Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fake tracking number scam

10 posts in this topic

I just thought I would put out a warning for anyone who hasn't encountered this scam on eBay.

I purchased a rare figurine from a merchant in China (mistake #1). They gave me a tracking number to a shipping website. I knew it would be awhile before it would arrive in Germany, so after about a month, I checked the shipping site to get a status update...and according to the information, the item had been shipped, delivered, and signed for two weeks earlier!

I looked closer at the routing information on shipping site, and it was clearly obvious these people thought I was born yesterday. The supposed route had the package leaving China on day one, arriving directly to a "German Customs Office" at my postal code in Berlin on day 12, being processed and released the same day (The Zollamt releasing a €185 item the same day with no taxes? I don't think so!), send to a " European World Shipping Inc" on day 14, and delivered and signed for on day 16.

I filed a fraud complaint with eBay, and (surprise!) my claim was denied, saying that the shipper provided proof that the item had been shipped, delivered, and signed for. I appealed and explained why the routing information on the shipping site was simply impossible, but my appeal was denied and my case was closed.

Fortunately, the Berliner Sparkasse had my back on this one and approved a chargeback (even though they sounded reluctant and asked a number of questions before the approval).

When I went and reviewed the seller's negative rating history, I saw that over the past six months, about a dozen other people had complained about the same thing of being given a fake shipping number and never receiving anything. Further research over Google has shown that this seems to be a relatively new tactic to scam customers--and most frighteningly, eBay will side with the seller each and every time, stating that "proof" of shipping was provided.

I got lucky this time, other people may not (and have not!). Until eBay pulls their head out of the sand concerning this, I would highly recommend not buying conducting any international transactions. Me, I'm just sticking to Amazon--they have people with functioning brains working in customer service and have zero tolerance for sellers pulling these kinds shenanigans. Just thought I'd put that warning out there

Can I ask how you paid ebay for this item, through paypal, credit or debit card, by bank transfer? I am guessing the long transit time allows you to pass some period where a charge back or claim is not allowed, or the money has already been passed.

The shipping company mentioned, was it called "European Shipping Inc"? Just to know if such a name pops up.

Of course, it's trivially easy to create an online fake shipping company website which accepts tracking numbers and produces a series of entries, resulting in the item being received.

I would not, BTW, trust Amazon 3rd party sellers any more than Ebay. All I could imagine might be better with handling customer complaints and maybe even pull accounts more quickly than competitors. I would see it open to the same fake shipping scam as Ebay.

You say it yourself, big mistake importing Chinese crap. Just Don t.

Think of the regime that implements organ harvesting from live donors... amongst other human rights violations. By contributing to their economy we are complicit.

And so much of their slave labour produced cheap crap is rubbish destined for landfill. 

21 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Can I ask how you paid ebay for this item, through paypal, credit or debit card, by bank transfer? I am guessing the long transit time allows you to pass some period where a charge back or claim is not allowed, or the money has already been passed.

I paid for the item with a credit card from the Sparkasse where I bank at. I will break my fingers before EVER using Paypal again, and that's a promise. These people have no problems freezing your account with ludicrous accusations of "suspicious" activity, making you jump through hoops and do backflips to get the restriction lifted, and taking their sweet time to review your case. I ended up losing a winning bid on a spectacular gaming system at a marvelous price, thanks to Paypal suddenly freezing my account due to "suspicious activity" and letting the seller give the item to the next winning bidder. Although I immediately sent in the demanded information on the same day, they didn't lift the restriction until nearly two weeks later. My blood still boils at that one to this day.

2 hours ago, razorsandroses said:

I just thought I would put out a warning for anyone who hasn't encountered this scam on eBay.

eBay eBay

Stay away, stay away

Got ripped off so often, haven't touched that site in about a decade, what a festival of scammers and backed up by an uncaring megacorp. 

I have bought many things from ebay and am generally happy with the stuff I got, even from China

When I have had complaints ebay have helped me to fix the problem

Maybe I was just lucky  

2 hours ago, optimista said:

You say it yourself, big mistake importing Chinese crap. Just Don t.

Think of the regime that implements organ harvesting from live donors... amongst other human rights violations. By contributing to their economy we are complicit.

And so much of their slave labour produced cheap crap is rubbish destined for landfill. 

Guess China will be hosting the World Cup sometime soon then ...