Visitor Visa for Non-Schengen relatives

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I am a SOFA holder and a naturalized US citizen. My parents are Indian citizens. I wish to bring them over to Germany on a visiting visa(Schengen visa) for 90days. When I checked the Schengen website instructions, it mentions that the sponsor needs to submit a “Verpflichtungserklärung” (formal obligation letter) from Rathaus to declare the obligation to finance the cost of the beneficiary's stay in Germany. Since SOFA holders are not allowed to register at the Rathaus, I will not be eligible for this letter. 

Has anyone run into this issue where your parents/in-laws were from a country that needed Schengen visa to enter Germany?

Are you absolutely sure they need a Verpflichtungserklärung? I would try to avoid signing one of those as you can get screwed heavily if things don't go well. I've invited people to Germany from countries that require visas while under SOFA simply with an invitation letter and proof of sufficient living space in the past. So no Verpflichtungserklärung needed in those instances, including people who were retired.

You certainly can register in your town/city under SOFA but it is highly discouraged. Not a good idea. Don't do it.

On 22.11.2022, 08:43:14, kvktm said:

Hi guys, I am a SOFA holder and a naturalized US citizen. My parents are Indian citizens. I wish to bring them over to Germany on a visiting visa(Schengen visa) for 90days. When I checked the Schengen website instructions, it mentions that the sponsor needs to submit a “Verpflichtungserklärung” (formal obligation letter) from Rathaus to declare the obligation to finance the cost of the beneficiary's stay in Germany. Since SOFA holders are not allowed to register at the Rathaus, I will not be eligible for this letter. 

Has anyone run into this issue where your parents/in-laws were from a country that needed Schengen visa to enter Germany?

If they can prove finances for funding the trip and an accommodation plan , they don't need a formal sponsor ship letter