Corona SofortHilfe - Penalty for Mistakes?

4 posts in this topic

Hello

I made a genuine mistake when I claimed my corona money. I was a massage therapist and had to stop work completely. It's a complex situation because i had income from subletting my studio, but the worse case scenario is that I wasn't entitled to any of it. If that's the case, I will obviously have to find a way of paying it all back. But will be there be fines or even criminal proceedings?

Did you declare your income from letting the studio when you applied for Coronahilfe?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I have heard of similar cases where the money has to be paid back and  the person concerned asked to repay the amount in installments. Perhaps you can ask them if they would agree to this.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Good luck.                                                                                                                                                          

Yes I did. It was on my tax return too. I have no doubt that I am facing a big bill, and my best case scenario is that they will allow me to pay in instalments. I asked Verdi the union about it. They said they couldn't give specific advice, but said I should be cooperative and say that I made the error in good faith.

Sally

Will update this post as the story unfolds, as I am sure I am not the only one who is in this situation.

A friend of mine guesstimated his income too low for the first wave and it turned out he got almost 4000 too much. He got a letter some time ago that he's supposed to repay it but his accountant said not to worry. No threats yet so it seems they are not in a hurry, at least not here in Niedersachsen