Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to get rid of plastic electric appliances

18 posts in this topic

I have a few plastic goods to get rid of. E,g, a plastic kettle that no longer works. It does not seem correct to just dump them in my bin. How can I dispose of them in the right way?

Retailers like Mediamarket accept small electric items, they are obliged to.    Even if you are not buying a replacement.

1 hour ago, colincostello said:

Any other options 

BTW  Aldi, Lidl, etc ie all the large discount relailers that sell electric appliances also now are obliged accept small electric waste  stuff too.  

Something called the Schadstoffmobil (collection vehicle) calls once or twice a year, takes old paint, chemicals etc usw.

At the electro retailers, where is the bin for broken kettles etc? Is it hidden? I did not spot it when I had a casual look.

16 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

At the electro retailers, where is the bin for broken kettles etc? Is it hidden? I did not spot it when I had a casual look.

Here it is near the tills.  You may need to ask.   We have the luxury here of a monthly streetside pick up, "free" as long as small stuff. But all the retailers take small stuff even here.  They are obliged to.  BTW anything with batteries or bulbs, these must be removed.  Though again, most shops have a separate bin for these.

I've not noticed bins for electro stuff in shops, apart from batteries. I once brought along a bag of cables to BHG to no avail.

On our rubbish company website it says to bring things like that to the special bins at the tip.

Also, there are frequent kerbside pick ups from various Schrott collection vans who put leaflets in the mailbox saying when they're coming. They have collected all sorts of stuff, broken lawnmowers and pumps, electro appliaces, buckled bike wheels ...

I took some bags full of plastic stuff to our local BSR. The man told me to dump it all in the Speermuhl bin. So much for recycing!

1 hour ago, Acton said:

I took some bags full of plastic stuff to our local BSR. The man told me to dump it all in the Speermuhl bin. So much for recycing!

There is some confusion here with plastic and electric stuff. Heading is confusing.  

3 minutes ago, colincostello said:

Is Mediamarkt the same  group as Medimax?

Not sure.  But they all accept small (and small amounts) of Electroschott.

Altgeräteentsorgung | Medimax

"Without buying a new device, you can also buy old devices with an edge length of up to 25 cm

in normal household quantities free of charge with us. (§ 17 Abs.,1, S. 1, Nr. 2 ElektroG as of 01.01.2022)"

I asked at the first-named retailer today. The friendly cashier said that one could hand in smaller items (Kettles, Radios) at the counter, and bigger items (fridges?) at the lager/warehouse door.

She said they do not have a box where you can chuck the stuff in yourself. I guess people would put all sorts of other rubbish in a box😉

I went to Medimax today and there was a big bin where therer were already several discarded electrical items. So I dumped my plastic kettle in there. Will it do any good? I doubt it, but at least I tried.

One does hope that the discarded electric devices are picked up by a firm that recovers recycleable parts, could be good business.

But does anyone know? Apparently a lot of the stuff we carefully put in recycling bins is burnt.

At the train station there used to be bins for recycling, but many have gone.

There are now general bins with stickers: "wir trennen fuer Sie"/we sort for you!