in that way.  Anyway, it is all a misunderstanding. 

If it would be possible, it will be a copy of you, so not really you.

If the copy is exact downtown to the last whatever then does it matter? 

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

It seems non Tesla manufactures are going to have this market. Not sure why but Tesla seems to have no interest in this market, you can see they need to focus on pickup cars and the small car, that they promised several years ago.

I think they will make a cybertruck-derived van. They have their hands full right now. Each different model requires a different production line.

Then they can use the fleet management software they developed for Semi.

Saw a video a guy caught of the new Tesla semi truck (or articulated lorry for Brits) thing got like 5 million views, rest of his channel average is about 200 views :lol:

Let's see where this goes. Don't forget they have a patent for a cabin radar too, which was never installed in any car, to monitor passengers.

There was an ongoing high resolution radar project running for the past 3 years, but it wasn't talked about for a long time.

Even a month ago Karpathy said they didn't need it, although he's gone from Tesla for a few months.

Looks  like Tesla cannot make/sell the number of cars this year that it wanted to and its cutting the price of cars in China to try and stimulate demand.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-isnt-having-epic-end-093014011.html

This means, Tesla may not be able to to grow the number of cars by 50% a year anymore and the margin of profit will drop. The Tesla share price seems to be taking this in  to account and the growing cheaper competition is not going to help either.

This is just a phase where the company's valuation is being re considered. 

Yes. The share is plummeting but I think they will recover in the long run as Tesla has lot to offer, but still worried as I have bought lot of Tesla stocks in last few months for long term.

Off to Radar topic again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Orz86TgEc

Is anyone in the process of buying new Tesla or waiting delivery? I am really confused about what to do. I ordered a Model-Y in June and still waiting for it. Now with this new radar topic coming up, I am not sure if Tesla decides to fit this next year, can it still be installed on cars being sold now? Does it make sense to refuse the delivery in case I get Car this year and wait for the newer version with HD Radar.

I tried to call Tesla but they don't tell anything at the moment. If the new Radar is coming up, personally I don't mind waiting to get a better car, but off late if you don't accept delivery Tesla is canceling the orders and ordering new car again means waiting another 1-1.5 years which is really shit.

2 minutes ago, DanglingPointer said:

if you don't accept delivery Tesla is canceling the orders and ordering new car again means waiting another 1-1.5 years which is really shit.

They have to sell the older models, don't they?

I don't know what I would do if I were you. Sorry.

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

They have to sell the older models, don't they?

I don't know what I would do if I were you. Sorry.

Offcourse they have to, but what is not clear whether they can fit this HD radar in the older models? Does the Radar fit in where they removed USS. That sort of information is not yet clear or available from Tesla.

3 hours ago, yesterday said:

Looks  like Tesla cannot make/sell the number of cars this year that it wanted to and its cutting the price of cars in China to try and stimulate demand.

Numbers from China from yesterday show good sales number. The problem now is that Giga Shangai has to export a good percentage to other countries, but it's hard to get those ro-ro ships, as chinese companies now export a lot and there are not enough ships for it.

Still, they have 30-40% margin in china, lots where to cut.

But yes, the market for premium EVs is getting saturated in China, it can't grow 50%, they will have to make a mix of dropping prices (cheaper version?) and more exports. All this while waiting for the "Model 2". I also think that the upcoming Model 3 refresh will use all new stuff from Model Y and bring the price down considerably, while maintaining margin.

I started thinking about it, and I found that one potential retardant for the upcoming chinese car invasion is that there are not enough ro-ro ships in the world. This will force Chinese companies to build factories or at least assembly lines in europe.

This means, Tesla may not be able to to grow the number of cars by 50% a year anymore and the margin of profit will drop. The Tesla share price seems to be taking this in  to account and the growing cheaper competition is not going to help either.

This is just a phase where the company's valuation is being re considered.

I actually blame it 50% on interest rates, the other half on Twitter bullshit. The Tesla forward PE is riddiculously low right now. Even when growing less than 50%, it's getting severely undervalued. If I would find this company with these numbers out in the wild, I would buy stock.

1 hour ago, DanglingPointer said:

Is anyone in the process of buying new Tesla or waiting delivery? I am really confused about what to do. I ordered a Model-Y in June and still waiting for it. Now with this new radar topic coming up, I am not sure if Tesla decides to fit this next year, can it still be installed on cars being sold now? Does it make sense to refuse the delivery in case I get Car this year and wait for the newer version with HD Radar.

I tried to call Tesla but they don't tell anything at the moment. If the new Radar is coming up, personally I don't mind waiting to get a better car, but off late if you don't accept delivery Tesla is canceling the orders and ordering new car again means waiting another 1-1.5 years which is really shit.

Nobody knows much about the radar, it's even speculated it's the interior radar. With Tesla you will always have the feeling that if you wait 6 more months you will get a better version of the car. Retrofitting on the older cars might be possible. It certainly is for cameras, but you have to pay for it.

Right now I'm more concerned about the lack of parking sensors, especially because they haven't proved it's not needed.

"Tesla Giga Berlin poised for three-shift vehicle production: report"

Tesla Gigafactory Berlin may have caught a lot of headlines this year due to the controversy surrounding the facility and its local opponents, but the Germany-based Model Y plant is expanding its capabilities at a steady rate. And if recent reports are any indication, it would appear that Giga Berlin is about to raise its vehicle production further. 

As per a report from Märkische Oderzeitung (MOZ), Tesla’s Germany-based factory is currently preparing to adopt a three-shift operation. The new system is reportedly going to start on December 16. The first shift will reportedly start at 6 a.m., the next at 2 p.m., and the third shift at 10 p.m. With such a system in place, Model Y production could continue around the clock in Giga Berlin. 

With its third shift of workers, Giga Berlin is expected to produce substantially more Model Y units than the 2,000 per week reported by the company in October. Insiders have estimated that Giga Berlin is likely at about 3,000 vehicles per week for now. Industry publication TeslaMag.de estimates that the facility could reach an output of about 4,500 vehicles per week with a three-shift system, assuming that the factory only produces cars on weekdays. 

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-giga-berlin-three-shift-vehicle-production-report/

14 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I actually blame it 50% on interest rates, the other half on Twitter bullshit. The Tesla forward PE is riddiculously low right now. Even when growing less than 50%, it's getting severely undervalued. If I would find this company with these numbers out in the wild, I would buy stock.

I see Tesla future very dire and Elon is already costing me money.      The Twitter nonsense is becoming worse day to day.  I have no problem if he is really a Republican that posed as a "center" guy and even supported Democrats for many years, I would see that as business means business.    But he is going already to the extreme, embracing the MAGA people, posting Qanon crap, and so on.    Tesla survived all these years because of the insane amount of money they received from the American government.  What is going to happen if he pisses the Democrats?   What is going to happen if he really pisses the people who are more interested in buying EVs?   Does he think Tesla can survive by selling Cybertrucks to the MAGA clientele? Would they even buy EVs massively?   Mixing politics and business with such noise is never a good idea because you end up alienating your potential customers.

Tesla should distance itself from Elon and his shenanigans before it is too late.

Agree, been saying they should have a new CEO since the Bitcoin bullshit, and especially since the Twitter bullshit.

But Tesla's future is still good. Same way people hate Mark Zuckerberg, but still use Facebook and Whatsapp. I tried leaving WhatsApp, didn't work.

Q4 numbers will still be record numbers, demand in china is still not a long term problem. One analyst correctly said the whole auto sales in China were at very low level in November, and Tesla still pulled record numbers.

Tesla is doing $4B profit per quarter, >30% margin (40% in some models), strong growth and a forward PE below 30. They will have new products soon, which will compensate the saturation on the premium segment. The next growth phase must come from Model 2, Cybertruck and the refreshed Model 3.

I think at worst this low phase in the stock can last until the summer. Best case, recovery starts by end of January, when Chinese start recovering from a huge infection wave that already started.