Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can I use a UK sim card in a German phone?

33 posts in this topic

My Uk dumb phone no longer works very well. So I am thinking that I could buy a German dumb phone and put my UK sim in it. Will this work? It seems I have got nothing to lose by trying anyway. If nothing happens , then I can get a German sim.

What do you all think?

Will work without any issues, just try to buy an unlocked phone.

If you want I can send you a smartphone (android), for free, I don't need it anymore.

12 minutes ago, colincostello said:

My Uk dumb phone no longer works very well. So I am thinking that I could buy a German dumb phone and put my UK sim in it. Will this work?

If your UK sim on UK dumb phone was working before (on German network) then it will work with German dumb phone too. 

Dear Mr Bear ,

thanks for the kind offer of a smartphone. You are not the first  to offer. But I must decline. I have no desire to own a smartphone. They look terribly complicated. But thanks all the same. I am happy enough with my dumb phone.

No problem.

As you wish. If you change your mind just PM me.

And don't worry, I need no payment for it, I personally have in house around 8 smartphones, if I give you one I will not even notice.

yes that should work, as long as you switched it on in the last 6 months or a year depending on the contract you have

However, if you use your UK in Germany, it may switch its self off after a period of time, my three SIM did this as it was during the pandemic and I could not get back to the UK

My three SIM card, would auto de activate after it was used in the EU, and had not been used in the UK after 3 or 6 months ...

I was too lazy I should have sent it to Britain and got my bother to use it - then it would have out lasted the pandemic

For me its fair enough, all phone companies have rules which you need to understand and follow otherwise the SIM will not work anymore.

I have been looking at some senior dumb phones. They have a larger keyboard which I find useful. But the staff tell me they are not pay as you go, but prepaid. Is there a difference? 

42 minutes ago, colincostello said:

I have been looking at some senior dumb phones. They have a larger keyboard which I find useful. But the staff tell me they are not pay as you go, but prepaid. Is there a difference? 

Not that I've ever been able to work out. 

Reading this thread it sounds like your UK PAYG SIM has stopped working because of you not being in the UK and you think buying a phone in Germany will solve that. It won't. You could get a German SIM for free and put it in your UK phone, assuming there's nothing wrong with it, but of course you'd have a German phone number.

I have been chatting to the network provider. This is Tesco , a major store chain in the UK. They try their best to help me , but it is clear from the chat  that they know little more than me.

One thing they did confirm was that my phone can be used abroad wothout any fuss or bother.

44 minutes ago, colincostello said:

Can I really get a German sim card for free?

I think most of them will give you a sim card for free. For example:

https://www.vodafone.de/freikarten/callya/?tariff=classic&void=33333671&b_id=2117&c_id=sea_cic_307:deb_key_bso__per_nta_dive_brand-solo&extProvId=330&extPu=75118-gaw&extCr=612886323311&extPm=134382340465&extTg=kwd-13474821&extLi=134382340465&keyword=kwd-13474821&extAP=&extMT=e&gclid=CjwKCAiA68ebBhB-EiwALVC-NjxwPAadiJAptlA0fMQgOTukKfL0samT9hLi_Qaaia-CtaXnQYXcXxoCRUoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You will have to do the ID thing though.

14 minutes ago, colincostello said:

I have been chatting to the network provider. This is Tesco , a major store chain in the UK. They try their best to help me , but it is clear from the chat  that they know little more than me.

One thing they did confirm was that my phone can be used abroad wothout any fuss or bother.

As it happens I was with Tesco PAYG in the UK when I moved here in 2020. I kept it for about 9 months in Germany (and without going back) without any issues. Maybe they don't enforce it, but obviously they're assuming you live in the UK and one problem with a mobile phone is that your provider knows where you really are.

I don't think there are any "free" German sim cards?  There are monthly plans that don't cost anything if you don't make any calls/texts or use any data.  For most German prepaid sim cards you pay 10 Euro for the sim card and the sim card has a 10 Euro credit on it when you activate it.  With a German prepaid sim, you'll need to do a video activation showing your passport.  

Some of the best prepaid plans are Aldi Talk (on the o2 network), Edeka Smart (on the Telekom network) and Lidl Connect (on the Vodafone network).  Here's a link that covers many of the German prepaid companies:  https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Germany

You'll need to check what the plans currently offer as they usually change over time on the amount of data offered for each four week period.  

S.

Thanks Shenandoah ,

some good links to follow up. But the saga contines... I went to a small phone store to try and buy a dumb  phone and then transfer my sim card from my Tesco phone to this new one. I had looked at the big stores first , such as Saturn and Media Markt, But the staff were always busy and seemed to be in a rush with each customer. That is when mistakes get made.

So I went into a small phone store with no customers in . He showed me a dumb phone and  kindly took my sim out from my phone and tried to insert it into the new one. But he could not!!!. The thin , flimsy rectangular material surrounding the sim , which I now know is called an adaptor, would not slide into the new phone. He then got out several other adaptors and tried for a few minutes to  make the transfer. He could not. So I left.

Every time I nail down one problem , another one pops up. 

colincostello,

There are three sim card sizes (smallest to largest):  nano, micro and standard.  Yes, when using an adapter to make the sim card larger, it is sometimes difficult to keep the adapter around the sim while trying to insert it in the phone.  One thing you could try is using a piece of tape (transparent desk tape) on the top of the sim card and adapter to keep it together.  The tape would be on the side with the writing/numbers, not the gold/metal contact side.  Good luck.  

S.

Depending on how old the UK dumb phone is, it might be the 5 Volt version, meaning it will not work with the new 3.5 volt standard.

However it would have to be a very old dumb phone for that to be the case.